Toyota Corolla and Verso diesel; nissan almera - corolla diesel 2.0 D-4D vs. almera diesel 2.2dci - eustace

I am looking to buy a used diesel car under £5K.

I am currently considering either the Corolla hatchback 2.0 D-4D or the
Nissan Almera 2.2 Dci.
The main consideration with the car would be reliability. Please could you
provide your opinions on which car could be more reliable? Also does
anyone know whether either of these cars have a Dual Mass Flywheel?

I know that the almera has a cam chain while the corolla has a cam belt.I don't mind having to change a cam belt if in all other respects the Corolla would be more reliable.

I have not been able to find much reviews about any major faults on the corolla, while there are a couple of reviews about blown turbos on the almera on HJ reviews.

According to reliability index, the Toyota Corolla (97-04) has a rate of failure of 2.38% while the Nissan Almera Tino (00-05) has a failure rate of 13.27 %. These figures would be across the petrol and diesel models.

Would anyone have any further thoughts on this

Toyota Corolla and Verso diesel; nissan almera - corolla diesel 2.0 D-4D vs. almera diesel 2.2dci - Avant

Does your annual mileage justify a diesel? In the old days diesels used to be ideal for long life, but modern ones have too many complexities and are liable to major failures.

That said, Toyota and Nissan are more reliable than most - but consider a petrol as an alternative.

Toyota Corolla and Verso diesel; nissan almera - corolla diesel 2.0 D-4D vs. almera diesel 2.2dci - eustace

Thanks for your feedback, Avant. The mileage is a question I am wrestling with. My office is a 35 mile commute away, so a round trip of 70 miles.

However I need to visit the office around 3 days a week, as I have the flexibility of working from home. For this reason a train season ticket is also not economical and day tickets are expensive.

However if i find that these cars also have endemic problems or that they have DMFs, I intend to go for a petrol model. The other option I am thinking of is also the Hyundai Elantra diesel.

Toyota Corolla and Verso diesel; nissan almera - corolla diesel 2.0 D-4D vs. almera diesel 2.2dci - swift88

I owned an Almera 2.2 Dci for 18months.. It comes in two specifications, 112bhp and 136bhp. My car had the 136bhp engine. Mine was well cared for and serviced on the dot, but unfortunately was a complete let down in the reliability department.

I can confirm that the 136bhp version is fitted with a Dual Mass Flywheel. Mine was replaced at around 60,000miles at a cost of £1300. Luckily it was covered under an independent warranty. Its reliability woes also included a replacement turbocharger and intercooler after it developed a loud whistling noise (over £1000), a new brake vacuum pump (another £1000), and I was forced to trade the car in after the timing chain started to rattle over 3000rpm. The warranty company had a claim limit over the length of the policy of £5000 and I feared the next repair bill wouldn't be paid out for.

If reliability is your main concern, I would avoid this engine at all costs!

Thanks swift88 for your response. I am beginning to think that I will play it safe and go for a corolla petrol. The potential problems with the diesels doesn't seem to be worth the hassle. Incidentally does your screen name indicate that you have a suzuli swift?

Toyota Corolla and Verso diesel; nissan almera - corolla diesel 2.0 D-4D vs. almera diesel 2.2dci - swift88

Your welcome rohann.

Yes, I traded my Almera in for a Suzuki Swift in August 2008. I've been very pleased with the Swift, it seems to return similar mpg figures and costs far less to run overall. Its also far more fun to drive too.

It will be a while before I consider buying another car fitted with a modern diesel engine.

I did drive a swift when I was in India and I quite liked the car. However, I have a child now who will sometimes be sitting in the back seat. Hence I thought I should go for a bigger car with a larger boot, which would provide more safety in case of a rear end collission.

I know that this is just relative. But this is the reason I am thinking of a Corolla as a petrol car now.

Toyota Corolla and Verso diesel; nissan almera - corolla diesel 2.0 D-4D vs. almera diesel 2.2dci - john96

Is the VAG 1.9 engine not classed as reliable? should pick up a few octavias, passats or superbs at that price. This engine does not have a DPF either!

Toyota Corolla and Verso diesel; nissan almera - corolla diesel 2.0 D-4D vs. almera diesel 2.2dci - primeradriver

Following on from what has been said, the Nissan 2.2dCi fitted to the Almera, like all the mid-2000s Renault-Nissan dCi engines is fundamentally flawed. I would not have one of these engines given to me.

Would tend to agree that if you *must* have a diesel, make it a VAG 1.9 PD. These are fitted variously into Mitsubishis, Seats, VWs and Skodas, one of which may be what you're after.

The Elantra's CRTD engine is, I believe a fairly old-school lump and I have not heard of any significant issues with it. But I'd say it's relatively unproven, and I'd not be 100% sure it's free from faults; the Elantra itself is a very solid car but most of them sold in the US and Aus where petrols dominate.

@primeradriver:

In the other posts where we were exchanging comments, you mentioned that "The great unsung diesel engines of the moment seem to be the Korean ones." But from the above comment i take it that you believe that a VAG 1.9 PD engine would be more reliable.

Could you advice on how I could identify a Skoda Octavia model that doesn't have DMF?The link below:http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/160805-dual-mass-flywheels-dmf/

indicates that potentially only some Mark 1 Octavias do not have DMF. It also states that :

MK I Octavia:
- PD130 TDI models
- Some other TDI models.

the above models have DMF.

Based on the above, I'm not sure how I can identify a Mark 1 octavia model that wont have DMF. Please could you advice?

Toyota Corolla and Verso diesel; nissan almera - corolla diesel 2.0 D-4D vs. almera diesel 2.2dci - john96
There a few threads there (briskoda) mentioning replacement of the DMF with a solid one, but seem to have mixed results about how the replacement solid flywheel performed.

But any idea how to identify models of the Octavia that have SMF as OEM.

Rohann,

not trying to be funny about it, but why dont you start a thread there asking that question?

I reckon someone will know.

Toyota Corolla and Verso diesel; nissan almera - corolla diesel 2.0 D-4D vs. almera diesel 2.2dci - primeradriver

Well, I'm pretty sure that the Elantra/Cerato does not have a DMF. And I have not heard of inherent turbo, EGR or injector problems. They don't have DPF either.

That said, they are still CR diesels and as such, given that the Hyundai lump hasn't sold enough that have gone to really high mileages, I'd say that the 1.9PD is probably a safer bet. I'd still not be too worried about the Hyundai engine though.