Any - True Cost of Motoring. - RaineMan

I strongly suspect many people do not know the true cost of running their car. The other evening I pulled into my drive when someone I know vaguely was walking by. He made the comment “You must be a rich man”! I queried this and he said “To put the petrol in that car”. That car is an old (sub £1000) V6 Vauxhall that replaced my old 2 litre Omega. The petrol costs are not really that high as I only do about 5000 miles per annum. I pointed this out and the fact that his car had already lost around £5000 in its first year. He mumbled “You must be a rich man” again and strolled off. It is nearly as if some people think depreciation is not real money as it does not appear on their credit/debit card statement.

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - veryoldbear

There are two "true costs".

• The total cost of running a car including depreciation, and fixed costs such as road fund licence and insurance, as well as fuel, servicing etc and:
  • The marginal cost of running extra miles which only includes variables such as fuel costs and servicing i.e. the extra cost of running additional miles if you have the car anyway.

The two are frequently confused, particularly with regard to mileage allowances etc.

Let the argument begin .....

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - Collos25

With the depreciation and interest charges on a new car fuel costs are quite small I suppose.I have gone from doing around a thousand miles a week to almost nothng now I am retired and am now contemplating an older large Mercedes/Bmw with a biggish petrol engine and I suppose everybody will thing I have come up on the lottery but I am fed up with running diesels .

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - fredthefifth

I think he was trying to have a subtle go at the engine and couldn't deal with your response!

FTF

Edited by fredthefifth on 26/06/2010 at 08:04

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - bintang

Golf/Focus/Hyundai i30 etc. about 35 pence per mile all in. Work out the cost of your next long trip and you will realise you can't afford to go.

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - galileo

Golf/Focus/Hyundai i30 etc. about 35 pence per mile all in. Work out the cost of your next long trip and you will realise you can't afford to go.

I would submit that having bought, taxed and insured the thing and suffering depreciation 24/7 anyway, the choice is between petrol at £5 per 45 - 50 miles and the train/bus fare for 2, 3, 4 or 5 people for the same journey.

Even for a driver only trip, the added comfort and convenience of the car is worth the premium (and for some destinations there is no realistic alternative.

Exactly. the marginal cost of running a car for extra miles is very small. This is the big problem with car v public transport.

Edited by veryoldbear on 26/06/2010 at 21:34

OK, put it this way: Work out the cost of running a car and you will realise you can't afford it.

Not 'arf, particularly if it's a new car, when the depreciation makes your eyes water.

Details at www.whatcar.com/ include all-in cost per mile (I think over 3 years) of nearly all current models. Go to "compare three cars" (even if you only want to check one) and then Running Costs

But that only works for new cars. For the majority of people that buy secondhand, the figures for depreciation are very different. And it does not give you any indication of the marginal cost of motoring i.e. how much it costs per mile if you have the car anyway.
Any - True Cost of Motoring. - Alby Back

My accountant has been assuring me for years that it was costing me about £12000 a year to do 40000 miles a year in my Mondeo diesel estate. He's the expert but even my back of an envelope calculations come to more or less the same gross figure. VAT allowances etc helped to soften things a bit of course but even using the raw figure that comes to 30p a mile. Doesn't allow for any unforeseen major repairs but I was fortunate enough not to need any of those thank goodness.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 27/06/2010 at 23:39

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - TheOilBurner

He mumbled “You must be a rich man” again and strolled off.

I've had this from my family. They listen to the roar of my V6 C5 and shake their heads and say stuff like "diesel is so much better...". Pah!

When I try to point out that the equivilent diesel option was £3,000 dearer (I only paid £5k for my car as it was) and only returned 10mpg or so more (official figures), it all falls on deaf ears. "V6s, very pricey". I've only managed 7,000 miles in the last year so fuel costs are not a worry. Depreciation has been less than £1,000 in a year and my last road tax (due to be affixed Thursday) cost me only £245. I feel very happy with my V6! In fact, my average fuel economy is usually within 3-4mpg of the family workhorse - the 2.2 petrol Zafira.

I put the attitude down to jealousy myself... ;)

Every time I open the throttle, I'm reminded of why I chose it, and there's no DPF nonsense fitted either!

Edited by TheOilBurner on 28/06/2010 at 12:53

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - P3t3r

I got my new car when prices reached their lowest point in 2009. It looks like prices have gone up by around £2000. I just got my car valued on a website, and it was slightly more than I paid for it. When I last went to a dealer they were advertising cars like mine for more than £1000 more than I paid for it when it was new.

So my depriciation for the first year of a new car is approx £0. If you get the price down on a new car then they could be very good value. I wouldn't want to buy a car now though because they cost so much more than they did last year. The difference in price between a nearly new and new car seems to be quite small, although it probably makes sense to buy nearly new car rather than new if you plan to replace it within a year or two.

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - dereckr

“I strongly suspect many people do not know the true cost of running their car”.

