Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - csgmart

I was lucky enough to get a new car almost 3 weeks ago - a beautiful Jaguar XF 3.0D Premium Luxury.

I had an S Type a few years back but the XF is nothing like the Jags of old. This is pure class and modern technology which actually works. I tried a number of different cars before chosing the Jag. Audi A5 Sportsback, Merc C250 and BMW 330D but the Jag won the day easily.

As standard all XFs come with a host of items which would all be cost options on most of the opposition. I can honestly say that it was by far the best car.

After almost 3 weeks the engine has been run in and I'm now starting to explore the capabilities of the engine and gearbox. Wow is all I can say...

For a 3 litre engine I am averaging 36.3 MPG over 2,400 miles with one journey showing an average of 51.4 MPG (all figures from the onboard computer).

The boot is simply huge and you can even fold down the rear seats to make the space frankly astonishing.

One other factor swung the decision for me - the relative exclusivity of the XF. On my 120 mile round trip to work and back I see an almost endless number of BMW, Audi and Merc but hardly any other XFs. For those looking for a change - try a test drive in an XF and I bet it won't be what you expected.

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - barneybear

Thanks for this. Last March I drove the X type, Mondeo, A4, BMW 320D and Merc 220CD. Only the Merc did it for me at the time, which was a disappointment as I liked the look of the Jag. However with my line of owrk I wasn't sure how the finances would stak up, so decided tio stick with my Megan and wait. So glad I did as I'm now looking at E class Merc or XF. Love the look of the XF, but I'd love a manual. Arranging proper test next week.

Love the look of the XF, but I'd love a manual. Arranging proper test next week.

One of the reasons I wanted a Jag was for the auto gearbox, although obviously that is also available in BMW, Merc etc. With DSC set to on and in sport mode the car is effectively a manual (flappy paddles) and WOW does it fly!

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - Bigglés

So happy you like the car. Mine is in order and am counting down the days to delivery. My apologies in advance for reducing your exclusivity.

Biggles

So happy you like the car. Mine is in order and am counting down the days to delivery. My apologies in advance for reducing your exclusivity.

Biggles

You won't regret it, but I suspect you know that already. No worries about the exclusivity - it will be a while before Jag catches up with Audi and BMW.

By the way what spec did you go for? You did get the rear parking aid didn't you? One thing I wouldn't be without.

Are you a member of the XF forum?

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - rtj70

Interesting that you're comparing an XF with a size of car below (3 Series, A4 and C Class). The equivalent to an XF would be 5 Series BMW, E Class Mercedes and an Audi A6.

Interesting that you're comparing an XF with a size of car below (3 Series, A4 and C Class). The equivalent to an XF would be 5 Series BMW, E Class Mercedes and an Audi A6.

True (although I wasn't looking at an A4 - it was the A5).

When I first saw the XF I did think it was too big but after a test drive I convinced myself it was the right size. I'm glad I did, the 3 Series and C class would have been too small. Funnily enough I have always thought the 5 series a massive car but on paper the Jag is about the same.

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - rtj70

The 3 series and C class are quite small. Especially compared with something like a Mondeo or Insignia.

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - gordonbennet

Huge car and as RTJ says more comparable to the larger competition, where accomodation and boot space would have been similar.

How do you find ride quality over our fine third world roads, i assume you're on 18/19" wheels or does your spec give you 20".

Superb engine and a proper gearbox if an unusual control k(can't say a certain word for something found on a door it'll probably get bleeped), hope it continues to please, can't argue with that fuel economy either.

How do you find ride quality over our fine third world roads, i assume you're on 18/19" wheels or does your spec give you 20".

Comes with 19" as standard - very comfortable and quiet ride.

Edited by csgmart on 19/03/2010 at 13:35

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - idle_chatterer

I think that these are simply lovely cars, I drive a leased 330D and tend not to bother with toys but the look and feel of the XF is amazing. My problem is that the BIK tax is too much for me to bear (psychologically) so I'll probably default to a 5 Series or E Class next time, particularly as I'll probably go for an estate.

It is the only car which tempts me to 'opt out' and run my own car, maybe when there are a few 12 month old pre-owned ones about I will, you have made an excellent choice anyhow - good luck with it. What colour is it ?

