BMW 320d - DMF - Al Civic

Hi,

I have been thinking of buying an old BMW 3 series diesel but I have been getting put off the idea because I have been reading about Dual Mass Flywheel failures in diesels. Does anyone know do 3 series diesel suffer from this? Does any manufacturer of diesels not suffer from this? I understand that automatics do not have them but I would prefer a manual gearbox.

Any advice or info appreciated.

BMW 320d - DMF - DP

I don't know about the older ones, but the newer ones certainly aren't immune.

My brother in law has a 56 plate E90 320d M Sport 6 speed manual, which he bought from a BMW dealer (Approved Used) a year ago. A mint, one owner, 30,000 mile example, it seemed like a good buy. In practice, it's been one of the most unreliable cars he's ever owned, and the DMF needed replacing at 34,000 miles (along with the clutch and gearbox!). A new judder has surfaced again in the last few weeks, and the dealer suspects a second DMF failure. The car has not yet done 40,000 miles. He doesn't slip/ride the clutch, or partake in aggressive launches or gear changes, and his previous DMF equipped Golf mk4 TDI did 140,000 miles with no DMF or clutch issues. It is a vehicle/manufacturing fault, not his driving style.

The dealer has told him there's a software update for 2007 on models which performs some trickery with the revs on pull away and masks the judder (bodge, anyone?) but it doesn't apply to his car. It's going in again shortly for the new gearbox to come out, and the problem be investigated for a second time.

Apart from a near complete transmission replacement at just over 30k, and the problem resurfacing again less than 10k later, it also puts its ESP and hill start warnings on intermittently, and has suffered various electrical problems. It's also left them stranded once. He's lost all faith in it, and understandably has no interest in owning it outside of warranty.

BMW 320d - DMF - Al Civic

Hi DP, Avant,

Thanks for the warning DP, I have been looking for a replacement diesel for a while but the problems with DMF are putting me off. I am beginning to think that petrol might be a better option Avant.

Thanks for your comments guys

BMW 320d - DMF - DP

He's had the diagnosis from the garage - new clutch and DMF needed. The previous ones lasted less than 5 months.

They want him to contribute £600 towards the £1200 bill. Which he is refusing to do.

In his words, his first, and last, BMW.

BMW 320d - DMF - Avant

Older diesels didn't have DMFs, let alone DPFs. Maybe someone knows when BMW first introduced them, so Al can see how old his car needs to be.

DP, that sounds as if your B-I-L has had more problems than all of your own high-milege cars put together. If there's a trend here it seems to be that if buying secondhand and you want a diesel, go for one of the older, less complicated engines like the VAG PD or Ford TDDI / TDCI. Otherwise it seems to be better to go for a petrol: one big repair out of warranty knocks on the head any savings that a diesel's economy might have brought.

Edited by Avant on 10/04/2010 at 00:00

BMW 320d - DMF - jc2

The latest diesel Fiestas don't have them but they have been fitted to gasoline cars in the past-where they first appeared.

BMW 320d - DMF - Peter.N.

The older TDS's dont have them, they are also IDI not common rail which makes them less powerfull and a little less economical but much more reliable and cheaper to repair. The extra fuel costs are likely to be swallowed up by the repair savings.

BMW 320d - DMF - DP
DP, that sounds as if your B-I-L has had more problems than all of your own high-milege cars put together.

My personal view is that BMW, like most other manufacturers, are suffering from the need to install components and technology onto cars that is at best delicate, and at worst, completely unfit for purpose. A major mechanical failure on a BMW at this mileage would have been taken extremely seriously by the dealer, and by BMW GB and AG a few years ago.

I recall about 10 years ago, an acquaintance had an engine (conrod) failure on an E36 M3 at 27,000 miles. The engine was replaced FOC without question, BMW AG became involved, and sent a technician over the next day to examine the old engine. A new engine was delivered at the same time, and fitted to the car to get him back on the road. BMW GB paid for the next service as an apology. The German engineer compiled a report, and had the old unit sent back to Germany where it went into a lab and had a full stripdown, metallurgical analysis and so on. The problem was found to be a couple of conrods which were below standard (another was about to go as well). He had a letter from some senior engineering bod at BMW AG apologising for the problem, and assuring him it wouldn't happen again.

The pride they took in their engineering was obvious, and the failure was almost taken personally, yet a conrod failure can occur just as easily through abuse or mistreatment as a clutch problem. At no time at all was it even implied he was at fault, let alone asked for a penny of his own money. How times have changed.

Edited by DP on 10/04/2010 at 16:34