mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - claireclk

can anyone advise what sort of problem this is, my oil pressure drops down to zero and i get a rattling noise like a cam noise when driving,, once engine is switched off it clears itself and doesnt happen for a few days.

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - Peter.N.

If your oil pressure gauge is telling you the truth, I would get it looked at quick before you wreck the engine.

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - barkas

As above..urgently...Loss of oil pressure means that contact surfaces within the engine are running dry, this results in the "death rattle" that you can hear which means the engine has already been damaged

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - Peter D

The first rattle you here if the hydrualic tappets being starved of oil. Urgent attention is required. Regards Peter

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - Peter D

Even if the pressure relief valve stuck open I would not expect the pressure to fall to zero.

Regards Peter

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - Dyaneman
At the risk of coming across as condescending, have you tried checking the oil?

yes check the oil weekly and never seems to use any. I have an oil and filter change and the car ran perfect for about 2 weeks, but the problem has come back again. It can make this noise at least 4 times a week then somedays it runs perfectly.

thankyou

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - bathtub tom

>>yes check the oil weekly

Exactly what procedure do you use? Do you use the dipstick and what does it show? Does it have a dipstick, or is it one of these that has a dashboard display of oil level?

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - Dyaneman
If there is sufficient oil (checked at the dipstick, rather than by any dashboard indicator) possible causes could be a dying oil pump, or a blocked or damaged strainer (in the sump). Regardless, this needs to be sorted fast, before the engine is severely damaged.
mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - 659FBE

Check that the plunger is still in the timing chain tensioner - the simplex chains wear badly and this is sometimes the ultimate failure mode (thanks, M-B). You should be able to tell if your engine has a simplex chain by looking under the oil filler cap.

As stated above, don't consider running the engine until the low oil pressure problem is resolved.

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - madf

my oil pressure drops down to zero and i get a rattling noise like a cam noise when driving,, once engine is switched off it clears itself and doesnt happen for a few days

When I read that I assume you mean that "it clears itself" means the oil pressure is NOT zero and is normal then. Is that correct?

If so, you may have a partially blocked oil pressure relief valve...

my oil pressure drops to zero but when i switch the engine off and wait five mins and start up again it goes back upto 3 but after a few miles it will drop down again,

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - Collos25

You don't want to believe the engine is kaputt but whatever the problem you will not cure it without finding the fault and to do this it has to be an engine strip down.You have no oil pressure so to start with you need to look at the pump if thats ok then the engine is that worn out its not worth bothering with unless you want to fit a recon unit maybe worth it if the car is mint otherwise sc*** it.

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - blondewivabrain

thanks andy ill think ill just sale the car for spares

mercedes 190e - low oil pressure and rattling noise - Avant

Blondewhatsit - are you the same person as Claireclk? If not, she may be a little upset that you are responding as if you are she.