Mazda5 or Ford S-Max - Reverand

Hi All

Our family is expanding and we are looking for a larger car. I've always had a penchant for Japanese cars,especially Mazda and am considering the 5. I also like the look of the S-Max. We don't need 7 seats on a day to day basis, but the extra space would be very useful on the reasonably frequent trips with extended family and friends.

Has anyone got any thoughts on these models? I think we'd prefer to stick to petrol models (too many issues with DPFs on both of these) in either the sport/furano or titanium spec.

Are there any alternatives to these (7 seats but not full size mpvs) I'd also prefer steer clear of the french offerings.

Budget is up to 10k

Thanks

Rev

Edited by Reverand on 26/05/2010 at 20:28

Mazda5 or Ford S-Max - Avant

The 5 is a cheaper (and smaller) car than the S-Max, so you'd get a newer one for your £10k. If you don't need the extra space (and you say you don't want a full-size MPV) the 5 could be right. The Toyota Verso is another possiblity, but the petrol engines are only 1.8s as against the choice of 1.8 or 2.0 in the Mazda.

There are some horror stories of Mazda diesels failing in a big way just when the warranty runs out, so you're right to stick to petrol.

Mazda5 or Ford S-Max - Reverand

Thanks.

I've had mazdas, so know they are generally reliable. I'm also aware of the tyre issue with the petrol 5's but can live with that, by choosing decent tyres and getting the tracking/alignment done.

Mazda5 or Ford S-Max - cheddar

Both the 5 and S-Max are better to drive than the Verso, I would err towards a 2.0 diesel S-Max.

Mazda5 or Ford S-Max - kooti

I agree with you.

(Edit: website deleted. Sorry, we can't allow a website name that could look like advertising.)

Edited by Avant on 31/05/2010 at 11:44

Mazda5 or Ford S-Max - awbp

We've just been through the same buying decision, and in the end chose an S-Max. The Mazda5 looked and drove well (in 2 litre petrol form at least), and as a former MX-5 owner we'd previously been happy with the dealer, but the middle seat in the second row of the Mazda5 put us off. There are really only two individual seats, with an occasional child seat which flips out from the seat base of one of the other seats when required. For us this meant we'd need to use the third row much more often, which in turn would mean no boot space. In my mind the S-Max just feels much more car like to drive as well.

I think however you will get a much newer Mazda5 for £10k. The cheapest S-Max we saw at the Ford dealer was £11k for a four year old LX, and similar age Titaniums are at least £1500 more.

Happy hunting!

Mazda5 or Ford S-Max - a900ss

I know that I'm coming to this discussion late but the S-Max is a MUCH bigger car than either the 5 or Verso.

I loved my S-Max and wouldn;t hesitate to recommend it but it will eat front tyres. 12k is the norm for fronts, I managed 15k as I was a heavy motorway user at the time.

Good Luck