What IS it with motorcyclists - Ben 10

Driving my daughter to school the other morning. Driving around a right hand bend that straightens out on approach to a turning on the left.

A motorcyclist approaching the give way line at speed from this turning, looks at me approaching, does not attempt to slow down and crosses into my path.

I flash my headlights to make him aware I was there. He duly takes his left hand off the bike and gives me a two fingered salute. Why? Has he never seen a motorcyclist squashed beneath a lorry before. I have. Its not a pretty sight. And no, there was no use of my horn. It was just he knew he was in the wrong and that he thought he could do what he likes.

What IS it with motorcyclists - Avant

Just an idiotic lout in a hurry.

Let's make it clear, though, that we on this forum (and probably you too) agree that the vast majority of motorcyclists are the opposite of this. Indeed as a rule they are much better than car drivers in helping each other out, and there is a great fraternity among bikers - hence our Bikers' Caff section..

What IS it with motorcyclists - jc2

Did you have to brake?if not,why did you flash your headlights at him?

What IS it with motorcyclists - RicardoB
Chances are it was one of the majority that we have wrecking our rural peace and quiet every weekend at this time of year.

You know the ones; high powered brightly coloured sports bike with riders in their colourful matching leathers and earplugs, to insulate them, but no one else, from the modified can/exhaust, whilst they take the racing line on the public highway expecting everyone else to "think bike", whilst they think of themselves, safe in the knowledge that their carefully angled number plate, often with dodgy letters/numbers, will evade any cameras/observers.

Sorry, but my experience is that far too many bikers do give themselves and others a poor reputation.

The irony is that these bikes are fine pieces of design and engineering when leaving the factory, with legal exhausts, and the modifiers for some reason have a wish to be akin to boy racers by making totally pointless mods.

And the tragedy is that accidents do happen - sometimes with other vehicles, but also, single vehicle incidents not quite getting round bends etc.

Live and let live, I know, but it gets me that in a car, we may well get done for, say, doing 35 in a 30 limit, but many bikes are ignored doing 100+ on certain A and B roads.

What IS it with motorcyclists - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

If you did not have to brake or manouver to avoid the bike why bother?

They were probably on a self induced high and zipped out with the tremendous acceleration that a powerful bike affords. If you had time to flash and he(?) had time to gesticulate it would suggest that things were not happening too closely.

Err as for the above, that's a conspiracy theory and belongs on the fantasy shelf. Bikers are much more likely to be killed and ARE subject to the same laws as car drivers.

I'm both are as many of my friends and family.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 20/06/2010 at 20:20

What IS it with motorcyclists - NARU

You come across as having formed an opinion, and are actively looking for the evidence to convict a whole group of people based on few actions.

I see far more dangerous manoevres from car drivers than bikers on my commute. And generally I find that lorry drivers are better than either. There are obviously good and poor drivers in every group.

Followed one lady (car driver) yesterday who did an illegal right turn nearly hitting a car coming the other way because she was so busy on her phone.

Most of the poor biking I see around here are kids on their mopeds - not breaking any speed limit or law but putting themselves in un-necessarily risky situations - just not experienced yet, often riding on L plates.

What IS it with motorcyclists - Pat L

I agree with the OP and RicardoB in general terms. We have these totally arrogant and lawless bikers in our area (Vale of Evesham/Stratford) in the summer. They do ludicrous speeds and often overtake in extremely dangereous places. They even overtake through the narrow gap against oncoming traffic (which includes lorries and buses!).

I know there are lots of responsible bikers but the ones that ricardo describes tend to be extreme risk-takers and in some cases appear suicidal. I saw one today stopped by an unmarked police car between Stratford and Warwick and he looked a bit sheepish! But most of the time they get away with outrageous road behaviour.

Last summer I noticed one group of these bikers being acccompanied by a couple of police bikes, presumably to moderate their behaviour (Cotswolds). Says it all really, and what a drain on police resources.

What IS it with motorcyclists - oilrag

It`s Challenger Tanks double parked on yellow lines outside schools that get to me.

What IS it with motorcyclists - martint123

"Last summer I noticed one group of these bikers being acccompanied by a couple of police bikes, presumably to moderate their behaviour (Cotswolds). Says it all really, and what a drain on police resources."

Or www.bikesafe.co.uk/

Edited by martint123 on 20/06/2010 at 22:47

This may have been what I saw, but it looked more like a couple of police riding with about 10-12 bikers. Either way it ties up two officers but maybe it works (though I doubt it!). These riders have passed a test, know the rules/laws and yet choose to flount them.

What IS it with motorcyclists - pint6x

This may have been what I saw, but it looked more like a couple of police riding with about 10-12 bikers. Either way it ties up two officers but maybe it works (though I doubt it!). These riders have passed a test, know the rules/laws and yet choose to flount them.

Well why don't you take the trouble to find out WHY the police were riding with the motorcyclists before jumping to the conclusion that the motorcyclists were "tying up two officers"?

Most motorcycle police officers are enthusiasts, many of whom give up a rest day to run Bikesafe courses because they (rightly) believe that it makes better and safer motorcyclists. A lot of motorcyclists actively choose to improve their road skills at personal expense because they are aware of their vulnerability and take pride in riding quickly and safely.

Whilst I know many motorcyclists who have trained way beyond the compulsory "test" I do not know many car drivers who have done anything to improve their driving skills after their test.

I could cite many examples of idiotic and dangerous behaviour by car drivers, but I'm aware it is a minority and not necessarily one particular group: young drivers, company car drivers, school-run mums, 4x4 drivers, van drivers, people using their phones whilst driving etc etc.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that all motorcyclists are dangerous and make lots of noise. Even when it appears they are making a manoeuvre you would consider dangerous, it could well be the case that they have far better visibility than you and are reacting accordingly.

Oh, and it's "Flout" not "Flount"

What IS it with motorcyclists - 999birdie
You know the ones; high powered brightly coloured sports bike with riders in their colourful matching leathers and earplugs, to insulate them, but no one else, from the modified can/exhaust.

I'm a biker, (and driver) and I assure you that no bikers wear earplugs to muffle the sound of their bike! Its the wind noise which necessitates the plugs.

I agree about some bikers giving the rest of us a bad name with their anti-social behaviour - but then its only because we're a relatively small group that a few conspicuous idiots can have such an effect. Bikers display far better roadcraft, on average, than drivers, and are (as someone has already said) much more likely to have had advanced training. Plus when was the last time you heard of a biker KSIing someone other than themselves by riding aggressively? Whereas boy racers in their highly modified, similarly loud, yet far less capable machines...

