Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - Mike H

I potentially need to hire an estate or people carrier to transport a large item from the UK to Austria. I need something with a load length of a minimum of 2 metres. What seemed like a simple piece of information seems impossible to find on several manufacturers websites I tried. I don't want a van. I want something that is fairly common and likely to pop up on hire car fleets - candidates I considered were a Passat, Insignia or Laguna estate. I can see that a Galaxy has around 2.1 metres but I need to find a company that hires one out.

There is a slight complication in that I need to hire the car in Austria as I live there, so I need to find a car that is available in Austria on the "for hire" list. A Passat estate is an eye-watering 800 euros for 10 days so I'm trying to find the smallest (read cheapest) car with the longest load area. Any ideas?

Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - rtj70

You are not guaranteed the exact vehicle though. You might hire a Passat sized car and get a Mondeo. Which is bigger (but longer?)

Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - AndyT

The Nissan Note, and Ford Fusion, both have flat folding front passenger seats, giving somewhere in the region of 2.4m I believe. Depends what the other dimensions of the load are though.

Don't laugh, but it's a shower cubicle with two glass panels and a base unit. The long dimension is needed for the height of the panels. One is curved and will be fairly bulky. UK cost of the cubicle/tray is £249 - Austrian prive will be at least 1000 euros - hence the thought of bringing from the UK!

Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - gordonbennet

Vectra estate, probably the longest of the lot, possibly Chevrolet Lacetti estate, seems huge for it's price but i don't know dimensions.

as you said, not easy to find dimensions online.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/03/2010 at 18:34

Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - tanvir

Maybe buy a 10 year old Omega estate or something and sell it when you get back...? Not exactly a hassle free option though.

Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - Avant

The Mondeo or Vectra are the most likely to be on hire fleets.

Just a lateral thought - what would the same equipment cost nearer home - say Hungary or Czech Republic? In the latter you could probably hire a Skoda.

Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - colinh
Skoda Superb Estate - 2.85m with front passenger seat back flattened but overall floor is not flat

The Mondeo or Vectra are the most likely to be on hire fleets.

Just a lateral thought - what would the same equipment cost nearer home - say Hungary or Czech Republic? In the latter you could probably hire a Skoda.

I like the thinking - we were going to check out the cost in Germany as well, as some things are significantly cheaper there. I gather a lot of the Austrians rush over the Hungarian border for their electrical goods. I'll check it out.

Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - bristol01

Mike,

Re. the Galaxy, have you contacted your local Ford dealer to see if they hire them out? They might, though that option could be expensive. Failing that you could pop into Ford, Vauxhall, VW garages to measure the length of the floor. Bit of a hassle though. How much would it be to get the thing sent by courier?

Mike,

Re. the Galaxy, have you contacted your local Ford dealer to see if they hire them out? They might, though that option could be expensive. Failing that you could pop into Ford, Vauxhall, VW garages to measure the length of the floor. Bit of a hassle though. How much would it be to get the thing sent by courier?

Not checked - but the initial UK delivery is a two man job and the whole kit is rated at 70kg. We had some curtain poles sent over from the UK because it was more cost effective - Austrian price >€900, UK price £490 + £85 carriage and they were relativelt light but bulky. I suspect that, as there is a lot of glass involved, there could be a problem finding a courier prepared to take the risk, and the carriage insurance would be a must!

Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - movilogo

Volvo V70?

Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - veryoldbear

Very difficult. I wanted to load something in my Saab 95 estate and it's only 1650 mm flat on the floor. It'll take about 1800 mm with the load up on the folded seats. I would suggest that you might want to think roof-rack with plenty of wrapping.

Very difficult. I wanted to load something in my Saab 95 estate and it's only 1650 mm flat on the floor. It'll take about 1800 mm with the load up on the folded seats. I would suggest that you might want to think roof-rack with plenty of wrapping.

Snap - I also have a 9-5 estate. I did consider a roof rack, but I think the glass will be bulky as it's on a curve - not sure I fancy driving half way across Europe with it on the roof....anyway, the problem has been resolved - for a tad under £200 (almost the same price as the cubicle), we can get it shipped over by the retailers. So problem solved, thanks to all who replied.

Help needed - long load floor in estate/MPV - loskie

Volvo Dealers have a hire facility you could specifically hire a V70. Alternatively you could get a quote from a courier like DHL or TNT who will have insurance cover for such an item.