Chrysler Voyager - car keeps breaking down with no prior warning when driving along - pigeons_mad123

Hi please can some one help me i am at breaking point
I have a chrysler grand voyager 2.5crd lx 2002 on a 51 reg, the car starts perfectly no trouble but when driving along without any warning just dies on me ????
This could be 10 miles from home to 100 miles away from home it just so unpredictable as it happens without any notice, i think this is extremely dangerous as if i was on the motor way my car just stops dead without any notice
I tried a new fuel filter but the same kept happening i had it towed to a garage where they put the machine on a diagnostic machine - everything came back fine?? Although the mechanic could hear the tank kicking in he said that the fuel pressure was low- later found out this was due to a crack in the fuel filter housing and leaking, got this changed with a brand new hosuing unit but still no joy
We have had a new fuel pump (the one underneath the car next to the tank) fitted drove perfect for a day seemed to have more power then 10 minutes from home the following day the same happened again :(
my husband says when it breaks down it always seems as if the car is out of fuel (diesel) although we never let the car get below a quarter of a tank.

When the car breaks down it gives u no warning what so ever and can take from 10mins to an hour to get the car started again
Please help with any suggestions cos i really am at breaking point
many thanks

Chrysler Voyager - car keeps breaking down with no prior warning when driving along - Peter D

When it does start does it run perfectly straight away or does it run rough and then clear up. Please detail the restart. Regards Peter

Chrysler Voyager - car keeps breaking down with no prior warning when driving along - petewithchrysler

Hi,

I have a Chrysler Grand Voyage 2.5 CRD LX 02 plated.

I have a similar problem which is I am still monitoring.

The symptoms are as follows:-

Starting the engine from cold the engine starts ok. I move off and within 5 minutes of driving, without warning the engine cuts out.

As this happens the Engine Light comes on and stays on. I restarted the engine after about 30 seconds and the Engine Light comes back on and stays on, although the vehicle is drivable with this condition.

I have taken the vehicle to my local garage, where they connect a diagnostic box to get an error code, but unfortunately it gives a “No Fault Found” result – so we are none the wiser although the engine light alarm is cleared with the diagnostic box attached. The vehicle ran ok for about a week and the problem repeated itself again. And again, a “No Fault Found” resulted from the diagnostics box.

The only pattern to emerge so far is that the engine is still warming up as this happens shortly after starting up.

The annoying thing about of this condition is of course that it cost £35 a time to have the diagnostic carried out to give a “No Fault Found” result, when a fault does exist. Therefore something is contradicting itself as far as diagnostics is concerned.

Why don’t modern cars carry their own diagnostics on board with a small display on the dashboard?

This would probably consist of a couple of chips, some software and the display itself – but I suppose that’s too easy.

If someone can shed some light on this condition it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by WellKnownSid on 20/08/2010 at 15:49

Chrysler Voyager - car keeps breaking down with no prior warning when driving along - Gordon Gee

hi i have just started experiencing the same symptoms with my grand voyager too.did you manage to sort the problem out? and if so what was it.this is a pain.so greatfull. many thanks.

Chrysler Voyager - car keeps breaking down with no prior warning when driving along - PETER 4768

Almost definitely a faulty fuel injector

regards peter

national engine centre

Chrysler Voyager - car keeps breaking down with no prior warning when driving along - Peter.N.

could it possibly be the 'old fashioned' fault of the fuel tank breather being blocked. Next time it stops undo the filler cap and see if it goes 'whoosh'

Chrysler Voyager - car keeps breaking down with no prior warning when driving along - phatboyroy

see my report HJ back room > tech matters > select voyager dated 13 Aug 2011

it may be that, IT'S LIKELY TO BE THAT.

best of luck

Let me know by posting a reply

I also urge you to report your problems to VOSA, (as i have done) and to email andrew.nicholls@gmail.com

see his report on my thread at Fri 12 Aug 2011

Chrysler Voyager - car keeps breaking down with no prior warning when driving along - Jakz

Hi, Did you manage to get the problem fixed? if so what was it and where did you get it fixed?

im having the exact same problem and now have taken to 3 different garages and they can/t find a fault.

Chrysler Voyager - car keeps breaking down with no prior warning when driving along - hardway

My suspect would be the Crank Angle Sensor.

It going open circuit from say heat will kill any signal that the engine is actually turning over.

No fault codes are generated by this as as far as the ECU is concerned it's not trying to run.

And when the CAS fails it's as if the key has been turned off,

No spluttering or engine symptoms.

The CAS MUST generate a clean readable signal to the ECU,

No signal means amongst other thing no injection pulse signal so no fuel injected into the engine.

And many times no rpm reading on the tacho so chek that for rpm on crank next time it does this.

No rpm on the tach and its a good bet the CAS has gone open circcuit.