Leaving out the “true” cost and dealing with the monetary cost to the driver owner, I have worked it out. I paid £6k for a three year old ex lease 74k vehicle, in 2005. I have kept all the receipts for repairs and servicing (routine servicing and repairs done myself) major work has been done by an independent Citroen agent. I’ve added all the expenses for insurance, tax, breakdown cover and MOTs. Assuming the vehicle is now of no value, some 106000 miles later it works out at 10p per mile. Add fuel at the current rate, that’s 11p per mile. Cost (to me) of every mile I’ve travelled is thus 21p per mile.

Clearly my high mileage helps to minimise the affect of the overall “cost per mile” of any major work.

As this thread seems to have a tint of anti diesel bias, I’ll leave out the calculated overall saving over the petrol alternative.

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - Avant

Out of interest, P3t3r, what car do you drive? I'd guess something small like a Mini or Fiat 500, which hold their value, or a Ford (Ford kept increasing prices during 2009).

It does make sense to buy some cars new.

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - Glenn 42

Diesel makes sense if you do high mileages. It's a shame that we don't have the same duty regime as most of Europe where diesel is far cheaper and the majority of cars have been diesel for well over 10 years now. A car that could do 120 mph and return 65 mpg on the open road was a fantasy 30 years ago, but is now a reality, and really we should have encourage diesel technology in the same way the French have done.

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - turbo11

“I strongly suspect many people do not know the true cost of running their car”.

Many people I know would never even give it a thought. Especially when they pay for their fuel on a credit card.This doesn't have the same effect as handing over wads of cash.Public transport is not an option(I wouldn't use it,even if it was) where I live.. For me paying road tax and fuel is no different than any other bills that come through the door.As for depreciation, I have had five new cars in the past and never considered it. For me they are just another larger and more expensive white good like a freezer, dishwasher, HD tv etc....use it till its worn out,then buy another.

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - b308

Diesel also makes sense on low mileages if someone else is paying for the car and you only pay fuel costs!

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - OldSkoOL

I agree - everyone is different, people just look at what they can afford a month, get a new car on finance and be happy with it.

imo i think someone who buys new, something like a scirocco is pretty crazy, especially borrowing against a highly depreciating asset.

Anyway, my purchases aren't exactly solid. I just bought an 07 335d coupe. Great spec low miles etc for not much more than 20k so excellent price which will minimize depreciation. I just happened to find a guy that needed to release cash and desperatly needed to pay off the finance on his car as it was up the following day of the sale.

I paid his finance, which left him with about £300 difference. He lost half the value of it. Insane.

Now i expect to loose quite a bit myself over the 3 years on this car but based on my earnings i know i cover this depreciation in x amount of time plus a healthy lump in the savings pot over 3 years.

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - NARU

My mother wasn't driving a huge number of miles, so I persuaded her to ditch the car, and put the money she normally spend on servicing, fuel, insurance etc into a taxi fund. She's saving a fortune.

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - softopdriver

I kept my last car, a 98 Mondeo 1.8 Estate for near on exactly 3 years, it was 10 year old with 122k when I bought it and was sold on at 166k still running brilliantly.

I keep a spreadsheet with all costs and petrol usuage, and my costs worked out to be 7p/mile for everything excluding petrol costs (purchase cost, all servicing, repairs, tyres, consumables, tax, insurance and this was then offset by the final resale value). The fuel cost over this time was 11.6p/mile at a typical mid to high 30's MPG throughout this time. Therefore my total running cost over 3 yrs/45k miles was just under 19p/mile.

Hopefully this information will be of some use as a ballpark reference point for people driving cars of similar age/size/mileage.

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - dereckr

Hello softopdriver

Sorry to question your otherwise useful post but by my arithmetic, 11.6p per mile at mid to high thirties mpg, would put the pump price at just under a £1 per litre. It’s not been that for some time, which doesn’t tally with the information given about the age and length of ownership of the vehicle. At today’s price, high thirties mpg would be around 14p per mile.

Edited by dereckr on 01/07/2010 at 14:55

Any - True Cost of Motoring. - softopdriver

My apologies, my fuel expenditure spreadsheet for the whole of the first year got wiped out so the fuel records only cover 2/08-2/10 whereas my capital/maintenance expenses costs are for the full 3 year period. In that first year I drove 20k miles but now have no fuel expenditure or usage data.

In the remaining 2 years I have covered 25k miles, spent £2902 on petrol and this has bought me 2937 litres. In this time I have achieved a minimum MPG of 29.3, high of 40.7 and an average of 36.9. Petrol prices over this time were a low of 85.9p/litre, a temporary high of 115.9 during summer 2008 (as prices rocketed for a few tank fulls), otherwise a typical high price was 109.9. Rather co-incidentally, this gives an average cost of 100p/litre at the times and prices that i filled up.

Hopefully this helps.

Edited by softopdriver on 05/07/2010 at 15:03