Kymco - Squeeking suspension: front of scooter - Gregory II

i have a scooter, and after riding it starts to squeek from the front end of the bike. what could be causing this, and how can i resolve this? i have heard this type of noise on a Skoda but i wonder what it is? it goes away after the bike is parked up, but after a journey re-appears.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

This noise is still being emitted from the scooter. Any ideas technical guys what this might be? It seems something really obvious, but my diagnosis skills have been used up and I am lost with this problem.

Greg

Kymco - Squeeking suspension: front of scooter - mickyh7

Hi kymco,maybe try the biking part of this forum,or maybe motorcycle news website.

I think you'll get more replys on one of those pages-Good luck

Kymco - Squeeking suspension: front of scooter - amj

At a guess, dry bearings or bushes. These cheap imports arent known for their build quality.

Kymco - Squeeking suspension: front of scooter - boggles

Just a couple of guesses as I can't obviously hear the noise. Is it the front disc pads squeaking? If gently braking will alter the sound or stop it, you may need to strip and clean the brake. If the sound is intermittent as you ride along, can you reproduce it by stopping, then pushing down on the suspension while holding the brake on? You can sometimes "feel" the location of a squeak by touching the suspension on all the fixings and moving parts as someone pushes it up and down for you. Check the fork clamps for security. A continuous squeal could be a dry or dirty wheel bearing.

The Kymco's are known to be pretty good scooters. I have had no problems in the time I've had it, although I have noticed that its propensity to corrode is more than Honda's, although there isn't a major difference.

It seems in comes from the swing arm, but once I put the bike on the stand, and try to re-create the sound of the squeeking it goes away. I am lost as to what this is. The wheel bearings are fine as there is very little freeplay there.

Thanks again.
Kymco - Squeeking suspension: front of scooter - amj

Just because there is little or no free play in the wheel bearing it doesnt mean its not dry!

Even the big 4 japanese manufacturers are reknown for being a bit stingy with lubricating chassis parts from new so why should Kymco be any different? My money is still on dry bearings or bushes in the suspension.

Ah swinging arm-Now i'm thinking I had this on an old Honda 200 in the 80's.Try putting some oil on the springs that hold the swinging arm up-where they loop over the lugs on the frame/swinging arm.If not that try looking at the rubber around where the shocker bolts on at the bottom/top of the shock W.D 40 also fixes lots of things for a short time !

If its still there, get a friend to move the bike up and down etc. whilst your on your hands and knee's listening close up.

Good Luck.

Just because there is little or no free play in the wheel bearing it doesnt mean its not dry!

Even the big 4 japanese manufacturers are reknown for being a bit stingy with lubricating chassis parts from new so why should Kymco be any different? My money is still on dry bearings or bushes in the suspension.

You dont use a power wash to clean your scooter do you ?

They are really bad for washing out the grease from wheel bearings on Bikes !

I am a grease monkey: i.e. I grease / lube/ WD40 everything on the bike that needs it as I know this can do a lot for a bike/ car, as long as it is done properly! I will try adding more grease to the wheel bearings by removing the wheel and inserting a coating of grease.

Sounds like you look after your scooter very well. BUT dont use WD40 it washes grease out of things.Its fine for stoping rust,cleaning etc. but light oil is better for cables etc.

I'll bet this is a common problem have you asked the Dealer or looked on any scooter forums ?

Good Luck - mick.