Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - WaxMechaniK

Hello! I have also posted this on the Evo forums but trying to get a varied response. Here goes...

Basically, I am looking for a new car, brand new OR used, depending on value/finance options. I am specifically looking for something that your less likely to find on the road compared to a more popular car like a Fiesta. I'm looking for something more rare, and/or something new on the market, something unusual.

But it also needs to be cheap to relatively cheap to run. Reason being is I only passed my test last year! (currently 23, yes I know I passed late!).

I am looking at a budget of around £12,000 maximum. The more expensive the car, it will have to be new not used.

At the moment I've been looking at the Alfa Romeo Mito (which is at the top end of my budget), the new Chevrolet Spark and also upcoming cars like the Nissan Juke (however I am unsure whether this will be OK on insurance, safety seems good).

I'm looking for some advice and some ideas for a new car. I'm looking to purchase something ASAP to replace my current Peugeot 106 and needs to looks 'newer' or 'expensive' as I will be visiting clients for my job as a graphic designer.

So any input will be greatly appreciated, looking forward to your replies! Thanks!

=]

Here are everyone's ideas from the Evo forums and my comments...

Clio V6

www.iceposter.com/thumbs/A38859_b.jpg

Definitely a no-no on insurance!

Fiat Panda 100

photos.evo.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/d...g

I'm not sure about this one. At a glance it's a pretty cool looking car, especially the back. But the front just looks like a box shaped van. Nicely priced for a new car, but I think I prefer the style of the Chevvy Spark.

Nissan Figuro

www.carlustblog.com/images/2008/11/02/black_figaro...g

No no no!

VW Polo Dune

www.pulmanvolkswagen.co.uk/blog/uploaded_images/cr...g

I do like these although the design is a little simple for me, plus the orangey colour will be difficult to find! Also, they're probably a bit too big.

Alfa GT Diesel

images.autosupermarket.it/Alfa%20Romeo-GT-Piemonte...g

Beautiful, although a little bit too big, and probably nasty on insurance.

Renault Twingo

www.carpages.co.uk/renault/renault_images/renault-...g

I like these but would everyone consider these to be unusual/not so many around? I think if they were a bit cheaper again (not that they're expensive) I'd consider, but I can't help being reminded of a Cinquecento!

Fiat 500 Abarth

www.rpmgo.com/images/fiat_500_abarth_leaked.jpg

To me this is a woman's car, I've seen women driving 500's. I don't like the design.

Toyota Sera

www.terra2imports.ca/ab-images/113082200299852.jpg

This was my idea of a dream 'everyday' car years ago. So futuristic and waayyy ahead of its time in terms of design. But they still aren't cheap for their age, and I think I'd want something newer. Love it though, thanks for reminding me!

Audi A2

www.cargurus.com/images/2008/09/01/07/16/pic-18147...g

I've always liked these too, quite interesting shape. There's one for sale at a dealer near me for just under £5k with blue seats! I'm worried about the mileage of all the ones I've seen though, all pretty high considering their price.

Citroen DS3

www.dieselstation.com/pics/2011-Citroen-DS3-car-pi...g

This would be awesome, it's just about to be released and looks very individual. It's £11,700 for the most basic model which is missing some of the car's advertised features like daytime LED lighting which is striking on the car, maybe I can configure this as an add-on.

I think I'm still pushing towards this though:

Alfa Romeo Mito

liveimages.carsales.com.au/duc/car/dealer/carsales...g

Love the design and style, looks more expensive than it's worth! And it has that Alfa Romeo badge and distinctive grill which oozes connotations of quality. I'm liking the graphite colour.

And possibly:

Chevrolet Spark

indianautosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/che...g

Love the design on this, not too expensive and only been out about 2 months. Not seen many or any around.

Nissan Juke

cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/02/ni...g

At £13k starting price it's a bit pricey and might be hefty on insurance. Hard to tell at the moment as it's not quite yet released.

--

I do want to make an impression with a car, but also want something I really like myself, and that's usually something very different from the norm. Making an impression is NOT my only buying factor though. I go for looks as my primary buying factor.

Edited by WaxMechaniK on 24/05/2010 at 11:06

Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - veryoldbear

Why do you want to make an impression with your car ? If you turn up with a smart new motor at your clients, won't they just say "Flash bgr, we are paying him too much ..... "

Turn up in a twenty year old landy, they might take pity on you and give you a contract ....

Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - davecooper

As much as I hate to say it for fear of them becoming too common, the Mazda 2 has got to be a consideration. I drove much of the competition before I decided on one of these. My priorities were cost to buy and run, looks, handling, equipment and a bit of rarity. There are a few more around now but the Fiesta still outsells them by a large margin (and of course it is a sister car to the Fiesta). If you can live without class leading space and can live with a bit of road noise, niether of which bother me, then in my opinion there is not much to touch the 2 at the price .

As much as I hate to say it for fear of them becoming too common, the Mazda 2 has got to be a consideration. I drove much of the competition before I decided on one of these. My priorities were cost to buy and run, looks, handling, equipment and a bit of rarity. There are a few more around now but the Fiesta still outsells them by a large margin (and of course it is a sister car to the Fiesta). If you can live without class leading space and can live with a bit of road noise, niether of which bother me, then in my opinion there is not much to touch the 2 at the price .

I'm a big fan of the design of the new Fiesta and the Mazda 2. I've already seen tons of the new Fiesta's around. Considering their price, I do prefer the Mito. I'm going to take a look at the Mazda 2 again though after considering your comments, but I think the insurance group starts at 11 for the lowest end model. Thanks for that though.

