What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Sofa Spud

We look back on things like vinyl roofs and matt-black bonnets as car fads that appear highly un-cool now.

I was wondering what things that are fashionable on present-day cars will be laughed at in the future. The thing that comes to mind for me are engine covers that look like dummy engines, with stylised manifolds - are they intake or exhaust - who knows?

OK, engine covers have a practical purpose of providing sound deadening. but why make them look like an engine? even some very expensive cars have these. Surely designers could come up with something more attractive!

Why not attach the cover to the inside of the bonnet, so it snuggles down on the engine on the same way when it's closed but is out of the way when the bonnet's open?

Edited by Sofa Spud on 21/03/2010 at 11:38

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - 659FBE

cup holders.

central LcD screens showing too much distracting and superfluous information.

electric handbrakes.

Edited by 659FBE on 21/03/2010 at 11:45

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Altea Ego

On the whole? Drivers.

Most of the ones I see are naff.

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - M.M

cup holders.

central LcD screens showing too much distracting and superfluous information.

electric handbrakes.

Now we're used to cupholders as a family I really wouldn't want to do without somewhere to put that otherwise unfinished coke from the drive through.

Intergrated Nav/Radio/Phone screen is a brilliant one stop shop for all your needs

elec handbrake is a jury out thing with me so far.

a personal thing but I'm a bit unsure about very dark rear glass on small/medium cars.... and the overuse of chrome/silver inside.

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Avant

Along with electric handbrakes, I hope this will also apply to separate starter buttons and (particularly) cans of gunk instead of spare wheels.

Sounds like a nice idea about engine covers, SS. If it worked it could cut down servicing times, as unscrewing these must take up considerable time on each car.

Edited by Avant on 21/03/2010 at 15:00

They are held on with rubber bungs and lift off in about 3 microseconds.

They help keep the engine clean, (and are much easier to clean in themselves) make the engine quieter.

I am sure there are much dafter features you could complain about.

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Marc

auto dipping rear view mirror - I like to see who is behind me

Rain sensing wipers (with no manual override)

The 'free' third/fourth sweep you get when you use the front screenwashers - it just tends to smear

Edited by Marc on 21/03/2010 at 15:37

auto dipping mirror? Had one on the old car, dont in the new one and I miss it. I could see who was behind me, now its just bright lights.

Rain sensing wipers? they all have an overide - instructions are in the manual.

The free "dribble wipe"? hate it - as you say it smears.

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - CGNorwich

I assume you mean auto dimming rather than auto dipping. Find it quite useful and you can always switch it off.

Not sure that "naff" really applies to features like auto dimming mirrors and rains sensitive wipers. You either find them useful or not I see it more applicable to styling features, often after market like bull bars and over large exhausts, tinted windows and the like which display an innate lack of taste

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Marc

Some clarification. Don't like the auto dimming (thanks cGNorwich) mirror because on a dark unlit motorway if something comes up behind you, you can't see who/what it is and there's no way of turning it off (unless it can be Tech2'd off - it's a Vectra c)

re the wipers you're right. Position 1 is auto, 2 is normal and 3 is fast. What I miss is intermittent or even better, variable intermittent - this you can't have on the Vectra.

Quote:..."Sounds like a nice idea about engine covers, SS. if it worked it could cut down servicing times, as unscrewing these must take up considerable time on each car.""

Thinking more about this, attaching the soundproof engine cover to the inside of the bonnet instead of to the top of the engine seems practical. There's always the possibility of mechanics hitting their head on it, but it could be made easily detachable.

Two possible problems are that the engine, being on rubber mountings, would move in relation to the cover - so it would probably need more clearance. The other is that the fittings on the inside of the bonnet might need to differ depending on the type of engine fitted.

Suprised you can't turn off the auto dimming - certainly can on my octavia although i tend to leave it switched on

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Nickdm

My vote goes to the electrically-heated steering wheel. is the human race really becoming so pathetic that our little pinkies need this feature?!

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - hbosken

Privacy windows - they look naff now, never mind in 10 years time.

Wheel trims - especially those that ened cable ties as non-optional extras

Fog lights that are not used in fog but are used on every other occasion.

Starter buttons

electric handbrakes

auto-wipers, auto headlights and auto-dimming mirrors

heater controls (v climate control)

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - NARU

on my car, it has to be the electronically controlled engine mounts!

i understand that at idle it triggers a diaphram to allow oil out, so the mount is softened, giving a smoother-feeling idle, with the reverse happening at speed. (its a big 3-litre 4 cylinder diesel)

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - tyro

Low profile tyres have got to be the worst.

alloy wheels also strike me as being pretty pointless, though not exactly naff.

