Good roads to, from and around the Lake District - JDWill722

Me and a few mates are heading from Cornwall to the Lake District for a few days, via Snowdonia in the not to distant future. Can anybody recommend some nice roads to travel to maximise the pleasure and enjoyment of the trip?

Good roads to, from and around the Lake District - Festina Lente

The twisty road from Ambleside up little Langdale via Hard Knott and Wrynose passes to Ravenglass is one. Slow. very steep and very twisty, with a mini steam train from Dalegarth down to Ravenglass if you want a change of transport.

Penrith to Alston (A686) over Hartside attracts hundreds of bikers - there's a greasy spoon at the top - and there are lots of warning notices as the Cumbria Constabulary are weary of peeling bits of biker off the scenery. It's a bit like slalom, but uphill as well as down.

Otherwise, keep away from the main roads - there are some little gems along some of the country lanes.

Good roads to, from and around the Lake District - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I endorse the Hard Knott and Wrynose passes. A real adventure and the most challenging roads I've driven on. I'd recommend a shortish and narrow car with good brakes rather than a bike. You will find out why. I honestly would not take any bike over unless it was a light trail type. Seen other bikes going over but rather them than me.

The Ravenglass and Eskdale railway is a lovely ride.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 18/05/2010 at 14:27

Good roads to, from and around the Lake District - Cris_on_the_gas

Hard Knott is OK if not challenging on a bike. We went up there 3-4 years ago as a club, I followed a guy on a BMW RT with Pillion and he got round OK. He is a good rider although, I never had any problems on a Honda CB600

Top oil prices - Top prices of oil

There are many reasons for oil high prices. <a href="http://crude-oil-prices.net/prices
/">oil price</a>

Top oil prices - BlakeAnderson

I agree...

Good roads to, from and around the Lake District - James Brown

There are many things but main are you can clean your car before and during your trip and another oneis: Have your document with you.

Good roads to, from and around the Lake District - jeffreyburkholderRoom

good information

Good roads to, from and around the Lake District - BlakeAnderson

The twisty road from Ambleside up little Langdale via Hard Knott and Wrynose passes to Ravenglass is one. Slow. very steep and very twisty, with a mini steam train from Dalegarth down to Ravenglass if you want a change of transport.

Good roads to, from and around the Lake District - MD99

Ambleside to Grassmere good open road in places on way to Keswick biker cafe The Filling Station Crosthwaite Rd, Keswick CA12 5PR.

Circular route south on A595. Have a trip on foot ferry to Piel Island and pub.

Piel Island lies half a mile off the southern tip of the Furness Peninsula in the administrative county of Cumbria, though historically within Lancashire north of the sands. It is located at 54°3′50″N 3°10′30″W. It is one of the Islands of Furness. It is the location of the English Heritage-owned Piel Castle. Wikipedia

lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipMsklvyxKj4oQnOq0...M" target="_blank">

Good roads to, from and around the Lake District - Engineer Andy

4-10 years too late.