Nissan Almera S - Car Shudders and Rev Meter is bouncing - HonestDon

I have a 2001 Almera 1.5 and a couple of weeks ago my car started hesitating (shuddering, jerking) and a few days later the diagnostic light came on. I forked out £60 for the local garage to read the code, it took them 2 minutes and the code was P0300 (Multi Cyl Misfire).

The mechanic said I needed to change all my ignition coils to solve the problem. So i purchased four new coils, and got them changed. However the problem still persisted, infact it may have even gotten worse as now the shuddering still happens and moreover, today I noticed the rev meter bouncing up and down whilst the car is stationary and in neutral.

I'd appreciate any advice. I don't mind spending money, but am slightly annoyed with the mechanic as he made me spend money on the coils for no reason.

Nissan Almera S - Car Shudders and Rev Meter is bouncing - Peter D

This sounds as though it is the TDC/engine speed sensor. I am not familiar with Nissans so I can not tell you where is it mounted. A good diagnostic technition can trace the fault. Regards Peter

Nissan Almera S - Car Shudders and Rev Meter is bouncing - bathtub tom

This engine suffers from timing chain wear, particularly if they don't get frequent oil changes.

What's it's mileage and service record like?

The only way to check, is to remove the cam cover and see if the tensioner is protubing more than 10mm (IIRC).

Do a search on here and the internet. The Almera Owners Club forum will probably be a good place to start.

About a thousand quid at a main dealer, much less if you do it yourself.

I don't think it's anything to do with the timing chain, the mechanic said it was fine.

mileage is 90,000 and i think it had a timing belt change at 60k.

It's got a timing chain, not a belt!

It's literally a five minute job to lift the cam cover and check. Alternatively you can throw money and parts at it (like ignition coils) in a vain hope of curing it.

I know, those coils cost me a packet!! OK, i'll look into this. I might post a picture for guidance, I'm knew to these things but am not to worried about getting my hands dirty.

Nissan Almera S - Car Shudders and Rev Meter is bouncing - Peter D

A chain does not make the rev counter bounce around. Regards Peter

The cam and crank sensors get readings that are outside limits due to the chain wear.

I think you'll find the crank sensor's responsible for the rev counter. The electronics don't like what they see and cause various problems.

The rev counter 'bouncing' seems to be a common sympton of cam chain wear on these. There's plenty of cases on the interweb thingmy.

Edited by bathtub tom on 19/04/2010 at 21:36

Just spoke to the mechanic who saw the car previously and he doesnt think its a chain problem because the car doesnt shudder all the time. Just when my foot is off the gas or clutch and in gear.

Nissan Almera S - Car Shudders and Rev Meter is bouncing - buzf355

I've recently had this problem too. Had the rocker cover removed to check the tensioner of the timing chain. It was protruding more than the 10mm as suggested earlier in the thread. I had the timing chain replaced. Had no problems with the car for a couple of weeks, Now the car seems to shudder again occasionally around 1500-2500 rpm when my foot is on the accelerator. The engine management light hasn't come on yet. Took the car for a diagnostics again, and nothing shows up on the report. Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be? I'm possibly thinking ignition coil pack...

Nissan Almera S - Car Shudders and Rev Meter is bouncing - leemond
i have the same problem by sounds of it on here none of these solution work so im goin 2 try the fuel filter 1st as ive nothing wrong with my timing chain , any 1 tried that yet?
Nissan Almera S - Car Shudders and Rev Meter is bouncing - imy dee
I had the exact same issue, turned out to be a loose sensor connected to the air filter. Simply unplugged the sensor gave it a clean and plugged it back in, the EM light disappeared and now seems to work fine.
Hope it helps.
Nissan Almera S - Car Shudders and Rev Meter is bouncing - L44ADW
I had the exact same issue, turned out to be a loose sensor connected to the air filter. Simply unplugged the sensor gave it a clean and plugged it back in, the EM light disappeared and now seems to work fine. Hope it helps.

Any more info on this sensor?