VW Transporter 2.5TDI PD Tiptronic - Secondhand buying advice - nick62

Can anyone give me advice / tips on what to look for when buying the above vehicle please?

Are there any good resason not to go for the Tiptronic box for instance and is this engine configuration reliable?

VW Transporter 2.5TDI PD Tiptronic - Secondhand buying advice - Rumfitt
It's built to van standards (high miles over a short period), so watch out for rust. Check the quality of the paint too, as some will have had resprays to vulnerable areas.

The tiptronic 'box has been troublesome and robs the economy, so listen for any noises and check the operation carefully.

Many used examples have done mega miles and still hold their price - they may look tidy but things will be wearing out and will need replacing.

They are fabulous workhorses though, and surprisingly good to drive - very versatile, and when you sell they'll always find an eager buyer.

There's a great forum at www.vwt4forum.co.uk/ which covers older and more recent variants.
VW Transporter 2.5TDI PD Tiptronic - Secondhand buying advice - Berisford

Crikey, what a reply!

It’s s***e, it’s good........

I've had a Tiptronic 2.5 since they were first introduced in 2004, it's never been any trouble and I know of several others that have never been any trouble too. Yes there are some doom and gloom cases but when you look into 'em you'll find they have starship miles on 'em. It's a all too natural reaction for many drivers to dismiss auto's as troublesome.

Mine goes up and down the 6 speed box like velvet and has always done so, any lumps or bumps will. as with any gearbox, manual or auto, mean trouble so avoid.

Economy? Well it's a big vehicle, with or without the auto box, a heavy foot will mean mid 20's though a 250 mile, full load, mixed road run to the Cotswolds last week saw over 40 on my trip computer.

As for rust, I've yet to see a T5 with rust showing, I can only assume Runfitt is mixing the T5 with Vitos.

Known faults are, water pumps, turbo's, DMF's (not fitted on auto's), steering 'clunk' and elctrical convenience boxes under the drivers seat.

A good site to have a look around is;

www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/t5-section_forums_cat12...l

VW Transporter 2.5TDI PD Tiptronic - Secondhand buying advice - Berisford

Bit strange that formatting, try this;

Crikey, what a reply!

It’s s***e, it’s good........

I've had a Tiptronic 2.5 since they were first introduced in 2004, it's never been any trouble and I know of several others that have never been any trouble too. Yes there are some doom and gloom cases but when you look into 'em you'll find they have starship miles on 'em. It's a all too natural reaction for many drivers to dismiss auto's as troublesome.

Mine goes up and down the 6 speed box like velvet and has always done so, any lumps or bumps will. as with any gearbox, manual or auto, mean trouble so avoid.

Economy? Well it's a big vehicle, with or without the auto box, a heavy foot will mean mid 20's though a 250 mile, full load, mixed road run to the Cotswolds last week saw over 40 on my trip computer.

As for rust, I've yet to see a T5 with rust showing, I can only assume Runfitt is mixing the T5 with Vitos.

Known faults are, water pumps, turbo's, DMF's (not fitted on auto's), steering 'clunk' and electrical convenience boxes under the drivers seat.

A good site to have a look around is;

www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/t5-section_forums_cat12...l

Edited by Berisford on 30/04/2010 at 12:24