Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica maintenance costs - Ezzie

I wonder if anyone in the forum has had experience of the maintenance costs for high mileage Toyota Celica? I have owned a 2005 (55) Celica since August 2007 and there was 63k miles on the clock when I bought it. I am doing about 11k a year and there is now just under 90k on it. When I had the annual service done in March 2008 at the local Toyota dealer it needed the cam belt done and two new front tyres, This plus the service came to around £620. This year I had it serviced at the same dealer. The service cost £168 but I was advised that it needed new discs and pads all round. To save a bit on the cost I had the work done by a local independent but it was still a big bill. I was planning to keep the car for about another 10 to 12 months and I wondered if anybody can give me a guess on the probability of getting another big bill in that period?

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica maintenance costs - Dutchie

Hello Ezzie,how long is a piece of string?You are taking care of your car.I would keep the car for another year or longer most cars can do over 100k if looked after and i cannot see any problems with yoursDisc pads exhaust oil changes are routine maintenance.Garages are never cheap for services.To guess when the next big bill is due is very difficult,be positive and enjoy your car if the independent garage is ok keep using them to save some money.Good luck.:)

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica maintenance costs - madf

Judging by the bills a near neighbour gets for a VW Polo which is 8 years old, you seem to be getting off lightly... £450 for a service , belt and MOT...

And compared to a Mercedes or a Renault of the same age, you are complaining about peanuts..

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica maintenance costs - DP

I was in the local motor factors the other day when the chap at the counter next to me was buying brake discs and pads for his Celica. Let's just say I could replace three sets on my Golf GTI for only a couple of quid more than he paid for one set.

Based on a friend's experience with a 51 reg 190, the later shape Celicas, lovely as they are, are not particularly reliable or well built, and neither do they age well.

His, at 3 yrs old and 57,000 miles (when he got rid) was on its third gearbox, fourth catalytic converter, third radio/CD unit, second air-con compressor, and second alternator. It had also had most of the suspension bushes replaced at least once, and rattled and squeaked like an old truck. It also wore its tyres in the most bizarre way imaginable.

The only part of the car which seemed to deserve the Japanese reputation was the engine, which was an absolute belter from day 1, and never missed a beat.

Main dealer supplied car (3 mth old ex demo), driven hard but not abused, 80% motorway / long run use, and full Toyota S/H. Dealer was superb, Toyota GB were about as helpful and sympathetic as housebricks.

Never bought into the Jap = guaranteed reliability / low running cost thing after that, personally. In fairness though, it doesn't take much "extra" work to get a main dealer bill the wrong side of £500 on any car these days, which is why I would never use one, and certainly not on a 5 yr old car. Find a good indie.

Edited by DP on 27/05/2010 at 16:59

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica maintenance costs - madf

His, at 3 yrs old and 57,000 miles (when he got rid) was on its third gearbox, fourth catalytic converter, third radio/CD unit, second air-con compressor, and second alternator. It had also had most of the suspension bushes replaced at least once, and rattled and squeaked like an old truck. It also wore its tyres in the most bizarre way imaginable.

My comment:

Mani s either a liar or a fool .. or both.

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica maintenance costs - SteveLee

I replaced the front discs and pads on my mate's 2003 190 Celica (which he has had from new) a few years ago, the parts were £70, yes you'll get aftermarket stuff for high volume cars cheaper, but some of the cheap stuff is exactly that. These discs were extremely good quality and nicely machined – they've lasted 50K so far. If I remember rightly they were from Japanesecarspares.

His car has covered over 110K miles and other than routine servicing has never needed any spannering, despite the fact he has a lead foot - it's still on its original clutch.

Toyotas deserve their reputation - yes they ARE much more reliable than (overrated) VAG cars - warranty companies don't charge less for Toyotas for charity reasons - it's because they break down less. I'm not anti VAG I used to race Golfs and ran them exclusively for years - but Mk3 onwards reliability got gradually worse - they are now no more reliable than any other car. Mk1 and 2s were (deservingly) legendary. But old Polos were often rot boxes which would give and Alfasud a good race in terms of tinworm tenacity, similarly some modern Audis would make 70s Lucas electrics look wholesome.

I'm very surprised about the poor reliability of the above car – but that's just one car – all manufacturers knock out “Friday cars” occasionally. One swallow does not make summer.

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica maintenance costs - primeradriver

I am not buying it, to be perfectly honest.

Anyone who keeps hold of a car as bad as that for a full three years is a total mug. FOUR catalytic converters? Get real. Either abuse or bovine scatology. Not even a bad Renault is that unreliable.

And all this talk of expensive parts -- a quick look on ebay shows that the brake discs on a Celica are no more expensive than any other "performance" car, at around £60 a set. If you can get discs for a "reliable" Golf (watch out for that £1500 ABS pump though eh?) for £15 you're a better man than I. Indeed the more powerful Golf TDI brake discs seem every bit as expensive, and then some.

I would also say that the engine on that car can't have been that much of a peach if the system managed to poison three cats.

To the OP, if you're complaining about service parts, don't buy a sporty car next time. Buy a 1.0 Corsa with its cheap parts and watch as your sense of joy goes down the drain over the following months.

Edited by primeradriver on 27/05/2010 at 19:41

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica maintenance costs - DP

This was all documented with Toyota. The early 190's had issues with unburnt fuel going into the exhaust on the overrun in the aggressive cam mode. It took several engine management revisions to fix it.

The first gearbox failed (grenaded would be a more accurate description) because it was misbuilt. There was a poorly fitted circlip on one of the shafts. This was documented by Toyota who changed it under warranty. The second had a notchy quality from new and never improved. He had to fight to get it changed again.

At the end of the day, this sequence of events is real. He is a close mate of mine, who I saw regularly throughout this sorry saga.

He kept it because the warranty covered everything, and he loved the car. When it worked.

I am not saying I would never buy a Japanese car, or that they are not statistically more reliable than European cars, but if you can't accept that they can, and do go wrong, and that building an unreliable dog is something they are perfectly capable of doing, you are simply deluding yourself.

I have two reliable Volkswagens. So I must be lying, right? Get a grip.

Edited by DP on 28/05/2010 at 10:57

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica maintenance costs - Ezzie

Thanks for all the advice lads. It looks like the outcome is pretty hard to predict and owners have mixed experiences. I guess I will have to give it a bit of thought alhough I am pretty fond of the car.

Toyota Celica - Toyota Celica maintenance costs - christo

My Celica isn't particularly high mileage for it's age at 70,000miles on a 51 plate, but it has been super reliable. I have owned the car for 2.5 years and have kept it regularly serviced including oil chages every 6k by yours truly using Toyoata filters etc.

It's a fantastic car with good engine (140) bhp and six speed gearbox. The leather interior is comfy yet practicle and the bodywork is corrosion free. The only thing I had to do was get the original alloys refurbed as they were looking pretty rough. I hope my future cars are as rellable!!

Regards, Chris