Volkswagen Golf 2.3 V5 2001 (y reg) - Buying Volkswagen advice - dunno

Volkswagen Golf 2.3 V5 170hbp 20v 2001 (y reg)

Description: 49,500 miles, 5 Door Hatchback, Reflex silver. 17 inch alloys. Petrol, Manual, front/side airbags. CLIMATE CONTROL Air conditioning. Front/rear head restraints, Power assisted steering. Sports seats with height adjustment, front armrest, adjustable steering column/wheel, front/rear electric windows. Remote central locking. Electric/heated door mirrors. Front/rear fog lights. Radio/ 6 CD autochanger with eight speakers. Trip computer. ABS & ASR. Cruise control. Remote alarm/immobiliser. Full VW service history file.

been to see this car, it has had one lady owner from new. it's genuine miles, been serviced every year by the VW dealership. It's had new break callipers, new front coil springs in its last MOT. had new ecu 5 years ago because they were faulty on these models. everything that the MOT has showing up has been done. it's been well looked after, the car is in excellent condition.

What should this car be valued at? he wants £3,750 for it and says glass auto has valued it at £3.995 (but i checked and they value it £3,500). BUT the valuations i've had from autotrader and various other ones has valued it at £3,000 to £3,300. I dont want to pay over the odds for it.

Has anyone owned one of these cars? What would you pay?

Edited by dunno on 13/05/2010 at 12:48

Volkswagen Golf 2.3 V5 2001 (y reg) - Buying Volkswagen advice - Collos25

A few hundred pounds here and there on the purchase price is of no importance compared to the costs of running such a car.With petrol at 120p and rising I would have thought it has no worth.

Volkswagen Golf 2.3 V5 2001 (y reg) - Buying Volkswagen advice - dunno

A few hundred pounds here and there on the purchase price is of no importance compared to the costs of running such a car.With petrol at 120p and rising I would have thought it has no worth.

so i shoud offer zero for the car? lol

I'm not that concerned about fuel economy, 30 miles to the gallon isnt that bad, get me where i'm going and back. I was looking for a value based on the age and description of the car?

There is much more expensive cars on the road to run i.e. range rovers for one, i see them all over the place. are they of no worth? imagine the idiots who have paid 40-70 grand for them lol. you'd never be out of the petrol station driving one of them surely.

Edited by dunno on 13/05/2010 at 14:32

Volkswagen Golf 2.3 V5 2001 (y reg) - Buying Volkswagen advice - DuncanSuperb

Unless it is in showroom condition with a decent after sales warranty, that sounds a tad steep to me.

Rule of thumb on car 'values' - how much is it worth to you? or how much are YOU prepared to pay... thus answering your question. Maybe look at it from the reverse and consider how much are you prepared to forego to be the proud new owner?

It sounds like the OP is looking for a blessing to make this purchase. I say if you really want it and prepared to take the hit of fuel prices, increasing VED costs, higher insurance, and very heavy depreciation - go for it. Enjoy.

Let us know how you get on.

Volkswagen Golf 2.3 V5 2001 (y reg) - Buying Volkswagen advice - Avant

The V5 is a lovely engine and the car should be great to drive. They are quite rare and if you keep it long-term it might hold some value.

Any purchase at this age is a gamble, but if it's from a dealer you will have a certain amount of protection given by the Sale of Goods Act.

Maybe offer £3,400 and hope to get it for £3,500. With the low mileage and the equipment it's probably worth a bit over the odds.

On balance in your position I think I'd go for it.

Volkswagen Golf 2.3 V5 2001 (y reg) - Buying Volkswagen advice - madf

Have you driven it?

Looked at others?

If No and No, you are not serious.

If yes and yes, sounds good, buy it.

Volkswagen Golf 2.3 V5 2001 (y reg) - Buying Volkswagen advice - Sofa Spud

Someone had a V5 Golf round here and they weren't gentle with the revs - it made a noise like a cow mooing!

QUOTE:...""If yes and yes, sounds good, buy it."" That would be the moo-cow noise, then!

"Moooo-ooo, moooooo-oooo"

Edited by Sofa Spud on 15/05/2010 at 10:46

Volkswagen Golf 2.3 V5 2001 (y reg) - Buying Volkswagen advice - ijws15

1.8T had same power and torque as the V5, was lighter and much more economical, less complex and will be cheaper to fix.

Where as an old V5 would be lucky to fetch £1000 at auction small engine Golfs and diesels fetch extremely good money.The previous mail sums its up, but a fool and his money are easily parted in the motor trade.One more point 30mpg maybe downhill with a tailwind.

Where as an old V5 would be lucky to fetch £1000 at auction small engine Golfs and diesels fetch extremely good money.The previous mail sums its up, but a fool and his money are easily parted in the motor trade.One more point 30mpg maybe downhill with a tailwind.