Economical family car c£2k 3 proper back seats - madbint

Sorry to post such a blunt request for help, but I need to expand my knowledge about cars as I need to find a new car for my family.

I need it to be economical, smaller engines are better, diesel pref, I don't race about, I'm an annoying person who drives at about 60 on motorways as they are too hectic with a car full of children.

Talking of kids, I have 4, so I need to have 3 proper seats in the back with 3 proper diagonal seat belts. This is crucial. And the ability to switch off the airbag in the passenger seat (if there is one).

I do not want a big car, had enough of them, and there's only one adult so we don't need one. Most of the time it's only me and one young child.

I love being higher up on the road, and ugly cars don't bother me.

A tow bar would be helpful for the odd occasion we need storage. I don't want to drive a big car for the odd time we go on holiday.

I would love to find one about £2k but could go to £5k for the right car.

I have no preference for makes/models whatsoever, please suggest anything. I have owned and loved 3 nissans which I've found reliable and ok for repairs. I do not want something that runs up huge garage bills whenever something goes wrong!!!

Box on wheels - any suggestions?!? :D

Thanks in advance

Economical family car c£2k 3 proper back seats - zhangxiaoda

i do not know how about sizuki wagen in uk, but in china it can fit you.

becouse you can find the edition without passage airbag but with child seat.

Economical family car c£2k 3 proper back seats - Avant

I din;t know whether you'd call an MPV 'big' - but they aren't all that long, and they're more likely to have three proper seats in the back. Have a look at the Toyota Corolla Verso, Vauxhall Zafira or Citroen Picasso: there's also the Renault Scenic but they are particularly expensive to repair as they get older.

If you don't want an MPV, the previous shape Honda Civic has lots of room in the back woithout being in any way a big car.

Economical family car c£2k 3 proper back seats - steveb

SEAT Leon (mk1) 1.9tdi SX or SE (or 1.6 petrol) perhaps ?

Plenty of space inside, kit, reliability and performance - in the diesel version anyway.

The interior uses the dash from the old Audi A3 so is of good quality and hardwearing.

Climate control, elec windows all round, can disable the front airbag.

Mine does 464 miles on a full tank every time, and this is a mixture of town and motorway driving.

Has kept its looks through the years, hasn't dated, and the recent Focus models seem to have been designed next to it.

Thoroughly recommended.

Steve

Thanks for the messages. Ideally I want to get it under the 1.6 engine size, if that's possible with a diesel for the price I want (I know it is with newer cars as I've looked at the Nissan Note but I don't have the budget for that).

I really don't want or need another MPV, there are only 5 of us in the car and it's just extra cost to drive around and I hate having to park the things.

It's very hard to know what on earth to look for!!

Economical family car c£2k 3 proper back seats - Avant

If you don't want an MPV (although you can't have the high driving position you want if you don't), as well as the Civic and Leon suggested, check out the Nissan Almera. Unexciting but reliable and long-lasting. I don't know about the 3 seat belts, but no doubt you could get a third belt fitted if it isn't already.

Economical family car c£2k 3 proper back seats - Mapmaker

Fiat Multipla?

Economical family car c£2k 3 proper back seats - SteveLee

Ford Focus, can't really go wrong, thousands to choose from, good value secondhand, boringly reliable and fun to drive toboot.

Economical family car c£2k 3 proper back seats - DP

Agree on the Focus. Also, don't overlook the Astra. Not as well regarded as the Focus, so cheaper, but still a good, solid, reliable family car which costs buttons to service and repair.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I realise I'm probably going to have to let go of the "being up high" feeling. I don't want to be as low as I feel in my friend's Peugeot 406 though, that does feel extraordinarily low.

I'll check those suggestions out, thanks.