Honda FR-V - Parking sensors problem - Jock70

Any Honda mechanics (or auto-electricians) here?

I have a 2005 (55) FR-V which I got parking sensors fitted to about 2 years ago (proper Honda sensors, and they were fitted by a Honda dealer). They have recently stopped working and I just get a low tone which the manual says means 'system defective'.

I have managed to get a hold of the fitting instructions which contain a short section on self diagnosis when things go wrong. It seems a very simple process but I'm not sure I understand the first step, which is fundamental. It says "connect diagnostic signal to GND" - I presume GND is the earth wire coming from the parking sensors ECU but I'm not sure what the 'diagnostic signal' is - would it just be a simple 12v live or is it more than that ?

Top Reply

Honda FR-V - Parking sensors problem - dgrm1234

Did anyone get this problem sorted, or did you give up and buy a new set?

I've got a faulty rear sensor on my FR-V. It was fitted by Honda, but I've had the trim off and can't see the ECU - they must have stuffed it down into the wheel well.

It now gives a continuous low tone when reverse is engaged, and I suspect it will be expensive for Honda to repair. Any advice appreciated.

D

All Replies

Honda FR-V - Parking sensors problem - elekie&a/c doctor

Most of the aftermarket parking sensors for Honda fitted by dealers are made by laserline or Cobra.There is possibly another wire attached to the reverse sensor control unit that is not connected .This is the wire that needs to be grounded/earthed to enable the diagnostic mode.hth

Thanks for the response 'elekie&a/c doctor'.

So you reckon a spare wire needs earthed, rather than my uneducated assumption that the earth wire needs a +ive feed. Would you be able to confirm if you saw the full instruction manual ? - I've uploaded it here :- http://rapidshare.com/files/391539449/Honda_FR-V_parking_sensors__08V67-SJD-6010-96EN00_.pdf.html

I would appreciate your help if you can take a look. The diagnostic process is on page 19.

Cheers !

Honda FR-V - Parking sensors problem - elekie&a/c doctor

This certainly looks like an original Honda kit.The instructions only describe 2 connections;One to the reverse light and one to an earth/ground point.There does not seem to be any mention of the diagnosis link wire or any wiring diagram.May be an idea to locate the control unit ,somewhere in the boot,to see if there is a spare unconnected wire.I would guess this would be the wire that needs to be earthed to start the diagnostic function.hth

Yes, it was an original Honda kit. I bought it (off ebay) from a Honda dealer who was auctioning off old stock, then paid my local Honda dealer to fit it for me.

A mechanic friend of mine did strip out the boot trim etc a few weeks ago to see if there were any loose connections causing the problem. What you say about an extra wire does seem to 'ring a bell' - if there is one, you reckon this just needs to be earthed (and the ignition turned on) to start the diagnostic function - is that right?

OK, we stripped out the boot lining again today and located the parking sensors ECU. Discovered that it's actually a Bosch Parkpilot (part no. 0263004011) unit, although it was bought from Honda. My recollection from the last time was wrong, and there are no spare wires coming from the ECU.

We noticed 2 wires which come from the ECU and terminate in what looks like a fuse holder, but actually has a resistor in it. Removing this resistor appears to start a diagnostic sequence but it's nothing like the one in the Honda manual that I have. Can anyone help ?

The sequence goes :-

1. long beep (maybe 3s)

2. Lots of short beeps, for maybe 2s

3. 1 medium beep (maybe 1s)

4. 2 medium beeps

5. 3 medium beeps

6. 4 medium beeps

then back to 1. (each of the above steps have a gap of maybe 2s between them)

I'm guessing that steps 3 to 6 are the 4 sensors, but don't know if this just means they are fine. Presumably step 2., the series of very short beeps is telling me something is wrong, but what ?

Honda FR-V - Parking sensors problem - Collos25

You can by a complete new system for peanouts of ebay why bother wasting time trying to repair it.

Honda FR-V - Parking sensors problem - piggy

<<You can by a complete new system for peanouts of ebay why bother wasting time trying to repair it.>>

Yes,very true. I bought mine for under £50 and it`s been on the car for over three years with no problems whatsoever. Bought it from Dolphin Audio and fitted it myself. Excellent value for money. Just repairing an old system could easily cost more than it`s worth.

Honda FR-V - Parking sensors problem - Gobsheen
Hi,
Noob here! Where in the boot is the unit and what does it look like. We've got the problem of the warning sound staying on whenever it's in reverse. Driving my wife mad and it's clearly my fault!

Any suggestions other than changing the unit? I don't have any VW diag kit.

Anyone?

I could really do with some help on this one!

Honda FR-V - Parking sensors problem - Collos25

What type of car is it a Honda or VW if its a VW they are normally behind one the boot wall trims.

Hi,
It's a 2007 Honda FRV

How do I subscribe to this thread to get an email if someone responds?

Edited by Gobsheen on 09/11/2010 at 23:37

Honda FR-V - Parking sensors problem - dgrm1234

Did anyone get this problem sorted, or did you give up and buy a new set?

I've got a faulty rear sensor on my FR-V. It was fitted by Honda, but I've had the trim off and can't see the ECU - they must have stuffed it down into the wheel well.

It now gives a continuous low tone when reverse is engaged, and I suspect it will be expensive for Honda to repair. Any advice appreciated.

D