Many forces don't allow cars to pursue bikers, because, if someone isn't prepared to stop upon seeing blues in their mirror, chances are that any pursuit will only end when the suspect loses control... not great in a car, downright messy on a bike.

I shouldn't have to brake hard. He was approaching give way lines. I had priority. I had to slow and the flash was to make him aware I was there as per the use of the flash function.

All he had to do was raise an arm to acknowledge his mistake. But no, he had a go.

What IS it with motorcyclists - bonzo dog

There are clearly idiots on two, four & more wheels; & like everyone else on this forum I come across them regularly. However, sticking to the actual incident, what speed (in relation to the speed limit) where you doing when the m/c pulled out?

You see, I frequently pull out from a side road when a car is coming towards me on the main road, when I know that if he is sticking to the speed limit (& bear in mind he is currently some distance away) I will be able to accelerate to the speed limit well before he gets to me, only to find that as he is travelling well above the speed limit he gets to me rather sooner.

If he then flashes at me, he gets an abusive sign also.

What IS it with motorcyclists - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:...""There are clearly idiots on two, four & more wheels; & like everyone else on this forum I come across them regularly. ""

Agreed - but the ones on two wheels tend to be travelling a lot faster. I saw a road rage incident where I was waiting to turn left out of a limited visibility T-junction. The woman in the car in front made a move when the road was clear, but a biker, travelling very fast (100mph+) from the right appeared and was forced swerve and overtake the car as it accelerated on the main road. He then did an emergency stop in front of the car, on the main A36, forcing the car to stop. The road had appeared clear when the car pulled out - there's no way of knowing if a motorcycle approaching at high speed is hidden just out of view!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 21/06/2010 at 10:38

Bonzo,

As I had just came round off the bend close to the speed limit.

Why does a flash require an abusive sign from the MC. We seem to have asumed that a flash or a toot is an aggresive action nowadays. It is a warning. A flash or a toot lets the inattentive person know that someone is there, about to crash into them, wake them up or in the case of my LGV training, inform them I'm about to pass.

The process means nothing more, so does not require the salute you would display. He and maybe you should see these actions for what they are. They are not for having a pop. But if you feel that a flash highlights your bad driving then you should take the hint like a man and respond reasonably. Two fingered salutes just winds the other driver up.

What IS it with motorcyclists - kithmo

Ben10, you timed it wrong, you should not have slowed down, you'd have got him then ;0)

HGV versus M/C = no contest.

Why does a flash require an abusive sign from the MC. We seem to have asumed that a flash or a toot is an aggresive action nowadays. It is a warning. A flash or a toot lets the inattentive person know that someone is there, about to crash into them, wake them up or in the case of my LGV training, inform them I'm about to pass

Agreed 100%

If the flash is simply a warning to another road user it should be acknowledged with a friendly wave. If it is anger when the flasher is in the wrong, then another form of wave is, I believe, not inappropriate

What IS it with motorcyclists - Westpig
You see, I frequently pull out from a side road when a car is coming towards me on the main road, when I know that if he is sticking to the speed limit (& bear in mind he is currently some distance away) I will be able to accelerate to the speed limit well before he gets to me, only to find that as he is travelling well above the speed limit he gets to me rather sooner.

When you pull out, you should be judging things as they are...not what they ought to be or could be or you would like it to be in an ideal world. No wonder there's conflict on the roads.

What IS it with motorcyclists - Cliff Pope
When you pull out, you should be judging things as they are...not what they ought to be or could be or you would like it to be in an ideal world.

No, you can only judge things as they appear to be.

If it is a T junction with poor visibility, as in a previous post, the woman driver had no option but to judge that the road was clear because it appeared to be so.

Sorry, Westpig. I wasn't suggesting that as the approaching driver SHOULD be driving at the speed limit that I pull out regardless of the speed he is actually doing. I was saying that at a distance it is hard to judge other's speed & if it appears that me puling out & accellerating the the speed limit in a reasonable time will not cause an accident then I correctly do so. If it then transpires that the approaching driver is exceeding the limit thus flashes me in anoyance - he gets told off

What IS it with motorcyclists - Bikerkid

My advice to any car driver is learn to ride a motorcycle. It will make you much more aware of the dangers around you and you will become more attentive and hopefully less dangerous drivers.

Not only do I speak from experience but I have driven on racetracks across Europe courtesy of an RAC Competition Licence, now lapsed. So I'm not just a biker, or a kid!

Share the road and be aware of all roadusers

As they said on Hill Street Blues "Be careful out there"

What IS it with motorcyclists - dieseldogg

We had a young inexperienced driver here recently kill a motorcyclist in a head on crash.

the car driver was overtaking on a straight stretch of road with a wee bit of vertical curve

the driver was very very shaken but says she did not see the motorcyclist

it was dark, he as it happens was running late for a shift ( from clocking on time , time of accident, distance /time left)

So? what speed was he doing?

was this a factor?

And yes I got mates incl a brother who ride bikes

BUT some of them ARE Idiots, like the one I met on the ring of Kerry, a few years ago, his helmet disappeared below my line of sight when I met him on a very very tight bend on a wee narrow mountain road

Edited by dieseldogg on 21/06/2010 at 13:32

What IS it with motorcyclists - Herr Sandwichmann

Hi Ben,

Some drivers of bikes, cars, HGVs, are idiots and react very badly indeed to having their behaviour challenged. You can't talk sense to them. They're probably looking for an excuse to lamp someone. I wouldn't bother trying to engage in any sort of dialogue with them, be it lights, hand signals, or whatever.

HS

What IS it with motorcyclists - madf

I see very few deaths or injuries on UK roads.

Three weeks ago, driving cross country to Boston Lincs, was passed/overtaken on an A road (A43?) by 5 motorbikes. The road was signposted "Danger, high accident rate area". Youngest son commented "an accident rushing to happen " as the driving style and speeds were crazy - 60 mph limit. (they passed at c 80?)

10 minutes later was passed by ambulance in full flight and then a police car.

Another 5 minutes and came upon one of the motorcyclists lying flat out on verge having ploughed bike into a solid wooden fence on a bend. Fence was unhurt.

Dead or seriously injured? Dunno.

What can one say about people who ignore road warnings?

Darwinism in action is crude and offensive to say to relatives... but frankly you have to say the mentality and outlook of people like that makes English footballers seem geniuses...

