Real World Fuel Economy figures - Slarty Bartfast

Hello All,

Does anyone know of a website that provides actual real world fuel economy figures? - probably submitted by users (this website is very useful for the cars that have been test driven - but they don't include all models as it would probably take up too much time :-) ).

I am about to retire my trusty and reliable diesel Almera and am looking to replace it with a larger car - either an octavia (1.9pd, 1.6cr or the 1.4TSI), I30 1.6d Estate or the Ceed SW 1.6d.

Thanks in advance.

(Subject corrected)

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 29/03/2010 at 18:55

Real World Fuel Economy figures - daveyjp

Try fuelly.com

Real World Fuel Economy figures - b308

I always use the combined figure, I usually find that I can exceeed that figure by a couple of mpg once I'm used to the car, but it does as a guide to what I can expect.

Thanks for the feedback.

That website looks pretty useful... it just doesn't have all the models I am looking at - but 2 good lots of figures on the Skoda 1.4TSI and 1.9PD.

With respect to using combined figures, I have read somewhere that these can be quite a bit off for some models, in particular the I30 estate.

The trip computer on the one I test drove had a figure of 45mpg.. the claimed combined is 60.1mpg. There could be other factors at play here i.e. its a new engine and needs to bed in. The sales guy said that his colleague who uses the car is a bit heavy footed and hence the low figure.

No published figures can be accurate for a particular individual, we are all different in the way we drive, so whether you use the manufacturers figures or one from a website they will not neccessarily match what you will get in real life. So they can only be used as a comparison, and I've found that the combined figure does work for me, as a comparison... you may be different!

I use brim to brim to calculate mpg, once I've done that from several fill-ups I can find out ghow accurate the computer is and then use that in the future. I've found that the original Fabia I had the computer was dead on, but the second one and my current Roomster are both about 7% over... I'd suggest that if you try to use one without checking it by brimming that you take 10% off the figure, that way you will not be dissappointed!

TBH the only way you can really tell what the mpg will be is by taking an extended test drive (over a weekend) which will give you sufficient mileage to see how they are... Just make sure you zero the computer before you start!

With all due respect to that fuelly site,,, I drive a Roomster 1.9TDi and have NEVER got below 48mpg (and that was driving accross Europe at Autobahn speeds with aircon on)... what that person is doing to his to only get 35mpg defeats me!

Edited by b308 on 29/03/2010 at 23:02

Real World Fuel Economy figures - k9dan

If it helps I run a 1.9PD Octavia, running about town averages 48mpg, on a run into the mid 50's if driving like a nun 67mpg !!! Great motor unbelievable economy, can't recommend it highly enough.

Real World Fuel Economy figures - madf

I always work on combined figures: and do 2 -4 mpg worse on average due to mainly short runs.

Real World Fuel Economy figures - dieseldogg

It is my understanding that the combined figure allows one to compare different cars/different engines, and is reasonably indictive of actual consumption for "normal" driving. After that it is down to individual driving technique/skill.

Yep, thats all it is... but it gives me something to aim for!!

Real World Fuel Economy figures - lotusexige

Yes thats it, the manufacturers figures are only good to campare car A with car B. What you get will be different to what I get will be different to what my wife gets.

The only time I ever checked the Exige properly I got 35 over a 1300 mile trip but I reckon I could get it below 10 if I tried. Mind you if I did I would expect to have no licence before the first gallon was used.

Thanks all for the further input. It would seem that the 1.9pd engine is well liked.
Although, the usually bulletproof almera took a turn for the worse today and failed spectacularly with the front nearside suspension coil shooting out of its housing and into the tyre :-(. Luckily I had just reached home 5 minutes previously before it went with a large bang. I cannot think about what would have happened if it had gone earlier when on the motorway.