Ford S-MAX - S-Max reliability and the alternatives - awbp

A few months ago I posted a question here about the best family estate car for £18,000. With our 101,000 mile 307 needing a £1000 service, we are thinking seriously again about changing car and finally getting enough space for our young daughter and all the associated paraphernalia.

As we now need a bigger house, we've unfortunately had to reduce our budget to £13,000. We drove a few options yesterday, and think a 3 year old S-Max 2.0 TDCi may be perfect. It rode and handled like a big Golf GTI, and while not quite a replacement for my much missed MX-5, it was more fun than the 308 SW and (out of budget) 5008 we tried.

Reading through other previous postings however, I'm a bit worried about reliability. Is it really that awful? I've driven Peugeots for 18 years, and apart from the odd niggle they've always been fine. Is this another case of the reputation being worse than the reality?

If the S-Max isn't the answer, is the reliability of any of the obvious alternatives (Grand Scenic, Mazda5, Touran etc) that much better? We also test drove a Mondeo Estate yesterday, but I guess the same reliability issues would apply.

Ford S-MAX - S-Max reliability and the alternatives - craig-pd130

The early S-Max models weren't fitted with DPFs, however I am not sure exactly when they started to fit them.

It's only a sample of 1, but my Mondeo IV 2.0 TDCI estate has had precisely one brake light bulb failure in over 2 years and 24K miles (cost of repair = £1.50). No DPF issues, and an average of 42.5 genuine mpg in that time. I'm very pleased with it, for a company car.

However I think I will be looking at an S-Max to replace it next year, the 7-seats-as-standard flexibility would be handy with all the dad's taxi runs I'm doing these days ...

Ford S-MAX - S-Max reliability and the alternatives - Avant

As I've often said, some cars are more vulnerable to abuse than others, French cars in particular. But if properly looked after and driven, they can give good service. I had seven reliable Renaults in succession, three of which did over 100,000 miles each. I'm sure that applies to your Peugeots.

An S-Max will do you fine if you can get one that's got a full service history (easily proved) and been considerately driven (more difficult to prove but you have to make sure you're allowed a good long test drive). Generally an average mileage is a better bet than very high or very low.

I'm inclined to agree. I've made sure my Peugeots have been regularly serviced and that any niggles have been quickly addressed, and they've been fine. There has been the odd 'anti-pollution fault', but nothing to stop me getting home. The only reason we're changing the 307 now is the need for something bigger; the expensive upcoming service is just a contributing factor once the calculator comes out.

Good to hear the Mondeo has been reliable Craig; I guess the fact you're now considering an S-Max is a positive sign!

Ford S-MAX - S-Max reliability and the alternatives - turbo11

I would suggest you test drive a Mazda 5 2.0 Sport (petrol). I purchased mine new last year. Ultra reliable- 16000 trouble free miles so far.Averaging 36 mpg on rural roads.Plenty of power. Being petrol, no DPF to worry about or tyre wear issues(early diesel sport model). Handles very well for an MPV. I purchased it to help accomodate our growing family. It suits us well. The only drawback I have found is that it was initially hopeless in the snow. Very little traction-impossible to get up our local ungritted hill until I took up HJ's reccomendation to use Autosocks-They are great.No problems. I think you could get a 58/09 reg for your money.

Ford S-MAX - S-Max reliability and the alternatives - turbo11

Also should add that the sliding rear doors are excellent,especially when getting little ones out of their child seats in parking bays.

Ford S-MAX - S-Max reliability and the alternatives - idle_chatterer

I've twice considered the S-Max and discounted it (as a company car), the first time was in late 2006 when I was replacing a Mondeo III which had been superbly reliable, however the 56 red'd low mileage Ford Demonstrator had several build quality problems and IIRC at this time the web was full of owners complaining of trim problems, electrical failures and engine management woes - particularly on the 1.8TDCi.

The car handles and rides brilliantly, better than any people carrier ought to.

I have a number of colleagues with them (07 reg and newer) and they all rate them very highly and consider them to be reliable too so perhaps the build quality problems are confined to earlier 06 and 56 cars ?

I'd consider the Mazda 5 although IIRC pre 07 models have problems with the rear suspension and a tendency to wear out tyres on the inner edge very quickly.

I guess you'd need to look to the Toyota Verso for the best reliability.

Ford S-MAX - S-Max reliability and the alternatives - Happy Blue!

I have just bought a one year old S-Max and am delighted with it. There are a couple of similar cars in our area (diesel with auto) and both drivers are similarly delighted with the car and the reliability.

Thanks for all the advice. We have looked at a Mazda 5, but both my wife and I thought it was too plasticy and too small inside. I agree a Verso will be reliable, but not sure I could bring myself to drive something that dull.

We actually test drove a 2006 E220 CDi Elegance estate last weekend; incredibly well made and 2 child seats in the boot, but it felt too slow and soft. The garage are looking for a 6 cylinder Avantgarde for me (which apparently has harder suspension), but I think it will be even more significantly out of budget.

At the moment the S-Max is still the front runner!

Ford S-MAX - S-Max reliability and the alternatives - cepi

We have a 2.0Tdci at work from new, done about 85K km, never had a problem, a joy to drive and be driven on it.