Edited by madf on 21/06/2010 at 17:46

I wonder if the biker's companions will now alter their driving styles? I'd like to think so, but then again...

What IS it with motorcyclists - amj

I guess its pick on bikers day then!

He who is without sin, cast the first stone!

Weve all done silly or inappropriate things whilst in control of a vehicle havent we? So why pick on one particular group?

Maybe we could have seperate threads for car drivers, Lorries, taxis, busses, pedestrians, cyclists? And not forgetting horses of course! To err is human but to forgive is divine and to p*** and moan seems to be far more rewarding!

Have a nice day.

Edited by amj on 21/06/2010 at 18:49

>> Well why don't you take the trouble to find out WHY the police were riding with the motorcyclists before jumping to the conclusion that the motorcyclists were "tying up two officers"?

How should I have done this? Pull over about 12 motorcyclists on a twisty Cotswolds road to find out what's going on - sound feasible and safe. Maybe I should've googled it when I got home - any suggestions for the search input to find out what this particular group of rides were up to?

>>Don't make the mistake of assuming that all motorcyclists are dangerous and make lots of noise. Even when it appears they are making a manoeuvre you would consider dangerous, it could well be the case that they have far better visibility than you and are reacting accordingly.

I didn't make this assumption if you actually read my post. And nor has anyone else here. And as for the bikers having better visibility the ones I described overtaking into on-coming traffic would certainly have a closer view of the on-coming lorries because they passed them in the opposite direction at a closing speed well in excess of 100mph, being about 2 feet away from the vehicle they were overtaking and the on-coming vehicles. And if it had all gone pear-shaped do you honestly think one or more bikes and riders spilling across the tarmac on a busy road wouldn't cause other vehicles to be in collision?

What IS it with motorcyclists - pint6x

>> How should I have done this? Pull over about 12 motorcyclists on a twisty Cotswolds road to find out what's going on - sound feasible and safe. Maybe I should've googled it when I got home - any suggestions for the search input to find out what this particular group of rides were up to?

Well no, you're just being rather silly now. If you felt strongly about it, I'm sure a phone call to the constabulary in question would have got a result. Either that or they might ask you what business it is of yours.

>> I didn't make this assumption if you actually read my post. And nor has anyone else here.

There have been a number of very sweeping statements made here about motorcyclists which are tarring them all with the same brush. Regrettably I did read your post. You made a statement to that effect about the riders in "your" area: "These totally arrogant and lawless bikers......(repeat ad nauseam)" - This sort of ignorant drivel does nothing to advance the argument and a lot to make motorcyclists give up with someone whose outlook is as blinkered and ill-informed as yours.

>> And as for the bikers having better visibility the ones I described overtaking into on-coming traffic would certainly have a closer view of the on-coming lorries because they passed them in the opposite direction at a closing speed well in excess of 100mph, being about 2 feet away from the vehicle they were overtaking and the on-coming vehicles. And if it had all gone pear-shaped do you honestly think one or more bikes and riders spilling across the tarmac on a busy road wouldn't cause other vehicles to be in collision?

To answer your last point first, I'm sure had one of these bikers had a spill it would have involved other traffic. Of course the minority of motorcyclists who take stupid risks are putting their lives and the lives of others at grave risk.

Equally the young mother coming down the narrow lane on which I live in her BMW X5 while chatting away on her mobile phone with children strapped into the back who almost hit me as I was walking our dog because she didn't see an oncoming car and had to take evasive action at the last minute. I fear I almost became her crumple zone.

We do need to watch the language we use and avoid the sort of sensationalist sweeping statement which might make you feel better for making it but carries little in the way of fact.

You don't read the Daily Mail by any chance do you?

I don't think anyone is picking on anyone else here. Take a look at Avant's post near the top of this discussion. I've seen plenty of bikers who ride perfectly sensibly, but there are plenty of death-wish merchants out there. The A roads around Matlock on bank holiday week-ends are a case in point.

Edited by Herr Sandwichmann on 21/06/2010 at 19:50

What IS it with motorcyclists - dieseldogg

Now for the other side of the coin

a local respectable middle aged married with children biker is lying seriousley ill due to coming over a crest and finding the road blocked by cars carelessly manouvering during a "treasure hunt". He therefore hit a car side on.

Unfortunately............. again.................... speed is the issue.................... "drive at such a speed as will allow one to get stopped within ones range of visibilty" .................or whatever way it is expressed

Edited by dieseldogg on 22/06/2010 at 09:40

What IS it with car drivers - martint123

Just at the end of our village road.

tinyurl.com/lecbike

"A DRIVER killed an off-duty fireman after missing the turn for a golf club, a court heard.

Gordon Harker collided with a motorbike being ridden by Paul Bagshaw, 36.

Businessman Harker, 51, was distracted while looking for Cherry Burton Golf Club on the B1248, near Etton.

As he tried to turn the Saab 9000 around, he drove into the path of Mr Bagshaw, of Beverley.

Recorder Simon Jackson QC, sitting at Hull Crown Court, said Harker had not been paying "full attention"."

What IS it with car drivers - dieseldogg
But was the motorcycle rider paying full attention either?, looking ahead, anticipating?, driving defensively? hovering over the brakes if in doubt?, would there not have been indications that the car was behaving eractically?
It was surely at the very least driving slowly? therefore why?
jat
M
What IS it with car drivers - cilvilservant

Ben 10

You obviously do not understand the Highway Code. Horns or flashing of headlights are used only to warn other road users of your presence when you think danger looms ahead.

Flashing lights or honking of horns at other users after the said event (arguably in anger) is illegal.

If you flashed your lights at me (other than to warn me of imminent danger), I would stick 2 fingers up too.

What IS it with car drivers - Ben 10

Calm down CS, you seem like you're a little wound up. Chill.

If you read my post you will see I used my lights as a warning. Didn't use my horn. Did what is allowed as per the HC. The imminent danger was me almost running into a MC. And yes, I have seen the consequences of bikes colliding with cars and lorries. Flashing a warning might just save a life. Sticking two fingers up is what I would expect from the likes of you who do not pay attention. Especially to the posts.

What IS it with car drivers - carr

..and what is all this shaking leg thing that motorcyclists seem to do every 5 miles?

If it's that uncomfortable get yourself a car, many are cheaper, more economical and have a roof to keep the rain off.

