Passat electric windows - studebaker
On my N reg Passat the driver's window now refuses to work. It's not the switch as I've changed that. From the double switch the passenger window doesn't open either but it will from its own switch. The 'windows up when you hold the key in the lock' routine also fails to work on the driver's window (but does close everything else including the sunroof). I'm pretty sure its not the motor that's gone any other ideas?
Passat electric windows - Ian (Cape Town)
jammed, perhaps?
Take the door panel off, get a multimeter, and see if there is power coming in.
If "yes" then is there a way of winding the window up/down manually (my old BMW had an allen-key port).
try turning this once or twice, and clean off the runners/seals with some spray-oli, then lube with glycerine.
Passat electric windows - IanT
Let's make the great assumption that the Passat's electric windows are wired like a Peugeot 306's:

1. There is a 12v supply to the LH single switch.
2. There is a 12v supply to the RH double switch (which comes from the same fuse)
3. There is a wire from the RH double switch to the LH single switch which passes 12v to the LH single switch when the left hand part of the double switch is pressed, and activates the left hand window.

If the 12v supply to the RH double switch fails due to a break in the cable or a bad connection, then the RH window will not work and there will be no 12v to pass through to the LH window. But the LH single switch will work from its own supply.

This break / bad connection could be anywhere so you will need to use the multimeter. In my case, there was a break in the 12v supply in the bendy bunch of cables between the A-pillar and the door. Opening and closing the door too many times had eventually stretched / worn / caught the bundle of cables.

Mine was fixed by soldering a new piece of cable across the break, though I don't think this is a recommended solution.

Passat electric windows - OldGolfer
My wife's 1995 M-reg Polo had a similar problem recently - broken wire in the bunch between the A-pillar and door.

HTH

Regards
Paul