Toyota Rav4 XTR Diesel - Dual flywheel - Bigbear

We have a 4 1/2 year old Rav4 with a diesel engine which has done 75,000 miles. It has recently been juddering at 1,500 - 2,000 rpm particularly in 3rd and 4th gears.

Our local garage where we've been taking cars for the past 20 years and are totally honest and trustworthy think it's probably the dual flywheel. They said they will need to strip everything down to check whether this is the problem and will also change the clutch. The parts will cost around £900 + VAT whilst the labour costs will be probably 20+ hours.

Is this a highly unusual problem and due to the age and mileage of the car should we be taking it to a local dealer and due you think Toyota may contribute to the cost? We would rather ask the local garage to do the work because we trust them implicity and their labour costs are about £70 per hour + VAT cheaper!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Toyota Rav4 XTR Diesel - Dual flywheel - springyboy

I think this is a common RAV problem, exactly the same happened to a friends Diesel RAV, and I think Toyota made him a contribution to the repair costs. DMF failure can affect other things like the starter motor, the repair must check everything.

I have heard of some dual mass cars being converted to normal flywheel to reduce the costs and avoid future problems, but it could reduce the smoothness of the engine, especially on a diesel.

If you were thinking of changing the car now would be good, else invest the money and hope to get another four years from it.

Toyota Rav4 XTR Diesel - Dual flywheel - Bigbear

Many thanks for your advice