What IS it with car drivers - ernieh

Just cramp or stiffness from being in the same position for maybe 100 miles. Some of us are as old as 63 you know :-)

I know it's hard to believe but most of us do have cars. We don't ride bikes to save money, in fact biking can be more expensive than running a car. For example, one rear tyre might last 5,000 mils, yet cost £120. How's that compare with your car ?

What IS it with car drivers - cilvilservant

Why bother getting agitated by somebody sticking 2 fingers at you?

One advantage with bikes is they do not need such a large gap to pull out in front of vehicles. They have the power and speed to pull away quickly with minimal impact on other drivers. Non-bikers don't understand this hence their frustrations aimed at some of the bikers for their apparent "bad" riding. Sometimes other drivers brake unnecessarily when a bike pulls out on them. Are you sure you didn't panic like an old granny and flashed your lights in panic?

It does happen and there's no need to be ashamed.

The leg shaking is normally an opportunity to stretch the leg. Sometimes it can be a "thank you" for other people behind, mainly in France.

What IS it with car drivers - NARU

"One advantage with bikes is they do not need such a large gap to pull out in front of vehicles."

Even my mid-range bike does 0-60 in around 4 seconds. The sportsbikes are even faster.

What IS it with car drivers - SteveLee

Most bikers aren't suicidal, what they do is safe from their point of view given the performance dynamics of their vehicle, what looks like a risk from the car seat is safe from an experienced motorcyclist's point of view. Yes there are idiots in all forms but bikers tend to be better trained and have better road craft than most car drivers and bikers haven't got airbags or saftey cages to help them out, if we get it wrong - it hurts!

An overtake that would take hundreds of yards - even in a fast car - can be dispatched quickly and safely on a modest bike. To emphasise the acceleration point above, I've run a couple of late 9.9n second standing quarters on my bike at 150 mph terminals - yes, that's 0-150mph in 10 seconds, the time it would take most cars to reach 60.

What IS it with car drivers - madf

Most bikers aren't suicidal, what they do is safe from their point of view

Hmm Obviously there is a spread of skills and ability across the country as the local death rates on the Cat and Fiddle (Manchester) plus roads around Buxton prove otherwise.

My experiences around Buxton say some motorcyclists at wekends are homicidal maniacs.. Lie driving round blind corners on the wrong side of the road at speeds guaranteed to kill the driver.. given the drops on one side of the road.

What IS it with car drivers - carr

Just cramp or stiffness from being in the same position for maybe 100 miles. Some of us are as old as 63 you know :-)

I know it's hard to believe but most of us do have cars. We don't ride bikes to save money, in fact biking can be more expensive than running a car. For example, one rear tyre might last 5,000 mils, yet cost £120. How's that compare with your car ?

From what I've heard about bikes you have to stop every 100 miles anyway to refuel anyway and judging by the way some people ride I'm surprised they get as many as 5000 miles from a tyre, especially as they are practically bald even when new.

We are asked to 'Think Bike' but I just can't get into the mindset of anybody who thinks this is a sensible way to travel. The only upside is that you do get to wear that fetish gear without people laughing at you....

....much.

What IS it with car drivers - RicardoB

Well, nice weather and much of the week stuck inside grey offices, so was looking forward to pottering in the garden and being at one with the singing birds in the trees.

Hark, what is that I hear? Oh yes, a "think of me" king or queen of two wheels, seemingly unable to change into top gear, and also apparantly illiterate by not understanding what "slow", "40",pictures of horses on signs mean. Sadly they also seem to have a hearing problem judging by the oh-so-racy cans. "Phwoar, look how big my can is compared to yours", they might say to their brightly-coloured-leather-clad friends. "Lets play at being racers".

And lo, a strange vibration - sounds and feels like some bombs. The house windows are shaking. Oh no, it's OK, it's a group of very frightening looking types on top of throbbing Harley things, which have no silencers at all. Can still hear them 45 seconds later when by now they are the best part of a mile away.

Still, it's OK - no one knows who they are cause you can't see the number plate.

I remember when I was about ten years old, I borrowed a clothes peg and put a bit of card on my bicycle and into the spokes to make an engine noise. Passing phase for a few days, then I grew out of it.

Shame that others didn't.

Damned antisocial i say.

What IS it with car drivers - Pat L

Totally agree, Ricardo.

Unfortunately, people like pint6x don't see (or don't want to admit) that the small but significant proportion of bikers who ride in this way are a real menace. However, I have to say that this summer (so far) I haven't seen so many of these multi-coloured leather-clad riders of 'rice rockets'. Maybe they've learned to ride more responsibly. Hopefully. Or maybe some of them have paid the ultimate price for their thrills (RIP), which wouldn't surprise me.

What IS it with car drivers - pda
Or maybe some of them have paid the ultimate price for their thrills (RIP), which wouldn't surprise me.

A statement that says so much about the person who posted it, and none of it very pleasant either.

Pat

What IS it with car drivers - Pat L

pda - what does this tell you about me? I stated a simple proposition that due to the extreme risk-taking of the sort of bikers under discussion here some of them may have been killed in road accidents. The ones I describe from last summer had a worrylingly high chance of being killed that day imo.

What IS it? Isolated idiots - Avant

I'm all for free speech, but can we please avoid (a) getting personal) and (b) judging a whole section of society by the actions of the odd idiot or group of idiots.

I don't want to close this thread, but if anyone has anything to add to the debate, let it be something fresh and constructive.

What IS it? Isolated idiots - PatrickO

Saw a biker lying prostrate on the hard shoulder of the M6/M1 northbound split on friday afternoon with his bike on it's side and a couple of cars parked up next to him, sent a shiver up my spine, obviously just happened.

I've nothing against bikers (want to learn myself one day) but some of the weaving in and out and between cars on the motorway is ridiculous. All it takes is someone not to see you in the blind spot and it's game over at those speeds on a multi lane road, it may not be your fault but that'll be slim consolation in the ER or Morgue. Bikers are very vulnerable on the motorway.

I remember Lawrence Fishburne (a keen biker) saying on the Jonathan Ross show that if a biker is involved in any accident, it's their own fault for putting themselves in a position to be crashed in to. Bit harsh but for the vast majority of cases this holds true, i'd say.

Edited by PatrickO on 26/06/2010 at 19:27

What is it? not really isolated at all - R40

Any one who spends an amount of time on the M1/M25/M60/M4/M3 et al in any rush hour period knows that poor standards of biking are not down to just a few 'bad apples'.

