Compact auto for under 2k - Marc
I'm looking to buy an automatic medium sized car for under 2 grand as a family runaround/2nd car. There doesn't seem to be much about apart from Volvo 440s which are relatively plentiful eg 94M 1.8 SE with FVSH and 54k. Is this a good choice (I've read some reports about poor reliability)? Also is there anything else I should consider? Of primary inportance are safety and reliability, I'm not really concerned with image or performance on this car

Thanks
Compact auto for under 2k - Dave_TD
Vovlo 440 will be as safe and reliable as you are going to get on this budget, but spares are expensive. There are a few VX Astra auto's about, with a proper gearbox with gears as opposed to the Ford CVT.
Most small auto cars will have been treated fairly gently, as they are generally bought new either through Motability or by elderly drivers who potter around in them, get them serviced at a main dealer, and generally don't mistreat them too much.
Maybe they should be advertised as "ideal last car"...?
Compact auto for under 2k - Harmattan
Agree with Dtd on this. Would only add two things: (1) there isn't much difference betweeen a £2000 banger and a £500 banger once you get beyond 7-8 years old; it's all down to maintenance and the way it's been driven. A local newsagent's bulletin board has a 78,000 mile Volvo 360 GLT,one lady owner, FSH, year's MOT for £350--what more is needed for a runabout?

(2) Swedish and German (Golf/Jetta/Passat auto) spares are easier to get hold of, but Japanese reliability is still worth considering even below £2,000. Hondas, in particular, went through a period in the early 90s when the average age of buyer was around 55. In general, those have been looked after. I looked at several well-looked after examples from Accords through Aerodecks before ending up with a 90K mile Legend at £750. Apart from oil and filters, I have only bought two new tyres in 6-7 months and 10,000 miles of motoring.
Compact auto for under 2k - Nick C
Marc,
I've recently bought a 1994 L reg Ford Granada Scorpio for £1200. Automatic, Cruise Control, Electric windows, mirrors, sunroof, Air conditioning, cd player, ABS, Full leather interior, electric seats, heated seats, and cheap to run into the bargain!! It's got 107K miles on the clock now, (Had 97000) when I bought it, and i've spent £30 in maintenance (over an above the usual oil changes).

MPG is about 27, (2 litre engine)

It's the best equipped, most reliable, relaxing to drive car I've had, and a hell of a car for £1200, so it might be worth considering one.

IF you do buy an automatic then I'd reccomend an autobox service as soon as possible. I had one done on mine, and it found that the fluid puickup gauze had dislodged. The mechanic also got a decent look at the box and gave it a general thumbs up.

HTH

Nick
Compact auto for under 2k - Marc
Thanks for the comments all. The other cars I'm considering are a 93-94 Rover 216/416 but am concerned about parts availability. A 94M Fiesta 1.3 Ghia 5 dr auto also looks like a good car but may be too small (and possibly unreliable)

Most other contenders are too large eg Granada, Merc 190, Mk I Mondeo etc. The car is to be used as a runaround for my partner who has not driven for a few years - she wants something mid sized, safe in the event of a crash and auto to save stalling.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the issue with the CVT box on the Volvo?