Why do you want to make an impression with your car ? If you turn up with a smart new motor at your clients, won't they just say "Flash bgr, we are paying him too much ..... "

Turn up in a twenty year old landy, they might take pity on you and give you a contract ....

Actually that's a pretty good point, never thought of that! If you had your own business and I turned up in my current 1996 Peugeot 106 with the odd scratch/dent, what would you think? Or if I turned up in a brand new Alfa Romeo Mito, what would you think?

I sorta really want the Mito because I like it so much though, and its not as expensive as what I would have once thought. And I really do need a newer car for my personal requirement.

Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - veryoldbear

To be honest, I do think the Mito is very dinky.

To be honest, I do think the Mito is very dinky.

It's not tiny, but its a nice smaller size. I tried it out and it drives like a dream and doesn't feel too big.

Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - BorisTheSpider

Have you considered something a little larger, sales rep type (Vectra, Mondeo etc) should be able to get something nearly new (1/2 year old) more professional than what you have now, but not quite as flash as the Mito et al. It's a toughie as a graphic designer you will want to stand out.

Boris

Have you considered something a little larger, sales rep type (Vectra, Mondeo etc) should be able to get something nearly new (1/2 year old) more professional than what you have now, but not quite as flash as the Mito et al. It's a toughie as a graphic designer you will want to stand out.

Boris

Ah but I want something that's not the usual sales rep style of car, although I'm not a sales rep anyway! A Vectra or Mondeo is at the complete opposite end of the scale for me! too big, too common and not that nice looking, in my own opinion.

But yeh, I do want to stand out. I just want something not many other people have.

Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - SteveLee

www.kia.co.uk/New-Cars/Range/Compact/Soul.aspx

Kia Soul, a bit left-field, starts at £11,500 and has that wonderful 7 year warranty! Very roomy for four adults.

I know I extolled the virtues of the Mazda 2 earlier, but I must come clean and say that I had to have four doors so the MiTo was not a consideration and I didn't drive one. However, I have always wanted an Alfa and had there been a 5 door MiTo around 18 Months ago then it may have been a different story.

I know I extolled the virtues of the Mazda 2 earlier, but I must come clean and say that I had to have four doors so the MiTo was not a consideration and I didn't drive one. However, I have always wanted an Alfa and had there been a 5 door MiTo around 18 Months ago then it may have been a different story.

I see. I think its clear that my best choice is the Mito within this price range. I think the reason I havn't dived in because of price and since it would be brand new, and an Alfa, I'd be worried about leaving it around my local area/paranoid about scuffing it.

I was discussing on the Evo forums how my friends and colleagues have been urging me NOT to buy brand new because of the thousands pounds worth of value you lose when you leave the dealer. I'm wondering what everyone's view on this is?

www.kia.co.uk/New-Cars/Range/Compact/Soul.aspx

Kia Soul, a bit left-field, starts at £11,500 and has that wonderful 7 year warranty! Very roomy for four adults.

I like the Soul, although I think I'd really want the Soul Burner, looks hot! And I've NEVER seen one of those editions around. But the Burner is out of my price range. And for these prices I prefer the Mito.

New or nearly new is always an issue when buying a car and I can see the sense in both. I have always bought used in the past as I drove larger more expensive cars which I couldn’t afford new.

However, since the kids moved out and it was only me and the missus left, it seemed sensible to downsize and it was only then that a new car became a possibility. I bought on a PCP so it really had to be a new car. However, I am glad I did, being the only person to drive the car from new, I know that a previous owner hasn’t abused the car in any way and I can look after it the way I want to from new. Also, I didn’t spend weeks trawling round dealers and through papers trying to find the right spec, colour, mileage etc. There is also the little kick you can get from driving a new plate car on March/Sept 1 st .

Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - tunacat

Mitsubishi " i "

Daihatsu Materia

Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - tonypony

I recommend the Chevy spark by miles, it’s a quirky but well designed car, I felt the same looking around at all the other offerings like the i10 the ford fiesta and fiat 500, ECT which look boring and are common place now.

I have owned my Chevy spark 1.2 LS for about a month now and since the engine has bedded in about (700) miles it has improved on fuel consumption 45mpg it town with the air-con on and power delivery has increased a lot since the first few weeks of ownership.

The only vice i have with the Chevy spark is its auto locking doors after a few minutes, if you leave your key in the ignition in the off position you end up with you keys locked it the car “Due warning” otherwise it’s very well built car with no rattles or unreliability’s a cheap car to buy and run and looks aggressive which I think makes it a mans car.

Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - cilvilservant

If a client turned up in a MIto - I wouldn't think anything.

If he turned up in a 20 year old Landy (or another equally "absurd car") - you will have already made an impression. Doesn't matter whether it's a good or bad impression.

YOU will be the one to make the important impression, not the car. BUT you will certainly be more memorable as the guy driving an unconventional car like a 20 year Landy!

Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - Boulder2k9

I would say that if you spend between 6-8k preferably around 6k and get a decent car for that money, keep the other 6k to reduce overheads as a graphic designer? Alfa 147 springs to mind.

Help Deciding New & Unusual/Rare Cheap-To-Run Car - Sam49

This thread is rather old but what the hell it's a fun one for a friday afternoon.

There is no way I would spend 12k on a car in this situation if I had only recently passed. But another interesting but sensible choice could be a Suzuki Swift.

For a fraction of the cost a designer could make an impression with a cherished modern classic, or a design triumph...80's early 90's cars could qualify for classic insurance?

e.g. Mk 1 Golf, Peugeot 205, Saab 900 or a Volvo 240 GLT estate or the aforementioned Landrover etc etc