Every day I experience and try to keep out of the way of bikers undertaking, squeezing between cars, weaving across four lanes, in fact doing anything to avoid being stationary or slowing down for even a few seconds. imo their behaviours are no worse or better than car drivers; but they are much more vulnerable and just as dangerous to other road users.

Bikers are no different from other road users in their attitudes and (deteriorating) standards. I am only surprised that it is difficult for some to see and accept this.

Regards

R40

Edited by R40 on 27/06/2010 at 07:29

What is it? not really isolated at all - madf

50 metres down the road we have a secondary school. Right outside our drive we have temporary lights due to roadworks.

Normally all noise due to cars starting and stopping is just that:- noise. Even a 2 tonne tractor at 30 mph over the potholes is not worth a glance. But a driver doing 10,000rpm with a megaphone exhaust through the roadworks and at least 50 mph and 110 decibels is worth a comment..

Yes: it was a motorcyclist yesterday..

Some drivers have no common sense...and act as if they are trying to kill themselves...

Edited by madf on 27/06/2010 at 11:25

What is it? not really isolated at all - nb857

madf, it has been 40 odd years since tractors weighed 2 tonnes, but I digress.

There are quite a number of sport bike riders that ride like male chickens. Their bikes hide in the garage during anything other than perfect weather, but when the roads are perfectly dry they come out in their droves with their rusty skills and noisy pipes.

My little bike gets used every day, even when it is snowing and It's not chucked me off yet and you can't hear me either. As these fellas only ride in the dry, they don't know or have much experience with a lack of grip, that's what I think anyway, rightly or wrongly.

Road users with more than 2 wheels may well get annoyed with or think filtering is dangerous, but one doesn;t ride bikes to sit in queues, I don't anyway. I do need to be "in the zone" though for maximum filtering attack action.

Noisy pipes are the work of satan, and I would like to make it compulsory for the male chickens that has said noisy pipes to have a tractors parked outside their houses for several nights, all night under full load on a dyno. This may help them to see the error of their ways.

What is it? not really isolated at all - madf

"madf, it has been 40 odd years since tractors weighed 2 tonnes, but I digress." Hmm so the weights I see of 7 tonnes are wrong?

http://agriculture.newholland.com/uk/en/Products/Tractors/T7000AC/Pages/products_techinfo.aspx

(see bottom of page for weights)

A two tonne tractor is a light tractor today..

Edited by madf on 27/06/2010 at 23:14

What is it? not really isolated at all - nb857

"madf, it has been 40 odd years since tractors weighed 2 tonnes, but I digress." Hmm so the weights I see of 7 tonnes are wrong?

http://agriculture.newholland.com/uk/en/Products/Tractors/T7000AC/Pages/products_techinfo.asp

(see bottom of page for weights) A two tonne tractor is a light tractor today..

I know how much a tractor weighs, mine weighs about 7 tonnes + .The point I was making was that I can't remember when I drove a tractor that weighed 2 tonnes and if I did it was an early 1960's tractor and very small. We have one that carries 4 tonnes of ballast

What is it? not really isolated at all - SteveLee

Noisy bikers are a menace? From someone who owns one of those huge, wobbly contraptions which are often driven on the public highway at 15mph with lethal spikes of metal sticking out the back (ready to impale an unsuspecting motorcyclist) for mile after mile without pulling over to let other motorists pass?

Tractors should be banned from the road - only moved around by lorry - simply because those driving them cannot be relied upon to do so in a courteous manner for other road users. I once followed a tractor for 15 miles on a B road passing plenty of places to pull over, there was a mile long queue behind me horns honking continuously, when I finally got past I'm not ashamed to say I stopped in front of the tractor, jumped up into the cab and punched the idiot in the face – no less than he deserved. He didn't press charges either - maybe the queue of motorists cheering me showed him the error of his ways perhaps? I'll never know.

What is it? not really isolated at all - SteveLee

<!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } -->

I'm not a summer only rider but I do have a noisy pipe, I don't blast through through villages or through urban areas, I short-shift keeping the noise down. The pipe is fitted for the extra 15bhp I make use of at trackdays and drag races, not for noise sake, but I do ride with consideration for other road users and I actually think a bit of noise is safer when filtering in traffic.

Where I live noise nuisance tends to be chavs with their subwoofers – even at 3 in the morning, the said chavs tend to drive exhaustless Corsas etc, thrashing the tits off them noisily at all times. When I lived near a big bike meet it tended to be the Harleys that kept me awake shaking the windows – they're deafening even when being ridden gently.

What is it? not really isolated at all - NARU

Yes: it was a motorcyclist yesterday..

Round our way its normally mums in 4x4s, chatting on their phones, stopping on the zigzags.

What is it? not really isolated at all - Tommk4

I saw the answer to this argument before my very eyes today...a biker over taking on a single carriageway A-road, perfectly legally and safely, some cars pull to the left to let them pass, some don't. Then, a couple of cars in front of me the driver pulls into the middle of the road to stop the bikers passing, why? who knows. But the biker then chose to undertake him at colossal speed, just to make a point.

The fact is that there are plenty of idiotic, careless, thoughtless, selfish and ignorant drivers out there in every conceivable form of transport and its very narrow minded to lay the blame on one particular group, just because an individual from that group has wound you up.

What is it? not really isolated at all - Ben 10

"The fact is that there are plenty of idiotic, careless, thoughtless, selfish and ignorant drivers out there in every conceivable form of transport and its very narrow minded to lay the blame on one particular group, just because an individual from that group has wound you up."

If you read my OP I didn't describe the motorcyclist in the way you have. Flashing my lights was not because I was wound up. It is a legal action. The action was to bring to the attention of that particular motorcyclist that I was there, almost on top of him. Ignoring the give way lines is poor driving by any driver or rider so I'm not castigating motorcyclists totally, though by some of the previous responses, it appears a common unlawful manouvre by MCs. That group you finish with does not wind me up, sticking two fingers up, by anybody, does, especially when I am in the right.

Edited by Ben 10 on 28/06/2010 at 22:32

What is it? not really isolated at all - Tommk4

Yes but the title of your thread suggests that this one incident has lead you to brand all motorcyclists in this way. Which is what I was saying is wrong. My point is that the fact that he was on two wheels has no relation to his/her poor driving and manners.

Also, you must have flashed because you were trying to show the motorcyclist that you dissaproved of his actions, because, from your description, he had already pulled out on you, and therefore any attempt to warn him of your presence would at that point be too late. Or If you did flash before he pulled out, he may have taken this signal as you "letting him go." I'm aware that this practice is not advised, but it is one which is pretty much universally used in the UK.

