Vauxhall Astra/Meriva pricing? - CharlieF

Has anyone seen a New Astra on the road yet. In the busy South East I think I have only seen one. Not surprised when as I am looking for a new midsized auto I checked the prices on the Vauxhall Web site.

The only two auto options are strangely the basic 1.6ltr which is underpowered and has poor fuel consumption and the most powerfull diesel engine which lists at a staggering 22K plus depending on the version. Then last week I looked at the new Meriva hoping to find something in my budget, but again for the single auto diesel option a list price of over £20k

My local vauxhall dealer which has had discouunts of over £3000 on the windscreens on base Astras (an all new model only on the market for 4 months!) admitted that the general public did not really buy Astras new. I can quite see why!

Then yesterday I picked up via this web site that top of the range Astra diesel autos are on offer at over £6k discount via web brokers! I am now totally confused - What on earth is going on at Vauxhall?

Vauxhall Astra/Meriva pricing? - Talking Hoarse

I have to agree with you CharlieF! I have been looking recently and was tempted by an Astra auto (particularly with the ergonomic seats) but I found that the 1.6 is slovenly, the 2.0 CDTi is eye wateringly expensive. Sadly the 1.4 turbo is not available yet.

So I have just ordered an i30 diesel auto via a broker.

Vauxhall Astra/Meriva pricing? - mrnikko

I have been running a new Astra for three weeks now and have clocked up nearly 2000 miles in the car.I am not much of a vauxhall fan but I chose the car over the Focus as it was new and a bit different to the awful old Astras that I had recently had.I have a 1.7Dti exclusuive with metallic paint BIK at nearly £19,000 yet our Vaxhhall dealer in Carlisle had the same cars at £4000 off list even before i got my new one.However I belive looking at the car market every manufacturer is offering big discounts on list up on Kingstown Estate in Carlisle all brands are vying for business on their stock even the so called premium German brands and if you go for the french brands they are offering some attractive discounts at present.

However just to add, look at the new Astra it is much better than the old one but as I changed my job my it really that my old company car the Skoda Superd is still cheaper than the Astra and I know which I prefer.

Vauxhall Astra/Meriva pricing? - Xantiaman

Not in the market for a new car at the moment.

I walk past a new Astra everytime I go to work and think it's a really nice looking car, good reviews too.

I'm another person who has never been a Vauxhall fan, but the Astra and Insignia has changed my opinion of the company for the better.

Vauxhall Astra/Meriva pricing? - MikeTorque

Just wondering, does it have to be an automatic ?

I've driven several variants of the new Astra but not an automatic. It is a superb car to live with day to day and a joy to drive, quality build throughout, more refined that a Focus and at least the quality of a Golf. The 1.4 VVT's and 1.6 VVT versions are a bit under powered for the weight of the car but they are refined and deliver fairly good fuel economy. The 1.4T and 1.6T are both refined and flexible engines and pull the car along easily. The 1.7 CDTi (2 states of tune) and 2.0 CDTi versions both pull well with good fuel economy, the 1.3 CDTi is even more frugal, the diesel engines and all slightly more vocal than the petrol engines.

Focus drivers, if you want a car without road noise then choose an Astra with 16" wheels, you'll get a superbly comfortable ride with road noise silenced, it really is that good.

Would I buy an Astra, Focus or Golf ? Answer = Astra.

Edited by MikeTorque on 15/05/2010 at 00:56