Selling car & payment - Andrew Barnes

I will shortly be selling my Golf 1.8T and am uncertain about how to receive payment from a private buyer. Do I take cash and how do I know the notes aren't forged? How do you check if a bankers draft is real?

Thanks

Andrew
Re: Selling car & payment - Andrew Bairsto
Do not give the car away until anyform of cheque bankers draft has cleared as for cash you could always take it to a bank before you hand the car over
Re: Selling car & payment - Stuart Bruce
You will also get charged a rapid clearance fee.
Re: Selling car & payment - honest john
The anwers are in the how to buy and sell cars section of the website. Take the money in a bank where you can deposit it straight away without getting a knock on the head. If the bank takes it, the deal's done.

HJ
Re: Selling car & payment - Neil
Just to confirm HJ's advice both here on the site and in the books: I sold our Fiat Bravo this year using what's said on this site and in print with little hassle.

I had two copies of three receipts - one for a deposit to secure the car, one to say that a cheque or similar had been received, and one to say that the funds had cleared and the listed documentation were passed to the new owner. All these receipts are signed by both you and the prospective owner, providing a clear indication of the stages of the deal. I took a building society cheque, ensuring that the customer details matched those in the account book, and also that addresses on the driving licence and account book matched.

For handling cash and even for the building society cheque I would ensure everything was completed in the bank.

By being organised the whole selling process was made enjoyable and gave confidence to the new owner. I'd recommend HJ's advice.
Re: Selling car & payment - Gwyn Parry
There are forged BAnker's Drafts around as local Volvo dealer found out a few years ago..........Sans T5...
Re: Selling car & payment - honest john
If you botherered to read what I wrote about banker's drafts (it's there on this site) then there would be no chance of accepting a forged bankers draft.

HJ