peugeot 106 xrd 1.4 diesel 1993 - peugeot 106 diesel head gasket - lotzofloot

Where can i get a thicker than standard head gasket for a 1993 peugeot 106 xrd 1.4 diesel (tud3 engine)?
i need the thickest gasket i can find
the head has had at least 1mm machined or skimmed from it. There are thicker than standard head gaskets - I just can't find a supplier.

peugeot 106 xrd 1.4 diesel 1993 - peugeot 106 diesel head gasket - Peter.N.

If you can get what Citroen call a 'repair gasket' , they are multi layer steel and are thicker than standard, or at least my XM one was, they are also very tough. As long as the gasket is thicker than the protusion of the pistons above the top of the block you shouldn't need to worry, if it improves the compression that can't be bad.

peugeot 106 xrd 1.4 diesel 1993 - peugeot 106 diesel head gasket - Dyaneman

I have in the past rebuilt one of these engines, and have to say that to the best of my knowledge thicker head gaskets are not available. With such an extensive skim required, my advice would be to find another head.

You 'may' be able to work with the head you have by cutting the valve seats deeper, but I really do recommend another head. PSA diesel heads typically have a piece to the edge of the mounting face which is raised from the face to indicate when the skiming limit is passed (when it becomes flush) and the head should be sc***ped. M and M at Holmfirth would be a good bet for a s/h head.

The TUD3 is prone to head gasket failure, due to small radiators, weak water pumps and a design of cooling system which restricts coolant circulation until the thermostat opens to the point at which localised overheating occurs, and eventually blown HG. I suggest you check the condition of the radiator, and fit a new one if it is at all deteriorated, and also modify the thermostat by drilling a 2mm hole in its flange, which will permit some circulation with closed thermostat, and considerably improve reliability. It will also make the system easier to bleed (which must be done with an extension, such as inverted 2 litre pop bottle with the bottom cut off wedged into the radiator filler, with engine run until thermostat opens).

Edited by Dyaneman on 21/06/2010 at 16:48

peugeot 106 xrd 1.4 diesel 1993 - peugeot 106 diesel head gasket - Sharky

I can confirm what Dyaneman says having owned a 1993 106 1360cc Diesel for 11 years. The head gasket has been done 3 times (the last time by myself) and I am convinced the poor cooling setup is in part responsible. It doesn't help that my journey to work leaves the car engine steaming and the thermostat not quite open. I've even had the expansion tank blow on me before along with internal heating radiator. If only I'd known this car was designed wrong from the start. Did they get it right with the 1.5 version I wonder?

Anyway, I've just fitted a new radiator (Identical except for it has no lower drain plug) and, after reading this, plan to drill one of those 2mm holes! I just need the radiator to start working a bit earlier. The thermostat is new itself too as I only changed it before Christmas. I've changed everything on this cars cooling system and it's almost driven me nuts!

peugeot 106 xrd 1.4 diesel 1993 - peugeot 106 diesel head gasket - 659FBE
They did get it right on the TUD5 1.5 litre engine fitted to the later 106 vehicles.

They used cast iron for the engine block (Al block diesels don't generally work - long term) and made the cooling system largely self-venting with a degas pipe running from the top of the cylinder head to the expansion tank. There is another to vent the top of the radiator. Water pumps do not seem to be a problem although I changed the one in my partner's car at 100k miles as a precaution.

My partner's TUD5 106 has covered 163k miles with no engine attention whatever - other than good routine maintenance including coolant renewal.