Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Fuel Consumption - batfink82

Hi, I am looking for some information.

I have a Ford Fiesta 1.4l Zetec (03 model), it has always been a good and reliable car however we have had a few issues with the tracking and rapid wearing of tyres. I had four new tyres over a year ago the offside front tyre wore out rapidly and had to be replaced. We have had the tracking done numerous times to try and correct the cars thirst for tyres and fuel but it has never really been right. I beileve the tracking and tyres are now fine but the fuel consumption is not.

Most annoying the fuel consumption is not very good, across all types of driving, short distances to long motorway runs it has never achieved better than 300miles per tank. Mostly the driving we do in the car is 6 miles each end of the day to the train station and then longer runs (150 miles+) at the weekends, this mix of driving conditions still means we end up with a fuel consumption of 29-30 mpg.

Has anyone else seen similar performance? should I take it to a garage for diagnostics?

Edited by rtj70 on 29/03/2010 at 17:02

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Fuel Consumption - oldtoffee

IMO the only way to get an accurate mpg figure is to brim the car and record the mileage at the next fill up and then you'll have a far more accurate measure than you're getting now.Town driving in heavy traffic will see 30mpg as will 80+ mph on the motorway.

Is the car regularly serviced? Spark plugs, air filter, oil all changed. Failure to do this will see a gradual drop off in performance and mpg. Are the brakes binding?

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Fuel Consumption - safedriver

Hi,

I do remarkably similar journeys to you, 5 miles each way to work and about 200 miles every now and again. I have (not for much longer, though) a Peugeot 307 1.6 auto, and have been recording the brim to brim consumption since July.

I get an average of 31mpg, with a range of 24 to 37. The 24 was because of roadworks on my normal route to work which meant I went a longer, but more stop-start route, and the 37 was pretty much 90% Mway driving at about 60-70 mph most of the way.

I consider myself pretty light footed, and would expect a Fiesta 1.4 to be even more economical, so why not go for diagnostics? It might save you 5mpg. On the other hand a lighter right foot will do that, too.

I'm not suggesting you are heavy footed, but most drivers could save money by backing off a bit.

Slightly off-topic, I remember during the last fuel shortage a few years ago, I had to trudge up and down the M3 2 or 3 times a week, and was amazed at how slowly everyone was driving. It was unusual to see anyone driving at 80, and virtually everyone was at or below 70. It was almost relaxing;-)

HTH.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Fuel Consumption - cabsmanuk

I drive a one year old 1.6tdi fiesta with 10000 on the clock. I've had it from new and the consumption is a disapointing 42 to the gallon. I drive normally and whilst I didn't expect the claimed 65 plus mpg I would have liked around 50. I complained to Ford and they suggested I take it into the dealers which I don't have time to do. To be fair to them they keep calling me to see if I've booked it in for diagnostics. Other drivers in the same office have identical cars and they don't get much better fuel consumption.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Fuel Consumption - Will Rose

I have a 1.25 (82BHP) Fiesta Edge bought new December 2009. It has now done 2500 miles and fuel consumption full tank to full tank has been 40, 37, 40, 39, 39, 41, 43 mpg. Not the 50 or so expected from published figures. At suggestion of dealer I have checked odometer accuracy against GPS and found it to be 2% error i.e. nothing of concern, brakes not binding, tyre pressures ok.

Today did test drive in their demo. Fiesta with fuel computer and returned 52mpg.

They are having it back (no quibble) for investigation next week.

Watch this space.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Fuel Consumption - Armitage Shanks {p}

I am not getting within 5mpg of Ford's quoted overall 55 mpg for my KA, driven very gently. All I have noted is an inprovement in the consumption as the weather has got warmer

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Fuel Consumption - pip62

I am a very impressed owner of a new 1.6tdci - I achieve 57 to 59mpg on steady and mixed 55 mile commuter runs , expecting this to improve further as engine runs in.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Fuel Consumption - flobeau

hi i have same model 03 1.4 zetec and do a regular 25 mile perfect run after 1 mile local to bypass for 24 should get 45/50 only getting 40! its non stop. have changed plugs and brakes not binding, will be changing air filter asap to see if it makes a difference,will keep you posted.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Fuel Consumption - KenC

29-30mpg for mainly longer journeys is diabolical !

have you checked your wheels for sticking brakes or handbrake ?

have you checked your tyre pressures

are you running the aircon all the time ?

are you running around with roof bar rails ?

all of the above will increased your fuel consumption

My 8 year old VW Golf Diesel took me to Heathrow & Back this week (160 miles)

average speed 52mph / average mpg 62.5 mpg ( the trip computer is always spot on)

Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Fuel Consumption - injection doc

Its an old thread,our Fiesta is a little heavey on tyres but has improved by over 4000 miles in between changes by getting HID to drive more slowly round roundabouts as this really scrubs the tyres off.

Fuel consumption on our 1.6tdci is av 53-57 on a run 63-67 , if you drive like a nun it will touch 70+ mpg

We had a petrol 1.4 fusion which drunk fuel av 30mpg running around so got swapped very quickly for a 1.4 tdci which then averaged about 53ish but the 1.6tdci proved much much better all round