Vauxhall Omega 2.0 16V - Head Gasket or Cracked Head? - RaineMan

Having had a look around the dealers I decided to have a closer look at my Omega which may be suffering terminal problems. It started losing a small amount of water some weeks ago but I was unable to find the cause. Last week it became much worse and it was suggested to me it was not worth bothering as with no obvious leak there was an internal proble. Investigation showed water getting into No. 2 (from front). It is missing and if you run it with the plug out you get clouds of steam. I have beeen told that if it is the head it is not really viable (12 y.o. - value maybe £500) but may be worth looking at if it is the head gasket. Is there a way of diagnosing this as I want to avoid paying to have the head lifted just to scrap it.

(reinserted scrap)

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 19/04/2010 at 14:37

Vauxhall Omega 2.0 16V - Head Gasket or Cracked Head? - mickyh7

You'll have to take the head off to check the HG anyway ! Expect £300 ish for whole job at an independant Garage.Better the Devil you know ? If you sc*** it and buy another banger.Older 16/18/2.0 Vauxalls eat Head Gaskets anyway.

Good Luck.

Vauxhall Omega 2.0 16V - Head Gasket or Cracked Head? - 1litregolfeater

I'd try and fix it for the same reason as Micky.

I bought a Vauxhall recently, 2002, 40000 miles. The engine seems very lightweight, the alloy very poor.

I saw on another post "Lots of nice shiny new cars in the sc***yards soon", and it seems so true.

Quote was £650. Included in this was skimming the head (apparently this is usually neccessary) and new cambelt, etc. as it has been on the car for about five years. And if the head is cracked ££££!

Vauxhall Omega 2.0 16V - Head Gasket or Cracked Head? - mickyh7

Your being ripped off ! Ring around. Trust me .

Still getting some quotes so I can decide what to do. The head gaskets do seem a problem. I spoke to someone who brought an Astra (8 y.o.?). They spotted some "mayo" when they checked it over - dealer had to replace head gasket, skim head, replace cambelt, pulleys and water pump before delivery.