It is the only car which tempts me to 'opt out' and run my own car, maybe when there are a few 12 month old pre-owned ones about I will, you have made an excellent choice anyhow - good luck with it. What colour is it ?

Thank you - I love it. Colour is liquid silver. a bit boring I know but it suits the car well and with all the miles I do, black and some of the darker colours, would have been a problem as the car gets dirty very quickly. White is absolutely stunning too but again not really an option for me alas.

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - Geordie1

csgmart...

Delighted that your XF is all that you hoped it would be. I am also an XF Forum member (Derek) going through the excrutiating self inflicted pain of having decided to wait for the anticipated facelift model (hopefully due 2011 / 2012) and intend to opt for the diesl 'S' model with the marginally increased bhp.

Edited by Geordie1 on 19/03/2010 at 14:51

csgmart...

Delighted that your XF is all that you hoped it would be. I am also an XF Forum member (Derek) going through the excrutiating self inflicted pain of having decided to wait for the anticipated facelift model (hopefully due 2011 / 2012) and intend to opt for the diesl 'S' model with the marginally increased bhp.

From what I've heard (probably same as you) it might be 2012 or even 2013 before the XF gets a facelift....

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - Slightlyfatdirector

I was at the Vale Hotel in Cardiff for the past few days on business. This seems to be a regular haunt of the Welsh Rugby team (this is the place the golf buggy got nicked from when one of the players got the munchies after one of their recent wins) and yesterday they had 11 XF's and 4 XK's parked up outside, all on new '10 plates in a range of colours. They looked fabulous!!

I guess they were about to be handed over to the players for a years drive as part of some sponsorship deal I guess.

They did look fab.

Having sat in the new XJ a few weeks ago (I am in the JEC Jag club because of my 2nd car, an XJ-S Convertible) the XF seemed less special (that is because the XJ is truly stunning, so stylish and modern inside), but compared with my 5 series BM which drives well but is ultra sterile to sit in, the Jag XF is by far the nicer car.

One of the main reasons why the Jag will stay a rare sight is the range of engines.

Sure, I would love the 3.0 diesel which goes like the clappers, but I would WaNT that in any car. Wanting and realistically getting are two different things though. If you look at the boot of 90% of any 5 series, a6 or equivalent Merc you will see that they are nearly all 2.0 diesels. This is due to very low co2 and high mpg which makes them so attractive to business users.

My company BMW 520d Estate / Touring is under 150 g/co2 (less than many astra-sized cars) and I can get over 50mpg on a run from the south coast near Eastbourne to Wrexham in north Wales. and it can still do 0-60 in well under 9 seconds and 139mph.

If Jaguar offered a high power 2.0 / 2.2 (the 2.0 in the latest 5 series has over 180bhp) they would be selling them faster than they could make them. and from my perspective, if they had an estate too it would be the next car I buy. Come on Jaguar, give us a big XF estate! Don't leave us with V70's, 5 series, a6's and E classes to chose from!

One of the main reasons why the Jag will stay a rare sight is the range of engines.

I believe that this is a deliberate move by Jaguar - they are not looking to go back into the volume market again (like they did with the X Type), so I doubt they will ever offer a dramatically increased range of engines. an estate would be a nice touch though.

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - Avant

"Come on Jaguar, give us a big XF estate! Don't leave us with V70's, 5 series, a6's and E classes to choose from! "

and Skoda Superbs.....

Unfortunately the XF 3.0 diesel 275 now has an enemy, in the form of the bit more expensive BMW F10 530d.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/road-tests/bmw/bmw-f10-5...s

HJ

Well, each to his own.

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - cattleman6

Unfortunately the XF 3.0 diesel 275 now has an enemy, in the form of the bit more expensive BMW F10 530d.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/road-tests/bmw/bmw-f10-5...s

HJ

Well, each to his own.

The XF is by far the best looking saloon car out on the road. I look with amazement at it's beautiful design whenever I see one. Ian Callum is an amazing designer.

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - disbeliever

What is your mpg in town ?

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - daveyjp

New eU co2 emission regs will dictate how car companies operate. Mass producers will need a wide range of vehicles to get the co2 average down to 120g/km or less.

