Which reliable and economical car under 3K - kitkats

I've been considering either a Honda Civic or a VW Golf - about an 01 reg. mainly because they both offer a reputation for reliability and very economical diesels. I'm fairly certain I want another diesel after my current 1.9D Xantia which has been great (in terms of fuel) considering it cost 400 quid.

I usually drive alone but often carry quite a bit of stuff so I don't want to go any smaller. I am 6'3" though so I need headroom - and the more upright the driving position the better as I do get back trouble sometimes.

The A1 priority for me is reliability and running costs. I've been spending an average of about a grand a year on repairs alone whilst my Dad spends about a hundred on his (cramped) Nissan Almera.

So my question is - Civic or Golf or ……..? Is there another model I should be considering like maybe the Skoda Octavia?

Which reliable and economical car under 3K - DP

I would recommend a Golf with the PD TDI engine. They are astonishingly frugal driven gently - I can get 60 mpg out of our 130 bhp version on a gentle run with no trouble at all, and an easy 50 mpg in mixed driving conditions. £3k should get you a nice GT TDI 115 bhp model, or possibly a 130 bhp in SE trim. The 130 GT TDIs are still around £4k unless they have starship mileages.

We've had ours a year. 88k up when bought, just about to tick over 100k now. No breakdowns, and its needed a couple of services, a CV gaiter and a set of rear pads. One of the most reliable cars I've ever had, so far anyway.

Which reliable and economical car under 3K - nb857

I have had a MKII Golf and have had a 98 Civic for 8 years. The Honda leaves the Golf standing for reliability, it's in a different league.

Which reliable and economical car under 3K - Avant

Honda does have a more consistent reliability record than most others, but this is for petrol cars: the record for diesels is not quite so good. Have a look at HJ's car reviews (go to the home page at the top left of the screen), where you'll also see that the dlesel Civic didn't come to the UK till 2002.

Add the Octavia to your list; they too were available with the 1.9 diesel engine which as DP suggests is very reliable.

Edited by Avant on 24/03/2010 at 23:49

Which reliable and economical car under 3K - rtj70

Just to add the VAG 1.9 must still be good enough for VAG as some Skoda's (eg. the Superb) are still available with this engine.

Thanks for the advice so far. Still researching... think I should definitely add the Fabia TDI Estate to my list - I like its looks more than the Octavia, and the fuel economy sounds superb. The Mazda 323 might be an option too, but not many of them about. Same goes for Avensis, and the fuel eceonomy is also not as good.

Which reliable and economical car under 3K - primeradriver

Hold on a sec -- £3000 for a nine year old car?

Don't do it. Just ... don't.

If you get to the point where you are looking at cars that old, throw brand-names out of the window. I don't care what the name is, that age for that money is a poor decision when you're after reliable IMO.

You mentioned your dad and his Almera. Have a think about that one. His car will be worth £3000 tops, and for that you'd be looking at a 2005 car.

Now, you might not want an Almera, but that isn't the point. Look at the cars with the vicious depreciation. Try to get something as new as you can afford. Be more worried by age than mileage. And don't get too hung up by image or driving dynamics.

When you can occasionally find a 2006 Kia Cerato for £2500, it seems madness to me to be spending £3000 on something five years older just because it's a VW -- Kias (for example) are just as reliable.

I think I've said my piece, up to you really. But I will say that a workmate of mine just spent £4300 on an 8-year-old BMW 3-series and it is absolutely riddled, no, plagued with faults. That's the risk you take with old cars that have had years to run up the neglect. You can live with it when you've paid a couple of hundred quid, but a car costing thousands owes you.

Which reliable and economical car under 3K - DP

>> Hold on a sec -- £3000 for a nine year old car?

>> Don't do it. Just ... don't.

I don't regret £4k for a seven year old car last year. It has given me a year of 50-60mpg motoring with impeccable reliability and a total maintenance spend of £300 (including a pair of front tyres). If the plate bothered me (and I couldn't care less), I could stick a private plate on it, and nobody would never guess its age. It's still worth within £200 of what I paid for it today, and I wouldn't bet against it still being worth £3k in a couple of years time. Minimal depreciation, cheap to tax, cheap to insure, peanuts to run. Initial investment aside, motoring (so far) does not get much cheaper when you factor everything in to the equation. And it's a car that we enjoy owning and driving, getting on in years or not.

I am not a believer that VW engineering is still superior to the opposition, but neither do I accept it's much worse than the Japanese, and if the chap in front of me in the motor factors the other day buying discs and pads for his Celica were anything to go buy (he left £170 lighter), a VW is a darn sight cheaper parts-wise.

What your argument misses is one very important point. Slow depreciating cars will continue to be slow depreciating. That means a lower total cost of ownership, and a nice easy resale when the time comes. Various friends and relatives have sold diesel Golfs in recent years for top money, within hours of placing adverts. People want them. You can argue whether that's justified or not, but it is a fact. It's your disadvantage when buying, but you benefit from it when selling. And a well maintained nine year old car will look and feel far younger, and will provide reliable motoring.

A modern French car (by which I don't mean the bulletproof old 405's, 306's, ZX's etc)out of warranty and with a few years/miles on it is likely to be a living nightmare, but that doesn't apply across the board.

The golden rule is surely to buy what you want, but buy on condition!

Edited by DP on 28/03/2010 at 11:11

@primeradriver:

Well, thanks for the advice - it has certainly made me think a bit about the question of age over presumed reliability and fuel economy. Obviously the Total Cost of Ownership is what is important, and as I do less than 10K miles a year maybe obsessing over MPG is a little misguided.

On the other hand, it's probably more a 7-8 year old car we're looking at since the CDTI Civic came out in 2002, and I'm now thinking more Honda, Skoda or Toyota than VW. I'm not very swayed by image which is why the VW's seems overpriced to me now. I'd gladly have my Dad's Almera if it didn't make my spine compress.

I don't know much about Kia, Daewoo etc except that people seem sceptical of their build quality. I'm looking for a car to keep for the next 5 - 10 years so I want something with proven engineering.

But I do take your point, and maybe something like a Primera wouldn't be such a bad idea:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20101235556...p

Its a bit of a bummer living in North Norfolk as it makes so many cars I find on Autotrader a bit too far away unless I knew I was going to buy, which I wouldn't do without seeing it.

Which reliable and economical car under 3K - barney100

You can always get a car from a non franchised dealer at your price with a bit of a warranty. Or another way is to get a private warranty to cover major parts. You are then only due for the normal servicing and tyres etc. It's really satisfying getting a good car for peanuts.