2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - misterfrostie

Hi the strangest thing happened to my Dads car tonight. The hazards came on whilst driving and couldn't be switched off. He parked up on the drive and we managed to turn them off with the hazard switch. They then came on again a few minutes later and stayed on for maybe 30-40 seconds then went off. They then came on again and off after another 30 or 40 seconds or so. They're now on permanently and I can't get them to switch off. I've tried disconnecting the hazard switch, tried removing each fuse in turn, given all the doors a good slam, tried the interior alarm override switch, new batteries in the remotes, still nothing. Worse still it only started playing up when a potential buyer for it arrived at the house. Heard it might be a central locking controller that might be damp or something similar. Any suggestions much appreciated.

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - elekie&a/c doctor

This could be a problem with water/damp in the convenience control module.Lift the carpet on the passenger floor(not easy as it is anchored under the plastic sill trims)and locate a large black plastic box.Open this up to inspect the module and wiring.If it is wet you may be lucky and dry it out.hth

Great thanks I'll give that a try today and let you know how I get on

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - Peter D

The A4 uses an 'Onboard power supply control unit' J519 This is mounted behind the storage shelf drivers side. There are a lot of connectes to check. One of them is the 'Crash' sensor signal to automatically turn the flashers on. I suspect it could be this. A diag should indicate, no pun intended, the problem but a connocter chaeck first may resolve your issue. Regards Peter

J519 controlls all the lighting, interior lights and even brake lights. Check all functions, if they are all OK then again this is pointing to the crash connection or the signals from the alarmor a failed J519 unit itself. Regards Peter

Stripped the central locking module out and warmed it gently in the oven (60 degrees) - installed it again and no hazards. Took it for a spin and they came on after about 2 mins. Hazard switch turned them off. Came on again after 30 seconds, couldn't turn off. Pulled up on the drive and switched engine off. Hazards stayed on. Fiddled with the switches on the dash and discovered that if the hazards are flashing cycling the headlights on and off turns the hazards off. Cycling the headlights again then switches the hazards on again and so on. I think its getting towards diagnostics time unless anyone has any further suggestions :o(

I suggest you read my two posts again. Regards Peter

Thanks Peter. I've checked all the other lights, interior and exterior and all seems OK. My Dads gonna take it to the local garage on Tuesday morning and see if they can sort it. A mate of mine with a local garage reckons it might be the alarm siren ECU which apparently are well known for getting damp. I think this is located behind the rear bumper - thats certainly where the siren is but I'm not about to take the back bumper off.

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - bathtub tom

>>I suggest you read my two posts again. Regards Peter

Looks like he can't be bothered. Why should we?

Not the case at all and I don't see the purpose of you coming along and getting a***y - I did as Peter suggested and checked all functions relating to lighting etc and all seemed OK. I'm very appreciative of the advice that was given, its just that potentially now stripping sections of the dash out or taking the back bumper off is taking me away from what I'm entirely comfortable doing.

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - bathtub tom

Sorry about that. I shouldn't post late at night, when I've had a bad day.

However. A lot of people post on here and obviously ignore the advice given. Even more disappear, never to be heard again. Feedback, both positive and negative, adds to the wealth of information.

Appreciate that but I'm genuinely not after free advice without giving something back.

Part of the panic was due to the car being up for sale, in the meantime it's been sold with the fault, the buyer happy to address it himself. He's promised to let me know what the problem was when its identified so I'll post it back on this thread when I've found out. Thanks again for everyones help with this. If I'd had more time maybe I'd have investigated this further but sadly time was of the essence. A happy outcome so far though.

Noticed yesterday that the drivers side carpet was still a little damp after I used an upholstery cleaner to remove a stain. Wonder if theres a module under the carpet there that might have got damp as a result ?

I texted the guy that bought it who drove it home 120 miles. The hazards started on our drive, I switched them off by cycling the headlights and he got all the way home without it happening again.

Just heard back from the guy who bought it and I quote :

"A control module next to the fuse box under dash - they opened it up to check for dry joints etc but can't see anything so are ordering a new one"

£300 all in apparently including £60 diagnostic fee. Looks like Peter might have got it spot on. I've asked him if it is the J519 unit but he is not sure.

