Peugeot 406 LX 2.0 (P reg), - Peugeot 406 clutch issue - agb

i have recently got my hands on a second hand Peugeot 406 LX 2.0 (P reg), and notice the clutch usage is strange compared to a ford or any other car i have driven.

the first issue is i am not able to feel the biting point vibration on the clutch peddle. im sure there is one, but it’s so smooth and feels non existent i sometimes find myself, over revving or stalling.

to make matters worse the clutch peddle appears to auto adjust it’s off position. Sometimes the peddle position is high (very tiring to keep arching my foot so high to change gear when in a traffic jam) and then sometimes the peddle position is low, causing me to sometimes under-press the peddle and crunch the gears. there does not appear to be a consistent clutch peddle position. i dare not attempt any clutch control techniques on a hill in multi-storey car park yet, i’d probably stall the tank and reverse into the car behind me.

also, sometimes while pushing the clutch all the way down and putting the gear in reverse there is no clunk (like in a ford), i do sometimes wonder did it actually change gear, and yes it is properly in reverse gear, again no biting point vibration, and then sometimes with the clutch all the way down there is a clunk while going into reverse.

i am also sometimes finding it difficult to get into gear, where i have to really put my foot down on the clutch as far as i can possibley push to avoid crunching the gear.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks.

Peugeot 406 LX 2.0 (P reg), - Peugeot 406 clutch issue - Peter.N.

Dont know whether this one has a cable or hydraulic clutch, the lack of 'feel' would seem to indicate that it is hydraulic in which case the slave cylinder seal is probably leaking, if its a cable, the auto adjuster is probably faulty.