FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - Rattle

Had my new Panda since Monday. Done about 40 miles in it now and getting used to it.

i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/amazingtrade/1005...g

It is lovely to drive, everything works and I cannot believe how much space there is considering its tiny size. As for power it is actually very nippy but to make good progress you have to rev it a lot in 2nd gear and all the power kicks in.

I thought I would mention that under the bonnet is very impressive. The clutch and brake fluid are in seperate containers, the header tank is connected directly to the radiator and everything looks accessible. All the welding joints have lots of greese on them.

The heating/blowers are better than any other car I have owned by a mile and the steering is just lovely. A lot of people moan about the ride but it is better than the MK4 Fiesta and the 99 Corsa B I used to have.

Driving wise I love the high up driving position and all the switch gear feels very well made. The doors shut with a nice clunk

The brakes still need bedding a bit but hopefully they will get sharper with use.

The seats are very comfortable and offer a lot of support.

There is no squeeks or rattles from the car yet and everything works as it should.

Edited by Rattle on 12/05/2010 at 18:13

FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - Avant

Good to know you're happy so far, Rattle: Pandas seem to get a generall;y good press (possibly as they are built in Poland, with apparently better quality control than in Turin).

I've traditionally been a fan of getting the bigger engine when there's a choice, but if most of your driving is in town (I think yours is visiting clients in urban Manchester, isn't it?) the smaller engine could be ideal: quick and nippy off the mark even if less suited to long motorway runs.

That said, take it for a good long run at the weekend to help the running-in process. Pop up to what I still call Westmorland and see how it goes on the B-roads. (It's also beautiful up there - if that sounds too far, there's also lovely and undervalued countryside round Clitheroe.)

Good luck with the Panda and keep us posted!

FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - nick1975

looks great in the blue! great choice, nice car. enjoy!

FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - quizman

Glad you have a new car. You won't have anything to worry about now!

What is the reg of your car?!!

FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - primeradriver

"everything works"

Well it is a brand new car -- I'm sure even the Italians can manage that one!

Its never been near an Italian. It was built in a country east of Germany and west of Russia called Poland :).

FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - seasiders rock

Enjoy, cracking little car.

I have had the 100 hp since August 07, nothing has broken, fallen off, faultless.

Routine servicing and tyres, thats it.

If your in town probably the best small car available.

Tardis springs to mind, i have done London to Blackpool with 4 reasonable size adults with no complaints.

Changing it next month for yep another new Fiat, Punto Evo.

FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - primeradriver

Its never been near an Italian. It was built in a country east of Germany and west of Russia called Poland :).

A Polski Fiat.

I am finding I can park it in gaps I haven't dared to do since driving lessons.

It is not a Polski FIAT, that factory belonged to FSO and I think ended up in the hands of GM/Daweoo/Chevy.

So far I am really enoying it though, it could do with a rear anti roll bar but other than that it is a really good fun car to drive. Still need to buy the mats and locking cap.

FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - Dutchie

Nice car Rattle,daughter has a fiat panda the eco model .Nicely build i drive it when she asked me to put petrol in :) Enjoy your new car .

FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - oilrag

I like the colour you chose, Rattle. `Slower than a cockroach` has now done just over 1,000 miles.

Only attention has been to grease the sump and change oil and filter (Mobil 1)

Hope you`re enjoying it!

regards

It`still cable, HJ. One of the things I checked out prior to purchase.

I've noticed several machanical simplicities under the bonnet. There appears to be hardly any hoses, the header tank seems to be directly connected to the radiator.

The clutch is hydraulic but has a seperate fluid container so it is easy to spot where a leak might be.

The rear suspension seems to be very simple, all I can see is a bar, two springs and shock absorbers. None of the silly anti roll bars you get in modern cars.

On mine the gearchange is a bit stereo typical FIAT being a bit notchy and you can hear the gear being changed (e.g a slight clunk) like a lot of French cars do. Apparantly this fades as the miles come on.

The indicator relay was originaly too quiet but seems to have got a little noiser now.

The electrics of course are CANBUS which means less go to wrong but its harder to find the fault if it does, all modern cars use this system though.

The car is only 54bhp and you do need to be creative with the throttle and gear changes but as longs as you don't mind changing a lot its very nippy easily managing to climb from 0 to 30 up a steep hill in just a few seconds but extra power would be welcomed.

The ride quality is simply suburb for a car of this size, it deals with the pot holes perfectly. The trade off is it does roll a bit round corners.

The steering is fantastic and feels a lot more connected than say a Clio MK3. It also feels a bit quicker than the 1.2 16v Clio MK3 I passed in but then it probably weighs half as much!

I am 6ft and I can get in and out of the Panda with ease, you need to get used to having your left foot placed behind the dashboard (where the clutch rest is) on longer journeys but is very comfortable. It isn't a figity car and the seats offer a lot of support so apart from the lack of power it should be a very good long distance machine too.

I am slightly nervous that all the FIAT dealers in the Manchester area are chains and all have a bad reputation but I hope I don't need to use them often!
FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - Avant

"I've noticed several mechanical simplicities under the bonnet."

A thoroughly good thing if they really are an attempt by Fiat to get back to basics and produce a car that's cheap and easy to service and repair.

I get the impression that there are people crying out for simple cars that just get you from A to B and are cheap to run. HJ - if you see this, perhaps you may like to say whether you get requests like this very often.

I had our up to 80 on the M62. Smooth engine - as is the gearbox at 1,000 miles

And with the Panda now down to £5995 retail it is impossible to see how the Tata can compete. In fact it seems the sales of the C1/Aygo etc have stopped. In 2005 both cars were on sale and the C1 etc sold a lot more than the Panda but I have recently seen a lot more newer Pandas than C1s. It seems the C1s high retail price is putting off punters despite its exellent engine. The base model dosn't even have electric windows or central locking which is scary in 2010.

My gearchange is very smooth, the feel is just a bit nothcy but I hope that will get better as the miles come on.

The Hyundai i10 is probably the strongest Panda competitor now although as the Skoda Fabia is heavily discounted online that must come close.

FIAT Panda - Fiat Panda 1.1 Review - "faster than a cockroach" - Leif

A nice clear summary. The fuel consumption on these beasts is very impressive.