Jaguar is a low output company therefore has a less onerous co2 limit to work towards and can therefore continue providing for a niche market.

if it widens its appeal it may increase sales and push it over the sales required to have to meet the 120g/km - something it would be difficult to meet if it wants to keep offering supercharged V8s!

as for mpg round town - those i know with the 2.7 V6 get low 20s.

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - MyWhiteXF

Hi! I am a lucky b****** with the XF. I have an white XF with 2.7 diesel engine purchased received in end March 2008. Pratically my XF is one of the first that came out and was the 2nd XF in Romania. The first one was a demo version sent to the Romanian authorized importer. When I saw the car in Dec 2007 I went to Jag and told them I pay any price to be the first driver in Romania with XF.

It is worth it every dime. I tell you, the car is the best in its class. The new 3.0D (I will order one in Aug for my wife, I will be moving to the new XJ in Oct or Nov) has a huge tech difference than the old 2.7 BUT I love my 2.7 Jag and FOR SURE is making you STATUS higher than a BMW, Merc owner. After more than 2 year in a parking lot my white pretty jag is a heads turner even if is put near a new E-klass or EVEN if is near the new 5-series (by the way, this new 5-series is oldish than the older one, my opinion).

Regarding the interior, options, specs - the premium luxury has a lot of things that on a Merc or BMW pay extra at least 3-4k Euro and the dash leather, rich oak wood interior and the aluminium dash are making it a glam b****.

Please, until you want to buy an E or 5-series go to Jag and drive the 3.0 . Feel the suspensions , are better configured for sport-luxury than the 5-series . Also, until you decide, first go in the night and see the interior of an XF and after of the E or 5-series. You will got in love.

BTW the XJ is a S-klass, 7-series killer. I never thought that a car like this will ever come up. It is made for my taste .

Question : What XF forum? Where?

BYE

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - Geordie1

XF forum at http://www.xfforum.co.uk

Edited by Geordie1 on 06/05/2010 at 22:35

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - JaguarJon

Hi, in reply to your question what XF Forum? The original and I think busiest dedicated Jaguar XF forum is http://www.xfforum.com

I think it is now part of a bigger Jaguar Forum including the new Jaguar XJ at:

http://www.jaguar-car-forum.com

There's plenty of discussion on the Jaguar XF 3.0D through actual owners (I am one of them) of the car and reviews.

Hope this helps.

Jon.

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - motorprop

Is it the only XF in Tenderei ( Romania ) ??

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - Steven Quas

I'm considering switching to an XF from an A6. Glad to hear you're happy with it.

I would suggest taking a real measurement of consumption by brim filling twice as not all computers can be trusted.

You think you see an endless number of BMW, Audi and Mercs....

Steven Quas , Hamburg !

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - the grim reaper

I was lucky enough to get a new car almost 3 weeks ago - a beautiful Jaguar XF 3.0D Premium Luxury.

I had an S Type a few years back but the XF is nothing like the Jags of old. This is pure class and modern technology which actually works. I tried a number of different cars before chosing the Jag. Audi A5 Sportsback, Merc C250 and BMW 330D but the Jag won the day easily.

As standard all XFs come with a host of items which would all be cost options on most of the opposition. I can honestly say that it was by far the best car.

After almost 3 weeks the engine has been run in and I'm now starting to explore the capabilities of the engine and gearbox. Wow is all I can say...

For a 3 litre engine I am averaging 36.3 MPG over 2,400 miles with one journey showing an average of 51.4 MPG (all figures from the onboard computer).

The boot is simply huge and you can even fold down the rear seats to make the space frankly astonishing.

One other factor swung the decision for me - the relative exclusivity of the XF. On my 120 mile round trip to work and back I see an almost endless number of BMW, Audi and Merc but hardly any other XFs. For those looking for a change - try a test drive in an XF and I bet it won't be what you expected.

Indeed, just got a 2014 2.2 163ps, mostly good so far. Did you ever measure actual mps on a brim to brim fill as opposed to checing the car computer? mine currently reading 42 against 38 actual, would be good to see if other see same difference.

Jaguar XF - Review - 3.0D - oldtoffee

Just read through this with interest as I fancy a diesel Jag then I spotted the dates. Amused that the OP considered the engine run in after 3 weeks - most diesels I have owned have finally felt "run-in" at 20k to 50k miles.