oh no! leaky mondeo - blank
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=80...#

See above!

I really should not tempt fate like that! I now have a Mondeo with a wet boot carpet near the offside light, and a fun Saturday planned to find and rectify the problem.

I'm surprised this issue does not yet warrant a mention in the cbcb.

Have others found the problem to be the seal between light unit and bodywork, or within the light unit?
Any success getting Ford to fix the problem on a 3-4 year old car?

Thanks all
Andy

oh no! leaky mondeo - Galaxy
Do a search for "Leaking Mondeo", "Ford Mondeo Water Ingress", or anything similar you can think of. You should find lots of info.

Yes, HJ did say a while back that, if there were any more reports of this problem, it would get a mention in the cbcb.

How about it, then, HJ?
John:

Thanks for the reply, but I have. I have even suggested the same to other posters for the same subject, but the answers to my questions are not clear. It's not the end of the world if I have to search out the exact source of the leak myself, but it would be nice to know where it's probably from, or indeed if I would be able to get Ford to fix it.

Andy
oh no! leaky mondeo - Galaxy
Andy,

If your Mondeo is leaking in the same place as mine was, and it probably is, the problem is with a mastic type seal that is on the inside of the light cluster unit. This is held in contact with the bodywork by the four captive bolts that retain the cluster.

The seal is either distorted, perished, or perhaps even both.

It is available as a Ford part, but I just did a quick repair with some general silicone rubber type sealer that I bought in a DIY store. I placed a new bead on the back of the old seal, left it to semi-harden and then bolted the cluster back in place. Not an ideally perfect job, I would agree, but the leak has very nearly gone and nowhere near as bad as originally.

To do a perfect job you would need to obtain a new seal from a Ford dealer. One day when I'm bored I'll probably buy one.

As far as asking a Ford dealer to fix it, personally I wouldn't even bother asking. They'd probably make it worse!

I hope this help you,

John
That's a great help, thanks

Andy