Tiny rear windows are another feature that strike me as pretty naff.

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - kithmo

i'll go along with Low profile tyres, uncomfortable and expensive.

Front fog lights are an unneccesary and naff item iMo, modern cars headlights are good enough. i don't know why manufacturers automatically add them to the higher spec cars and don't make them an optional extra. they're obviously not neccesary otherwise they would be a compulsory item on the full range.

Rear privacy glass (blacked out windows) look naff, they make the car look like a van, especially on black cars.

Edited by kith on 22/03/2010 at 11:31

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - NARU

i've never used the front fogs on either of my last two cars.

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Clk Sec

the last car of mine to have front fogs was a sit-up-and-beg Ford Prefect in the late 60's.

i don't do luxury.

clk Sec

i use mine, it looks real cool.

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Clk Sec
it looks real cool.

especially on a sunny day.

:)

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - idle_chatterer

i didn't know you could switch the front foglights off on a b M W ? ;-)

(forum keeps turning capital bs to lower case)

Saw an old Volvo V70 this pleasant and sunny morning in Surrey, had its headlamps and front foglamps on, driver was wearing sun-glasses too.

i guess the headlamps are the DRLs, but the foglamps were for 'effect'.

(and it would seem capital i too !)

Edited by idle_chatterer on 22/03/2010 at 13:37

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - bintang

on my hyundai i30, air-conditoned glove box and lock internal to the boot (or "luggage room" as it is described in the handbook). Who get slocked into his own boot?.

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Tornadorot

isn't an internal boot release a legal requirement in the USa? No idea if they sell the i30 there though...

Yes and Yes. Known as the elantra touring

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - shara

Daytime running lights, if its bright they are not required, if it gets gloomy switch the headlights on to half or full beam, simples. they also look silly iMo, especially the 'fairy lights' on modern audi's.

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - monian

'ambient lighting' on the new Mini

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Diamond

Sofaspud - the other week i saw a top of the range bentley aLL in matt black!

i saw a top of the range bentley aLL in matt black!

actually that does sound cool

what are the naffest features on modern cars? - BigJohnD

i love my auto lights, auto wipers and photo-chromatic mirror.

when i get in an "ordinary" car, i hate having to grope around for a switch when i realise the car doesn't do it for you.

the no-spare-wheel aerosol of gunge is pretty silly as are excessive LeD eye-brow DRLs.

what are the naffest features on modern cars? - safedriver

i love my auto lights, auto wipers and photo-chromatic mirror.

when i get in an "ordinary" car, i hate having to grope around for a switch when i realise the car doesn't do it for you.

the no-spare-wheel aerosol of gunge is pretty silly as are excessive LeD eye-brow DRLs.

auto lights, yes, except when driving through 'long underpasses' when the lights come on for precisely 1 second.

auto wipers, no, because they always wipe at exactly the wrong timing. always either excessively quick, or too damn lazy. and anyone who can forget to turn on the wipers isn't looking out the window enough for my liking :-)

Photo chromatic mirror, yes, without any shadow of a doubt.

My current Pug 307 has all of these, but my on order Focus Zetec has none of them, and the only thing i'll miss is the photo-chromatic mirror.

it has a full size spare as well.

what are the naffest features on modern cars? - retgwte

ultra low profile tyres especially on 4x4's

space saver tyres

can of foam in the boot instead of any spare

what are the naffest features on modern cars? - Vauxpop

in ten years from now...

any petrol car over 2 litres will be considered an exotic

any cars with NcaP ratings of less than 4 stars won't be allowed for UK sale

bMws will be front wheel drive

what are the naffest features on modern cars? - OG

In ten years time only the super-rich will be able to afford to feed petrol engines of nore than 2 litres.

My naffest feature? Colour matched bumbers which are more fragile than the rest of the car.

what are the naffest features on modern cars? - Diamond

Cannot see the point of dimmable dashboard lights.

What are the naffest features on modern cars? - Herr Sandwichmann
For me the ridiculous little strings of bulbs under the headlights of modern Audis - are they meant to make them look more aggressive or something?
What are the naffest features on modern cars? - tyro

"For me the ridiculous little strings of bulbs under the headlights of modern Audis - are they meant to make them look more aggressive or something?"

Something like that. Perhaps even "This car is being driven by a gangster."

QUOTE:..."In ten years time bMws will be front wheel drive""

Or probably 4-wheel drive - with mechanical drive to rear wheels and electric drive / regenerative braking to front wheels - or the other way round.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 25/03/2010 at 15:50