Citroen Xsara - 1998 XSARA Hatch - Door Locks do not open with key - thetoilet

Hi Forum

Just bought myself a Xsara turbo diesel, and the engine is great, but it has a few internal problems I am hoping i can sort out without forking much money for an auto-elec. I generally do the work on cars myself but i am not great with electrics ( i never have got my head around how relays work)

So, the car door locks do not work... the seller told me this when i bought ti so i was not concerned, i was more concerned with a reliable engine after the last 2 cars i have had(Fiat and a VW... not time for France's turn). if you try to unlock or lock the drivers door with the key, the barrel just turns and turns, either direction. if you try and do the passenger door, then it seems seized and will not turn either direction.

I discovered that if you are inside the car with the car running, you can flick the locking button and ALL doors lock and unlock successfully, so the locking mechanism works (i have not tried to open them from the outside when this is done yet, as the drivers electric window is also broken)

My thought would be that I need a new set of lock barrels... but that is just my first guess. Could it be a combination of Lock barrel mechanical fault, with an electrical fault?

Points to note:

1. I have not tried to change the batter in the FOB yet, and do not know if it would help

2. I do not know what is wrong with the electric window. the passenger one works, just not the drivers one. there is no motor noise, so it is not mechanical, it is electrical

3. The door key works on the fuel cap, and the ignition, so i am assuming it is the right one for the doors, but they might have been replaced.

4. I truest the guy who i bought it off

Haynes manual is in the post, sop hoping it will help

Any thoughts?

cheers

dan

Citroen Xsara - 1998 XSARA Hatch - Door Locks do not open with key - thetoilet

with the mass of replied on this post i thought i might reply myself :-)

i think i have found the problems... the driver door lock barrel has broken in some way, i.e. the key just keeps turning and turning, but the back of the log does not move so the mechanism is broken

the passenger door barrel has completely seized... i took it out of the car but it will not budge... the passenger door electric locking motor seems to have seized too, so i need a set of barrels, and maybe a lock barrel...

getting there!

i hate electrics, i wish i could make the whole car manual, no electrics