Kia rio - Fuel economy takes a hit after servicing - diddy1234

I was wondering if other diesel drivers have noticed that after a service the fuel economy takes a hit.

I would imagine that the oil has better lubriacting properties after it has carbonised a bit and that the new fuel filter would have an initial bit of resistance to fuel flow.

Has anyone alse noticed this trait with diesel engined cars ?

Kia rio - Fuel economy takes a hit after servicing - Lygonos

a new fuel filter would be better than an old one, so doubt that's a problem (isn't your car only 1 yr old - I wouldn't have thought this would be changed anyway).

New oil of the same spec will be slightly thicker as the oil is physically chopped up ona molecular level, and the viscosity improvers in the additive pack are used up. I'd guess that this may account for 2-3% increased fuel use (equivalent from going from a 30-weight oil to a 40-weight for example), so would expect at worst 1-2mpg fall from a 50-60mpg car.

If you've noticed a bigger drop, do the usual tank-to-tank calculations and see if it is a big drop. Remember there are loads of confounding factors, such as tyre pressures, atmospheric conditions, driving conditions, etc.

Thanks for the advise.

I will look what I get on the next tank full.

I just wondered if other diesel drivers had noticed this sort of thing happening after a service.

and yes the car is just over a year old and still putting a smile on my face.

Kia rio - Fuel economy takes a hit after servicing - pmh3

I had the same thing happen on a 56 Picasso 1.6HDi.about 3 years ago after the first service. I cannot look up the details at the moment, but it was a small but noticeable drop.

Very difficult to prove unless you have comprehensive records.

Kia rio - Fuel economy takes a hit after servicing - b308

I can't say I've ever noticed after a service, but I have noticed a difference using different fuels... so I suppose it could happen!

ah I didn't think of that.

The previous tank full had Shell optimax diesel (if that is what it is called).

Maybe that could also explain it.

Kia rio - Fuel economy takes a hit after servicing - ijws15

You will probably find they have adjusted the handbrake and it is binding slightly.