What is it? not really isolated at all - dieseldogg

But on reflection to extend the anology re bikers overtaking

we have a couple of big wide straight stretchs of single carrigeway , where I could reasonably overtake down the middle of the two traffic streams in my car.

Plenty of room , if the cars hold in just a wee bit, without mounting the hard shoulder.

But I dont cause I am pretty sure plod would do me, for doing so.

So why is it deemed acceptable by bikers on narrower roads?

jat

M

What is it? not really isolated at all - Ben 10

"Also, you must have flashed because you were trying to show the motorcyclist that you dissaproved of his action"

No.

If you have to split hairs, do I really need to go back to that junction and get a tape measure out. The MC crossed the GIVE WAY line as I approached him so I flashed to let him know I was there. Do I need to spell it out further or are you trolling for a response. The situation is quite obvious but you are provoking an argument for the sake of it.

Children please

What IS it with motorcyclists - Rob C

Given todays announcement that the Cat & Fiddle is the UK's most dangerous road...some more statistics.

Firstly from the BBC story about the report ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10454356.stm

"One-in-four fatal or serious crashes on A-roads or motorways involves a motorcyclist "

Numbers of riders...http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/Reference-material/UK-Statistics.aspx

We are 1/38th of the road population - 2.6%

So, 2.6% of the traffic yet involved in 25% of the crashes. That's a factor of 10 roughly, ergo, riding a bike is ten times as dangerous as driving a car.

What IS it with motorcyclists - NARU

So, 2.6% of the traffic yet involved in 25% of the crashes. That's a factor of 10 roughly, ergo, riding a bike is ten times as dangerous as driving a car.

Some of it is clearly a skills deficit.

But ... We've seen years of road design which pays almost no regard to the needs of the motorcyclist. More paint (slippery when wet) on the road surface, even on bends. Very poor road surfaces (including the horrible chippings on the surface), metal drain covers still used and still placed on the bends etc.

Motorcyclists are amongst the most skilled on the road (if you assume like the authorities do that testing and age lead to skill), with tests for mopeds, small bikes and big bikes (and no riding big bikes until you're 21).

Meanwhile cars get safer and safer. Whilst putting bikers at risk with bigger A pillars, and making the drivers feel so much safer that they'll happily increase their risk level by using mobile phones at the wheel.

PS. I think you'll find that riding a bike is a lot more than ten times more dangerous than driving a car when calculated per mile travelled.

What IS it with motorcyclists - amj

A bike may be 10 times as dangerous as driving a car but its a million times more fun!

What IS it with motorcyclists - Leif

I have nothing against bikers,as in general they cause no problems for me, and I'm happy to move left a bit so they can overtake, and make good progress. But I do object to many riding with lights on full beam. Is it really safer to blind oncoming traffic. It is not uncommon that I cannot look straight ahead when a bike approaches because their lights are so bright. If I do, I end up dazzled for some time after they have passed. At night it means that all I see is a blaze of light ahead, with no idea about what might be there. I know they (presumably) have lights on to be seen, fair enough, but why not just on enough to alert other road users. Anyway, rant over.

Leif: Please DO NOT move over for bikers. I have seen drivers move over "a little bit" and take out a cyclist on their inside. It is unnecessary as WE decide when it is safe to overtake, not you. As I have said before motorists would be better drivers if they learned to ride a bike.

Yes bikers sometimes drive with full beam but so do motorists. Motorists are particularly bad at light management, often driving with rear fogs blazing, How many of you, and I'm a driver too, sit in traffic with their foot jammed on the brake dazzling those behind. You have handbrakes, use them.

Then of course there are those with inadequate lights, saddest are the one-eyed Volvos, those who drive with sidelights in atrocious conditions and those heros who never light up until it is almost completely dark. Madness

Oh and please indicate in all situations, imagine an invisible vehicle behind you.

Share the roads, drive safely, drive aware and spare the waste of life. You know it makes sense.

Leif: Please DO NOT move over for bikers. I have seen drivers move over "a little bit" and take out a cyclist on their inside. It is unnecessary as WE decide when it is safe to overtake, not you. As I have said before motorists would be better drivers if they learned to ride a bike.

Yes bikers sometimes drive with full beam but so do motorists. Motorists are particularly bad at light management, often driving with rear fogs blazing, How many of you, and I'm a driver too, sit in traffic with their foot jammed on the brake dazzling those behind. You have handbrakes, use them.

Then of course there are those with inadequate lights, saddest are the one-eyed Volvos, those who drive with sidelights in atrocious conditions and those heros who never light up until it is almost completely dark. Madness

Oh and please indicate in all situations, imagine an invisible vehicle behind you.

Share the roads, drive safely, drive aware and spare the waste of life. You know it makes sense.

I will continue to move over for bikes as I am quite capable of observing the road ahead to judge whether or not it is safe to do so. I rarely see cars with lights on full beam, although day time running lights on some makes mean you can get dazzled by a car on a speed hump, or coming up a hill towards you. I can only speak for Berks, Herts, Beds and Surrey. But I am regularly dazzled by bikes. I was dazzled this morning during a short trip to the supermarket. I just do not understand why bikes cannot use dipped lights.

Leif, presumptious of you to know whem it is safe for me to overtake. The guy who took out the cyclist probably had your "I know better" view of things, but he didn't.

I believe you are getting confused with bike day time running lights and high beam. No need to use high beam especially in good sunny conditions, e.g. today, and you will find bikers in general will use day-time running lights. They may appear bright to you, if so try some quality shades they may help.

If you are dazzled on a sunny day then remind me not to travel in Berks, Herts, Beds and Surrey.

Remember to hold your position on the road, we can make our own arrangements.

Remember to use the handbrake too, handbrake first then neutral, feet off brake and clutch....but I'm sure you do, or at least say you do.

Stay safe and lives will be saved.

Bikerkid said: Leif, presumptious of you to know whem it is safe for me to overtake. The guy who took out the cyclist probably had your "I know better" view of things, but he didn't.

I believe you are getting confused with bike day time running lights and high beam. No need to use high beam especially in good sunny conditions, e.g. today, and you will find bikers in general will use day-time running lights. They may appear bright to you, if so try some quality shades they may help.

If you are dazzled on a sunny day then remind me not to travel in Berks, Herts, Beds and Surrey.

Remember to hold your position on the road, we can make our own arrangements.

