Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - nicenelly

Hi there,

I'm brand new to this forum and would really appreciate any help/advice you can offer regarding focus turbo probelms..

About 2 wweks ago I noticed I'd little or now power especially when tryng to accelarate. I bought the car last July for 6k from a local garage and traded in a petrol 1.8 1999 which was beginning to cause expenive problems, and hoped I wouldn't have to invest quite as much cash in repairs with a newer model.So took thecar into them and was quoted about £700 to replace the turbo (incl vat and labour) wasn't too happy about that but what could I do.

I then went to collect it earlier this week and was told when they replaced the turbo and test drove it, it blew up! They then said they were re-ordering the part from ford and were looking into why this happened. Next thing we get another call to say ford won't covere the cost of replaceing the part as the warrenty is invalid as they needed to have changed other components alongside the turbo. They're now saying ti's going to cost upto £1200 to repair the whole thing.I'm not impressed to be honest as had initially invested in a new model in the hope of avoiding such occurences. I'm now not sure what to believe! Have spoken to trading standards who say I should only pay the £700 as originally qouted, but not sure how to get around it.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

nicenelly

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - Foxit

My Focus Studio TDCi suffered turbo failure last February. I took it to my garage and they quoted me £1300 to replace and flush out the engine etc. At that time I wasn't ware of the problems surrounding turbos on these models. Apparently the engine is manufactured by Peuoget and is used across a number of different manufacturers cars including the Stuido TDCi.

Last week, just four months later the turbo failed again. My garage then took it to the local Ford main dealer, who after four days doing nothing decided they would look at it for me.

When I rang to enquire about the repair, they said they were still having getting parts and cleaning out the engine. When I questioned them more closely, I asked what would they do if after this repair the turbo went again. Their reply was basically nothing - apparently you only get one chance at a warranty claim such as this, and after that you are on your own. The guy in the showroom told me to contact the supplier of the vehicle.

Ford it seems just walk away from warranty claims on an engine which is known to have major turbo problems.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Good luck with your claim.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - injection doc

There is a long TSN technical service bulliten about all the required repairs when fitting a replacement turbo and many garages fail to impliment all the requirements to prevent further failure !

I have written a post about these before! its most unlikley that the turbo failed as in failed ! its caused by a diesel injector seal leaking in the cylinder head. The combustion gases leak past the seal and clog up the oil feed galleries to the turbo, casuing failure.

When a turbo is fitted, its imperative that not only is the sump removed and cleaned but the rocker cover is removed and close inspection of the injector seals is carried out or even replaced ! no 3 usually seems to be the culprit!

When the injector seal is leaking it doesnt effect performance and its not leaking diesel, its allowing carbon directly into the engine ! causing the clogging.

On my files I have some pics of 1.6tdci engines with leaking injector seals causing turbo failure.

So in answer to your question it doesnt directly have major turbo problems, they are caused by defective injector seals !

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - unthrottled

Great post Doc.

thank you" Sir "

I hope it makes sense ? the difficulty is I know what I mean but transposing it to B/w is more of the challenge.

If anyone requires a couple of photo's or TSB they will need to post an e-mail and can pass it on.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - Raman

Injection doc,

Can you email me the TSb and photographs to

Raman58@hotmail.com

Thank you

raman

Done ID

I trust that Raman recived the information ?

A thank you would of been great ! or at least an acknowledgement ! otherwise those of us that do offer help and info may not bother in the future.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - jc2

All too frequent!

Injection Doc,

Thank you for the email you sent.

Received OK. Apologies for the delay in replying to your post.

Once again thank you

I believe and I could be wrong, but I think the 1.6 tdci ford focus engine is also fitted to Mazda 3 1.6 diesel, which I own

The following web site might be of interest to someone

www.mazdaspeed.pl. Unless you know polish use google translate.

Goto Forum, Diesel Y6,

Subject : Lubrication of Turbochargers in the engine Y6

Post by by fixerg
16:02 April 22, 2011, 16:02

Hope this helps someone

Based on the above. I removed the top banjo bolt, there was no metal filter fitted.

I wanted to check the other end of the oil supply pipe but could not find/see where it was fitted to on the engine.

Edited by Raman on 09/07/2011 at 23:29

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - mwtaylor

Hi all

I have been reading the forum and I am in the same predicament with my 1.6tdci focus. Similar to neilmac, I am conscious that I am reading a forum, which is more than a couple of months old.

I would really appreciate it if you could send me the pictures of the turbo faults. In addition if you have anymore advice that you could give me regarding fixing the oil feed pipe?

mwtaylor

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - anty_p

thank you" Sir "

I hope it makes sense ? the difficulty is I know what I mean but transposing it to B/w is more of the challenge.

If anyone requires a couple of photo's or TSB they will need to post an e-mail and can pass it on.

Injection Doc

It seems my car is suffering the same symptoms as others here. Could you send a copy of the TSB to anthonyponcia@gmail.com please?

Many thanks

Anthony

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - brianw119

can you email me info about sorting this problem out,

thanks.

Brian-w@hotmail.co.uk

thank you" Sir "

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - Jagnut

A friends Mazda 3 tdi has just blown it's turbo and I believe it is the same engine as the Ford Focus - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Could you please send me the TSB and any other info. relating to causes and replacing the turbo.