If I get any more detail I'll post it up

Yes it is J519, expensive as it does quite a lot. Regards Peter

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - neo1

Hi i bought this car in question and i took it to the auto electricians and they diagnosed it as a electrical unit part number 8E0907279D some power control unit up behind the dash, ive got the old unit, and car is perfect now :)

Rob

Yep that's the 'Onboard power supply control unit' J519 That is mounted behind the storage shelf drivers side. Check with BBA re-man, they may repair these, then you could sell it or keep it as a spare. Regards Peter

Thanks Peter spot on with your diagnosis their..

What is BBA rep-man a user name on here or a short cut for somewhere sorry dont know what you mean thats all..

Rob

www.bba-reman.com Google found it even with my typo. Regards Peter

Spot on mate thanks :)

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - 2002 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0L V6

I have all the same problems as stated above, but with a 2002 Audi A4 Quattro 3.0, does anyone know what part I would need to fix this? My driver side floor got wet due to sunroof leakage and I think maybe something in the floor got damaged, PLEASE HELP ME! :(

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - dicky133

hi peter u seem 2 no wot your talking about can u help me iv similer problems 0n 03 2.5 tdi s line no elec windows no interriour light or door locks and cant comunicate with computer wont let me and have air bag light on ps carpet is wet is this my problem thanks gaz

Edited by dicky133 on 17/02/2014 at 22:57

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - The-Mechanic

Hi gaz,

Sounds like the convenience control unit has got wet or the connections on the passenger side A pillar are corroded by water ingress ?

Take the passenger's plastic sill trim and lower A pillar kick panel off, lift the carpet and check inside the module for dampness and green, corroded connections. Also, check the connection blocks in the rail on the A pillar by disconnecting them and inspecting for corrosion on the pins. It's usually the grey coloured block connector that gets it badly.

If either location show bad connections you may be lucky and a case of drying them and cleaning with a good electrical contact cleaner may fix it ? Don't forget to find and cure the cause of the water ingress though. The usual culprit is blocked drainage holes in the plenum (battery compartment) that fills up and spills over the pollen filter housing and into the cabin.

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - dieselnut

Excellent advice from Mech.

Regarding the pollen filter, you will need to remove the complete pollen filter plastic housing. Underneath you'll almost certainly find that the foam rubber water seal has failed. This needs to be replaced after you have cleaned out all the crud. VW do an updated solid rubber seal or you can use a good slug of silicon sealer.

Spot on mate black box flooded out but its past drying out looks like new 1 needed do they need coded or not cheers gaz

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - dieselnut

If you need a new CCU it will need coding to the car, so you will have to find someone local with VCDS or your VW dealer.

But normally if you take the lid off the box & thoroughly dry the PCB & connexions it will work again. Also make sure all the plug connexions are in tact & devoid of any corrosion.

That includes the plugs on the A pillar.

Edited by dieselnut on 20/02/2014 at 14:20

2003 Audi A4 Tdi Sport - 2003 Audi A4 can't turn hazards off - The-Mechanic

Glad you found the problem, not so glad it was what I suspected mate. Like diesel said, it may dry out ( stick it in a bag of silca granules or a bag of rice ) for a couple of days as that'll dry it out, plus it'll give you time to find and cure the cause of the leak.

Get some electrical contact cleaner spray ( Maplins will sell it ) and give all the connections a good going over and plug/un-plug them a few times whilst soaking to clean them better.

In an ideal situation you'd remove the carpet and sound deadening to allow it to dry out as you'll get a musty smell in time, plus the interior glass will constantly mist up due to the moisture.

All the best of luck with it......

thanks buddy all dryed up new moduel fitted elec windows working but no interrerr lights or door lights r they controlled by that modual 2?or key 2 lock unlock doors? ps i have airbag light on it pass front g284 012 elec fault in circuit it is faulty wiring 2 that side cause i changed them round and getting no power with meter any idias thanks