Caravan towing speed record - Ian (Cape Town)
From the local paper:
On Saturday (November 1 2002), an almost stock standard diesel car and caravan broke the existing world diesel towing speed record.
The combination (a BMW 330d - Jurgens Fleetline) broke through the 100 mph barrier for the first time, beating the existing record (99.3 mph or 160.8 km/h) by over 5 km/h, setting the new record at 166 km/h.
The event, held at Mafikeng International Airport, also saw two South African records broken - the diesel towing record (also the world record) and the petrol towing record.
The petrol record was set using the same caravan as the diesel attempt but this time being towed by a Mercedes Benz ML500, the powerful V8 4x4 setting the record at a breakneck 174 km/h.
This record is also under investigation as a world normally-aspirated production car towing record. Details of this will be confirmed shortly.
So what\'s the world record for towing a shed?
And, if they can go that fast, why do the old f**** always tootle along at 60 km/h?

Caravan towing speed record - GJD
And, if they can go that fast, why do the old
farts always tootle along at 60 km/h?

Lack of confidence / ability / appropriate tow vehicle?

Don't you have to do extra training before you can tow a caravan now (in the UK). Anyone know what it actually involves, or have I got that wrong?
Caravan towing speed record - Dave_TD
As long as the combined weight of vehicle and trailer does not exceed 3500kg, no you don't!!!
Caravan towing speed record - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Jenses FF wasn't a diesel, was it?
Caravan towing speed record - Harmattan
Allegedly a Dodge Viper has taken one up to 167.5 mph (269.5 kph) so your guys must try harder. A bit of research suggests the record I saw set by John Dodd's Merlin-engined special RR was lower than I remember at 'just' 107.5 mph (173 kph) with a CI Sprite at Silverstone in 1974. He had to complete each way runs and I think rain halted play from memory. To answer the last question, I think you must contact Toad who is setting up a production line for Merlin engines based on his spares collection and could presumably produce a desirable range of special caravan tugs to speed the things on their way to oblivion (the caravans not their ancient conductors).