Driving car back to UK from Europe - no tax or MOT - The Gunner

I am driving a UK registered car back from Spain to sell it in the UK, but will have to drive it from Dover to London without MOT and tax, as cannot get the MOT and tax until get home to London. It is currently SORN as been in Spain for 2 yrs. It is insured in Spain, which also includes some UK driving. I am concerned about driving from the ferry to London without Tax and MOT, and can't get the tax until I have the MOT.

Driving car back to UK from Europe - no tax or MOT - Bilboman

One word of advice - don't. An eagle eyed Spanish or French cop could well spot the lack of tax disc and the moment they demand documents and cotton on to Spanish insurance on a British registered car with no mechanical certificate from anywhere, you're in very hot water. If you do get as far as the UK (your Spanish 3rd party cover will NOT now cover personal injury to you or any passenger, by the way) you can expect Customs to have a word about the tax disc and BIBs will most likely catch you on ANPR about the rest. I was once pulled over at Poole Harbour by HMC&E and asked all about my plans for my stay in the UK (I was returning to the UK for the summer) - my conclusion was that they'd checked the car's registration while I was on the ferry. I had three days' MOT and a month's tax to run at the time.

Driving car back to UK from Europe - no tax or MOT - retgwte

As long as it has valid insurance then in the UK it will be legal to drive it to a prebooked MOT appointment

Make an appointment at an MOT station near your destination and drive there directly from the port, make sure you can prove you have an MOT appointment if you get stopped

Youre problem will be if it fails the MOT you will be in a dilema if you want to move it

No idea what the position will be in France etc

Driving car back to UK from Europe - no tax or MOT - WellKnownSid

You won't get more than 100 yds from the ferry before being pulled over, and the book being thrown at you. AFAIK ANPR cameras are fitted at all ports - which would kind of make sense.

SORN means you've notified the DVLA that the vehicle will NOT be used on the road, hence it is no longer road legal in the UK. Operating the vehicle for temporary periods (i.e. on holiday) in another EU country is legal, providing the car is legal in its country of origin - which yours isn't.

And, yes, the Policia Local where you currently live probably don't care, but GC Trafico and the national police in France won't necessarily be looking the other way when you drive past! GCT will happily impound your vehicle leaving you to make your own way home...

Driving car back to UK from Europe - no tax or MOT - NARU

My father tells me that police around his area (mid France) have been having a bonanza picking up british registered cars without mot or tax. Lots of tales of people having to make emergency dashes back to the UK to get an MOT and tax in order to avoid further penalties

Driving car back to UK from Europe - no tax or MOT - Mike H

See half way down this page www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowTo...2 - explains it all. You could have a problem.

Driving car back to UK from Europe - no tax or MOT - b308

Daft question... but why don't you get it MOTd in Dover?

Driving car back to UK from Europe - no tax or MOT - pmh3

I think that you run a very good chance of being done on ANPR cameras when back in the UK. Is it possible to obtain a set of Spanish plates ( and appropriate insurance documentation) without going thro the full Spanish registration process? That would allow you passage in the UK - probably iffy but would reduce the likelihood of being picked up automatically.

OR

How about getting a garage in Dover to collect the vehicle from the port area and take it for an MOT. If you pick a weekday you may even be able to tax it in Dover providing you can find an insurance broker who issues a cover note. It may cost but cheaper in the long run.