Best Big Estate - veryoldbear

For various reasons I need a big estate car, with space, economy and reasonable performance. I'm presently running my third SAAB 95 but what else really fits the bill for load swallowing and comfort .... ?

Best Big Estate - Sam49

I've heard good things about the new Skoda Superb Estate. But there seems to be a whole load of attractive looking, large estates now - Toyota Avensis, Mazda 6, Citroen C5, Mondeo, Volvo V70, Subaru Legacy...

But if it was me, I'd go for a Volvo 240 GLT - classic!

Best Big Estate - RaineMan

If reliability is important then, sadly, it is probably better to go for a Japanese make – Suburu best. Personally I would go for the Suburu if I had the money! I would put the Volvo 240 GLT in third place; the 1957 Chevy Nomad was the ultimate estate and the Mercedes 280TE second

Best Big Estate - Avant

It depends on your budget. If you can afford to buy new, the Skoda Superb Combi is the best value by a comfortable margin given the space and performance it offers. But they're new on the market (price for the SE version in in the early £20k's) and if your budget is lower than that, I'd suggest the Mondeo or Volvo V70 of whatever vintage you can afford.

The Mazda 6 is well reviewed, but there have been horror stories of diesel engine failure just after the warranty expires. A petrol one would be fine, albeit less roomy than the others mentioned above.

Let us know how you get on.

Best Big Estate - Andy P

Diesel 5-series Touring?

Best Big Estate - daveyjp

I'm currently running an X type estate 2.2d auto. All the toys, very comfortable and plenty of load carrying capability.

Excellent value too.

Best Big Estate - Alby Back

I have to recommend a Mondeo estate of any vintage. Simply the best when it comes down to it. Cavernous, good to drive, very reliable, comfort and handling way beyond it's category, cheap to maintain and insure. Nigh on perfect in fact.

Best Big Estate - Bilboman

Seat Exeo estate is quite a bit cheaper and, like the Superb, has that mysterious "Wow, never seen one of those before" angle of pseudo-exclusivity - even if that translates into nothing more exciting in the day to day running than finding it first time in the supermarket car park! Some people, of course, would simply look down their noses at it in the golf club car park...

Best Big Estate - idle_chatterer

Seat Exeo estate is quite a bit cheaper

But basically it's a warmed-over 9 year old Audi B6/B7 so pretty old tech now and (having run a B7 Avant) they're not in any way what you could describe as a big estate, in fact cramped is a term I'd use for rear sear passengers and the boot.

Personally the Mondeo III or IV (depending on budget) and the new Superb estate would be at the top of my list. I now drive a BMW E91 and whilst I love it the boot is smaller than my B8 A4 (so the Exeo) although rear legroom is better.

Best Big Estate - Collos25

x types fetch less than a similar mondeo the reason they took everytrhing that was rubbish from the mondeo and put it on a bodged up affair and called it a Jaguar and then wondered why it did not sell.Look on the various x type forums before you through your money away.

Best Big Estate - concrete

Just collected my Skoda Superb from a dealer service. Looked at and then drove the new Superb Estate. Wow! My Superb is superb but the new one is every bit as good. Shout in the back and there is an echo! No reliability problems with mine at 96K in 3 years and I would expect the new one to be good too. Check it out, I am sure you can cut a deal and I have found the dealers to be mainly family run businesses with a good attitude and service culture. Best of luck. Concrete

Best Big Estate - veryoldbear

Thanks Guys, the Skoda sounds Superb, but being retired I may have to wait a while until good used ones come on the market. In the meantime I think I'll run the SAAB 95 2.2TID until it drops (which might be a long time) or think about a V70 for good furniture carrying abilities

Best Big Estate - hbosken

Boot liner from my Saab 95 fitted my Avensis Tourer without any modification.

At least the Avensis doesn't sound like a tractor!

Best Big Estate - lordwoody

Having scr apped my Saab 9-5 (T reg with engine problems) for a new Polo I started looking around for a cheap replacement for the Saab and found, on the boards in my local Tesco, an immaculate Volvo 940 2.3 estate, whose sadly now deceased owner had looked after it for 11 years (it's a '95 M reg) with minute attention to detail, logging every single item spent in a notebook. It looks more like a 3 or 4 year old car and despite not being the fastest thing on the road I have now become very attached. Volvo fanatics will say that the 9 series was the last true Volvo, solidly built, reliable and RWD. I'd recommend it thoroughly. I paid £750 for mine ( a bit over priced but worth it for the condition), quite a few around still in good condition.

Edited by lordwoody on 29/04/2010 at 17:33

Best Big Estate - Avant

I wouldn't say that was overpriced: keep it smart for another 5 years and you'll have a 20-year-old RWD Volvo which will be on the point of becoming a classic. Could be a minor investment, quite apart from the practical use you're presumably going to put it to.

With a new Polo to rely on if it does go wrong, you're well set up.