Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - Surrey_Scientist
I can't help noticing how many Volvo ads there seem to be featuring the new(ish) C30 on TV (particualrly satellite/Cable)

yet I have only ever seen 2 on the road !

Does this mean it is not selling and why would that be ???

Edit: Edited the title to say Volvo instead of Citroen, Rob

Edited by rtj70 on 20/02/2010 at 15:31

Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - movilogo
I too have not seen any Volvo C30 on road, yet Volvo claims it is their best selling model under scrappage.

The rear of the car looks ugly.
Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - R2-CMax
I too have not seen any Volvo C30 on road, yet Volvo claims it is their best selling model under scrappage. >> >> The rear of the car looks ugly. >>

If true, I expect it's all the people who bought big V70s to carry their kids about in 10 years ago. Now, they're empty nesters or something!

I see quite a few on my commute, although they are unmistakeable from behind. I quite like them and I certainly prefer a world where designers tried something different.

Volvo are on my wife's car scheme and the leasing & BIK costs are very tempting on the Drive 1.6 diesels and on paper look like a good way to get a well-equipped, comfortable and frugal car.
Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - Hamsafar
I see quite a few round here, it is better looking than the Ford C-Max on which it is based.
Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - barney100
I like them and have seen a few on the road, swmbo likes them too. I think the rear end looks good but then beauty is in the eye etc. I've always liked Volvos and to date have had.....340, 240 saloon and estate, two 480s and now a V70. I just don't get on with the local dealer so I use indies. If Volvo were making false advertising claims would not the ad standard people be on to them?
Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - ifithelps

Poor packaging put me off the C30.

Very little room for the driver, particularly in the pedal box, and a tiny luggage bay.

And they were lots of money.

Pay more for less? I don't think so.

Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - theterranaut
My in-laws have just bought one- think it was £18k for a 2.0D with a fairly high spec (can't remember exact name.)

Funnily enough, he has always disparaged my love of Fords- trots out the old "fix or repair daily" etc line despite not knowing one end of a spanner from the other.

As we run a C-Max and a Mazda 3, I remarked that he was in good company as all 3 cars are now based on the C1 platform, and went on to extol the excellent handling etc. What a face he pulled when he realised he'd spent the best part of 20k on a 'partial' Ford, the marque he despises (though he's never owned one, natch.)

He's now went on further and has now 'found' some website that says its an all-Volvo original design- cant find the website now though, mysteriously...

tt
...that says its an all-Volvo original design...

Tripe, as you know - it's a rebodied Focus.

If you really want to annoy him, ask him about the luggage cover on his C30.

It is one of the cheapest, nastiest bits of plastic you will see.

My 'bag for life' from Tescos is made of sturdier stuff.
Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - Pugugly
At least it looks a bit different from the ubiquity of the Focus and I suppose if you wanted Focus engineering in a different package it's a good car to own.
...At least it looks a bit different from the ubiquity of the Focus...

True, that's why I had a look at one.

I just couldn't live the tiny boot - same problem with the Mini.

Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - M.M
It had struck me that the loss in practicality compared with a normal hatch isn't really offset by a massive gain in style. Back in the early 70s when the original Volvo P1800ES came out all the saloons were obviously ordinary saloons and the 1800ES, Reliant Scimitar, Triumph Stag etc really stood out as sports styling.

Theses days the standard hatches already have some pretty good/sporty styling and the C30 doesn't advance this trend enough to offset the Fiesta sized interior.

For my taste the look of the rear quarters under the tail lights is far too chunky.

Compare with the more delicate design of the original P1800ES where the rear design has its roots...

u1.ipernity.com/3/08/70/1010870.261c865e.560.jpg

...Compare with the more delicate design of the original P1800ES...

And it's got a decent sized boot - not that I wish to harp on, or anything. :)
Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - Rattle
With in laws like that I hope that family meals are a rearity, if they were my inlaws I may end up getting arrested for GBH.

I would just leave him to it, he wants to spend £20k on some chineese based Ford made in Sweden let him :).

I have nothing against Volvo btw, I like the brand but he is a classic example of the car snob.
Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - Alby Back
I simply adore that old P1800ES. Want one.
Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - corax
What a fantastic looking thing. Such a world apart from the faceless designs today.
Volvo C30 - is it not selling - Loads of TV Adverts - WorkshopTech
We are only 1/2 mile from Volvo dealer and Ive not seen many C30s so I cant see how they can claim to be selling well.
Weve never had one in the workshop, but I know the lads at the volvo dealer dont particularly rate them and reckon they are a lot flimsier than volvo of old.