UK Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi Year 2000 - Noisy engine and poor acceleration - nowthenhonest

UK Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi Year 2000

At the time my car was starting perfectly well in the cold weather. I went on a 100 mile journey and the following day it would not start. It had to turn the engine over for some time before it started. After a weak start, it immediately stopped. I got it to start again but this time it kept going but the engine was very loud and sounded like it was maybe not firing on all cylinders. When I drove it, it had no acceleration. Eventually, after it had warmed up and quietened down a bit, I did start to see some acceleration but not as good as usual.

The next time I started it, it took less time to start. However, the oil light came on. I checked the oil level and found that it was above the minimum level. I filled it up to the maximum level and when I started it, the light was no longer lit and the engine sounded quieter.

Over time, it has begun to start better - but then the weather has warmed up as well. However, I still have a very noisy engine when it starts. This lasts for a few minutes. I have seen a drop in fuel efficiency and I still have the drop in power/acceleration. Also, the other day my wife was following me in her car and she said that black smoke was coming from the exhaust whenever I accelerated.

Can anyone suggest a diagnosis?

Thanks

Edited by Avant on 30/03/2010 at 23:35

UK Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi Year 2000 - Noisy engine and poor acceleration - piston power

Black smoke is over fueling might be egr valve sticking what state is the air filter in?

When was the last full service?

Also worth getting any codes read to pin point the fault first.

UK Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi Year 2000 - Noisy engine and poor acceleration - nowthenhonest

The last service was about 3000 miles ago which is now about 16 months (when the air filter was changed. I don't use the car much and most of the miles are as a result of motorway driving.

You mentioned getting the codes read. I have no experience of engine management systems. Do these systems always have codes ready to be read or does it have to have indicated a fault by a light on the dash board? I haven't noticed any light or anything.

Thanks

Today I removed the air filter. There was no change unfortunately, so I don't think it is being caused by a blocked air filter (which didn't look particularly bad anyway).

How would I go about testing the EGR valve? Is the EGR valve opened and closed by vacuum being applied or removed? If so.....when there is no vacuum is the valve open or closed?

Thanks

UK Kia Sedona 2.9 TDi Year 2000 - Noisy engine and poor acceleration - DavidGlos

Could the noisy and hesitant cold starting be as a result of not using the glow plugs or not allowing them sufficient time to heat up? Many diesels will start (perhaps reluctantly) from cold with minimal use of the glowplugs, but will sound like a bag of spanners for a little while, until the cylinders warm through.

That's an interesting thought. I am surprised to hear that it would take a while for the cylinders to heat up. How would I test my preheater (no glowplugs on my Sedona)?

I suppose that this wouldn't really account for my black smoke though (even when warm).

Edited by nowthenjohn on 03/04/2010 at 01:18