Remember to use the handbrake too, handbrake first then neutral, feet off brake and clutch....but I'm sure you do, or at least say you do.

Stay safe and lives will be saved.

I don't care for the condescension in your first sentence and I don't don't care for being ordered about by you. Go talk down to someone else matey boy.

I have no idea when it is safe for you to overtake. All I know is when it is safe for me to move left. It is up to the bikelist (or whoever) to decide what is safe for them. I assume they have the skills to ride safely.

And I don't see why I should wear sunglasses (if that is what you mean by shades) because of bikes.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the handbrake nonsense. But it seems to be another example of you rather arrogantly telling me what to do.

Leif, I think we should end this now. I detect a certain amount of anger anger and overconfidence in one's own abilities make unhappy bedfellows.

I have seen it from both sides of the fence and would not like to see another fatality caused by mistakingly encouraging one to overtake, and that is exactly what moving over does.

Tell me what do you do if the following vehicle declines to overtake? drive in the gutter?

At the risk of telling you what to do you should not need to move over if you are correctly positioned on the road.

Deep down you know it makes sense.

Please do not expect me to reply to any further posting on this matter.

Think...other roadusers!

Leif, I think we should end this now. I detect a certain amount of anger anger and overconfidence in one's own abilities make unhappy bedfellows.

I have seen it from both sides of the fence and would not like to see another fatality caused by mistakingly encouraging one to overtake, and that is exactly what moving over does.

Tell me what do you do if the following vehicle declines to overtake? drive in the gutter?

At the risk of telling you what to do you should not need to move over if you are correctly positioned on the road.

Deep down you know it makes sense.

Please do not expect me to reply to any further posting on this matter.

Think...other roadusers!

Yes, I am angry about your first post. You call me presumptious, you insult me by saying I drive in such a manner as to kill someone, then you tell me what to do, and you add some meaningless phrases about clutch and first gear which left me baffled. Your posting was incredibly arrogant.

Your postings are full of assumptions. You assume something about brake lights which baffles me. You assume I drive in such a way as to potentially kill someone. You assume I drive in the gutter. You assume I endanger others. How about not making assumptions? How about some manners? How about basing your comments on facts rather than what you think is the case? How about asking me in what circumstances I would move left, and by how much? Don't let facts get in the way of a good fight eh.

Do I move left into the gutter? No. Course I don't. You know, next time I am on the A3, in slow moving traffic, and a bike is behind me, I think I will still move left to allow the bike to overtake, which he/she would not otherwise have been able to do so. I know this makes me dangerous in your eyes, but hey, I guess I'm just a maniac.

One thing I suspect we do agree on is that some bikes squeeze between cars on motorways, and this is dangerous. I certainly do not try to encourage that behaviour, but if a biker is daft enough to do so, then I will move slightly to one side. I prefer to move to the left lane to allow them to overtake. And would I encourage a bike to overtake with fast oncoming vehicles, no.

This does not hide the point I made which is that many bikelists ride with lights that dazzle other road users, and I don't think they need to, and I also think it is potentially dangerous. I suspect that struck a raw nerve with you, which is why you decided to give me a good verbal kicking.

On a side issue, this forum has changed markedly since the downtime. When the forum came back up, I posted several questions on the "I have a question" board, and got loads of rude sarcastic unhelpful comments. I was taken aback. And here I posted what I think was a reasonable comment, and got a verbal kicking. This place used to be more civilised. Now it is "attack first ask questions later".

What IS it with motorcyclists - john farrar

Well said Leif. I agree with all you've said.

What IS it with motorcyclists - carr

Leif, the point about brakelights is that they dazzle traffic behind and if one is stuck in traffic it's more polite to set the handbrake rather than cover the footbrake.

On the other hand politeness is not something our 'Bikerkid' fellow seems to understand. It's typical of the arrogant selfishness I've witnessed from bikers on the road, something to do with the adrenalin I should imagine.

At least he has had the decency to sling his hook.

What IS it with motorcyclists - Westpig
. It's typical of the arrogant selfishness I've witnessed from bikers on the road,

Is that all bikers, most bikers, some bikers or the odd few bikers?

Leif, the point about brakelights is that they dazzle traffic behind and if one is stuck in traffic it's more polite to set the handbrake rather than cover the footbrake.

Okay, I am fully aware of that. I don't know why he was trying to make that point to me. I use the handbrake when stationary for more than a few seconds, as recommended by advanced driving manuals, and I often turn off the engine. Why fill the air with fumes.

What IS it with motorcyclists - b308

And me, John... I have always tried to give those who wish to make progress quicker than I a bit more room to overtake... and to be lectured about what is in front of us is condecending in the extreme... Don't you think thats where we are looking before we make such a move?!

Bikerkid, you do yourself and other bikers no favours by the tone and content of your posts... and that comes from someone with a full bike licence.

(Avant, sorry, your last post and mine clashed... I tend to agree with you, it started off as an attack on bikers and it seems that the worm has turned and they are attacking car drivers... time to close?)

Edited by b308 on 10/07/2010 at 20:04

What IS it with motorcyclists - Manatee

Every situation on its merits. On the A41 racetrack between Aston Clinton and the M25 there are often two lanes of solid traffic with motorcyclists moving in between. I will either move slightly right or left as appropriate, which incidentally makes more room, but I do it mainly because it gives the motorcyclist a clue that I might have seen him, or her.

If I thought I was annoying them I wouldn't bother, but I suspect that's not the case.

They can overtake, or not. Their decision.

I don't really mind whether they are accomplished riders or dangerous loonies.

It's not my job or in my interests to try to police them, or to become angry or irritated. Not even with the one who regularly tailgates me for half a mile or more on my way home on a winding A road before making his mind up, and for whom I have to dip the mirror. I expect he'll run into me one day, deer being an occasional hazard on that road.

What IS it with motorcyclists - Avant

I repeat my comments fron halfway up this thread:

I'm all for free speech, but can we please avoid (a) getting personal) and (b) judging a whole section of society by the actions of the odd idiot or group of idiots.

I don't want to close this thread, but if anyone has anything to add to the debate, let it be something fresh and constructive.

Just accept that there are idiots among all classes of road user - motorists, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians - but they are fortunately in the minority and there is no reason to judge a whole class of people based on the few.

Any more personal comments and this thread goes down. I suspect it may have run its course anyway.