My emal is: dandmhobbs@gmail.com

Many thanks for your great posts.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - rottenmotor

hi, could you email any details you can about turbo problems and injector seals on 1.6 focus engine, i have 2 turbos put on this car at my local garage and the last one blew after only 33 miles, please send any help you can to wilderbigbee@aol.com. thank you

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - neilmac

HI I have been reading these posts with interest, I realise they are a couple of months old but seem to have the same problem with my 1.6tdci focus.

• Oil leaking fron intake/induction pipes
  • The oil seems to be pressurised and is blowing out of the breather
  • A new turbo was fitted just prior to buying the car.
  • New turbo seems to be making a noise when engine is stopped.

I plan to have the turbo inspected by Turbo Active, fit some new injector seals to all 4x injectors and clean out the sump and oil feed pipe.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - MikeTorque

Does anyone know which year Ford provided a fix for this issue with regards to their new car builds ? (i.e. which engine builds don't have this issue)

neilmac

Did you manage to get your car sorted out. What was the problem

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - gazza12345

hi there, not sure if thius is too old to reply to but its a very valuable and informative piece of info, wish i seen this 6 weeks ago as the mazda 3 has been driving me nuts and cost a fortune to find out why it keeps cutting out or wont start, Turbo went replaced it as the manufactures instructions such as clean pipes, sump, change oil ect ect. had it into garage to find out why it wont start or cut out after 20 mins or so, anyway other day noticed a few air bubbles coming from the 3rd injector at the base, thought bingo thats the probs, i thought this was as a result of the turbo going, but now you mention that the turbo actually went because of this, started it the other day and smoke was coming from the turbo, so i need to replace the seal, do you recommend doing all the injectors at the same time or just the one that needs it, also i enquired about the seals at a diesel centre and he said they dont have rubber seals just a copper washer, is this correct, and if so i dont suppose you know the size of the copper washers, or if indeed there is a seal needed as to where is the best place to purchase these from, any help would be much appreciated, gary

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - Gilljoe

hi hubby n i bought a focus 1.6 tdci 46k miles on clock n we have the same turbo failure twice...could u please send an you email me the TSb and photographs to smigilli@aol.com and and thing else that may help....ya a star:)

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - struthruth

I'm curious having read this thread.

Just paid £750 for a new turbo on my ford focus 1.6tdi. The garage said they were unable to tell if there was any engine damage before fitting the new turbo and having fitted it they now tell me the engine is damaged beyond repair and I need a new engine!!

Can this be right? Could they have checked for damage first?

Incidentally I took it to the same garage a couple of months ago because it was making a funny noise and they told me the fuel injection cylinders were on the way out but it would be cheaper to wait until they all needed doing to do them all at once. They said this would not damage the car in anyway, I am beginning to wonder if this may be what caused the turbo to go...?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - Collos25

Your garage is either incompetent or conning you ,I would if possible take it to someone who knows about engines and will not tell you porkies.

Sounds very much like a clueless garage

post an e-mail address and i can forward some very useful info.

If the funny noisr originally was your injector seals leaking - this in turn clogs the oil which causes the turbo to fail and wreck the engine !

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - Geoff31

Could you please send me the bulletin to gcmf@fsmail.net

I am wondering whether it is even worth attempting to get my car fixed? Or should I just write it off and never buy a focus again?

I have been told that the turbo is knackered and I should not invest the money attempting to get it fixed as if the engine is damaged this is worth more than the car.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance....

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - 3puddings

Could I get a copy of this TSB too please karljjamieson@gmail.com

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - 3puddings

I have just bought a reconditioned turbo and fixing kit for 350. I have twio spare injectors and now need to find someone that can clean the sump and the other work needed. No choice 2 years left on finance & need the car. The focus diesel is the worst car I have ever had, nothing but problems

Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - gavlarr82
Hi there could you please send me any info you have for this 1.6tdci ford/pug engine. My turbo has also been replaced and is still not right. It is making a injector knocking noise now and I have dense smoke when it revs.
Any info tsb and pics would be great. Many thanks
gav-b@live.com
Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - wrfoxy

Very helpful posts.

Having just acquired a 2005 1.6 d mazda with a turbo problem, could you send the tsb and pics. Wayne.fox@tesco.net.

Many thanks
Ford Focus 1.6 tdi 2005 (65k) - turbo problems - lee_hughes3

Hi

Stabbing in the dark as these posts are quite old now but if possible and the author is still active could any details on these issues be sent to me via email please ?

lee_hughes3@hotmail.com

my focus has just been returned to the dealer for a issue where the car was in limp home mode first they replaced the EGR Valve which did not work then they say it was a turbo issue and it needed a new one which they have done but now the turbo kicks in very aggressively (when it works) but in 1st gear at 3k revs is will not pass this point with no turbo kicking in i belive the number 3 injector is leaking and blue smoke comes from the oil fill cap when the cap is removed!!!!

I would say that only the turbo was replaced and no other parts were checked or replaced and this is the root cause of the issues im having!

kindest regards for any helpers out there

Lee