Edited by Avant on 10/07/2010 at 19:54

What IS it with motorcyclists - Dutchie

It looks like it has run its course,i must admit if i was riding a motorcycle i would have lights on in daytime to be seen to protect myself.Flashing a light at someone is often percieved as agression unless used as in given way to someone.On the continent flashing lights often means get out of my way.The majority of bikers are responsible in my opnion never had any trouble with anyone on a motorcycle.Using brake lights in a car when stopped instead of the handbrake is strange,live is short lets enjoy it:)

It looks like it has run its course,i must admit if i was riding a motorcycle i would have lights on in daytime to be seen to protect myself.Flashing a light at someone is often percieved as agression unless used as in given way to someone.On the continent flashing lights often means get out of my way.The majority of bikers are responsible in my opnion never had any trouble with anyone on a motorcycle.Using brake lights in a car when stopped instead of the handbrake is strange,live is short lets enjoy it:)

I would also ride a bike with lights on, dipped of course. Yes, most bikers are fine, far better than car drivers and pedal bikelists. I've only once had trouble with bikers.

What IS it with motorcyclists - pda

Don't take Bikerkids comment to heart Leif.

You are doing exactly the right thing. By moving over slightly, you are showing the biker you are aware that he is there, so that leaves him free to make an informed decision about when to overtake you.

Older, or experienced bikers, like that!

I think the clue may be in the second part of Bikerkids name:)

I would also like to say that as a lorry driver, car driver, ex biker but noe a frequent pillion rider I too get dazzled by bike lights and complain about them.

Mr pda though is a bike anorak and tells me it is something to do with the manufacture of one of the newer models and something like the daytime running light problem.

Sorry I can't be more specific because I don't always listen properly when he gets in anorak mode, but I'm sure someone will explain.!

Pat

OK time to open up. I am 61, I kid you not, and am a car driver first and foremost but have had a bike licence since 1971. I did have a competition licence now lapsed and have driven a number of racing, sports and rally cars. I have also driven coaches, double deckers and a fire engine. Not boasting but just to show I am not a novice, although everyday I still learn a bit more.

Dead cyclists can't testify as to whether someone moved over or edged over although to me moving over suggests a more extreme manouver. Not sure the court would have given much credence to mitigating circumstances that he moved over to let a motorbike pass.

That though is a bit of a side issue, upsetting though it was. My main concern is the continuing pops at bikers, It is all stereotyping, "dazzled by high beam, given the finger, fetish clothing, loud pipes, adrenalin and speed". Surely, apart from fetish clothing perhaps, we have all been subject to the same problems by car and lorry drivers., while I don't think there have been too many cases of bikers using mobile phones, texting or smoking at the controls.

All I say is live and let live, share the road and drive and ride safely.

Please lets have less whinging, any I may be guilty of are in light of fair play, I hope. It just leads to a game of Top Trumps, so my Grandchildren tell me, with each and every additional posting seeming to say that happened to me too, but it was worse than yours. Lets face it the roads are dangerous and there are some idiots out there, but we know that so lets accept it and move on.

Sorry if I've upset some of you but if we save one life then it's worth it.

Interesting ftom a psycology point of view that some of you seem to dismiss my comments on the grounds of my name and perceived experience, another case of stereotyping, surely even the less experienced should be listened to as well.

The Government has spent millions on the Think Bike type campaigns, and I ask you why you think that is and why it is aimed at motorists.

Bikers aren't all bad and neither I'm happy to say are car and lorry drivers.

DC

A long reply, but it was your implied assumption that we are unable to read the road ahead that we found condecending BK...

How many cyclists have you heard of that have been injured or killed by someone moving over onto them to let someone past on an open road... In town in heavy traffic its a different kettle of fish, but we weren't discussing that scenario as far as I could tell...

Just the once but personally that was enough, I wonder how many deaths do you consider to be appropriate for me to have a strong view on this subject?

I am sure that the driver in question was also confident that he could read the road ahead too, he may even have checked his inside mirror but it happened.

In general I really think you are taking this personally as an afront to your driving skills, it is a general message that every move can have a consequence.

I'm still happy to learn but sometimes the lesson can be a very sad occasion

Kind regards D

In general I really think you are taking this personally as an afront to your driving skills, it is a general message that every move can have a consequence.

Actually i think you are over-reacting to what you se as a dig at bikers, D... but that is just my reading of your posts... Any death is one too many, but the scenario you give is extremely rare (I've never come across it in both my cycling and biking days) and I tend to think there are more important things we could do which need concentraing on and would stop many more accidents...

Anyhow, I've had my say, I'll leave you to it!

It's very nice to talk of learning but when roads have signs up warning bikers and the police fly helicopter patrols and the routes are notorious for bike deaths AND bikers continue to drive madly as SOME (not all ) do, then learning is clearly not working.

Either that or bikes make normal humans become morons...

I refer to the well known death roads around Manchester (Cat and Fiddle) and Buxton..

With police numbers being cut back, I expect deaths will rise ...:-(

Oh dear, here we go again. Please no stereotypes. As you say SOME (not all)

There are bikes and there are bikes..lumping in the commuter on his 125 with the nutters who take their lives into their hands in your part of the world is rather strange, my point is its not just bikers but car drivers too, and if you don't believe me check out the Police Camera type programmes on TV.

Me? I'm a leisure/casual biker these days with a basic BMW 650, hardly a flying machine, your wheels probably faster, but the TT course around the IOM is fun at even low speeds.

Please Madf show a bit of balance, we are not all the same or we will all be Hells Angels next.

Ciao D

It happens, so deal with it

Balance?

I am balanced.. Only some bikers are morons, only some kill themselves. They are not all the same.

Stop putting constructions on my words which I clearly tried to avoid.

But it is obvious to anyone - purely based on the facts of road injuries and deaths that bikes - which are much less tolerant of accidents due to their nature - are driven by a significant minority who are either technically incompetent or foolhardy.

The casualty figures do not lie...

Edited by madf on 12/07/2010 at 17:41

Madf

"Either that or bikes make normal people morons.."

Your words I think, not much balance there. Perhaps if you said some normal people?

I am not disputing casualty figures, in fact I don't think I've ever referred to them, although the memory gets a bit hazy now and again. Memory good but short (joke)

Message to Avant, Oilrag etc.

Can we put an end to this once and for all?, I think most views have been expressed, and we all know that good drivers/riders know when to back off.

Thanks for your indulgence and patience.

What IS it with motorcyclists - oilrag

I agree - this thread has run it`s course.

thread locked

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 12/07/2010 at 22:01