Renault Laguna tourer 2.0 Dci 150 - Renault Laguna..did they ever get it right? - lucklesspedestrian
Hi there,

Still engaged in the hunt for a new car.

Noticed that used Lagunas tend to look good value (on the surface anyway).

Obviously I'm aware of the reliability issues and the low ranking in the JD power surveys but they fit the bill for a refined comfy cruiser. Noticed a low mileage 2006 (56) 150 Dci tourer on AT for 6K. That seems like a lot of car for the money.

I was wondering if the backroomers had an opinion on whether Renault ever truly got the Laguna sorted out by the 2006 facelift. HJ's car by car certainly seems to suggest this, or are they still moneypits to be avoided at all costs?

thanks in advance......
Renault Laguna tourer 2.0 Dci 150 - Renault Laguna..did they ever get it right? - Altea Ego
After 2003 they sorted a fair amount out. Ok its never gonna be of japanese levels of reliability, but the 2006 should be ok.

Just change the oil every 6k miles, and thrash it regularly to clean it out and it should be ok. And when its running, the DcI is a peach of an engine.

Mind out for a funny clutch feel, or a whine in 6th.
Renault Laguna tourer 2.0 Dci 150 - Renault Laguna..did they ever get it right? - DP
I agree with AE. Renault dCi engines make most others feel agricultural and primitive. They are unbelievably smooth, and rev very sweetly without any of the deep growling you normally associated with diesels.

I had a 2004 Scenic 1.9dCi which became horribly unreliable around 60,000 miles, although was fine until then. Mostly electrical problems, but a major clutch failure which cost four figures to repair. This is the other consideration with Renaults. It's not so much the frequency of faults, but what they cost to put right. Parts prices can be eye watering, and on the Scenic at least, no consideration had been given at the design stage to maintenance and repair, making every job very long, complex and expensive. 9 hrs to change a clutch being a classic example!

As products, Renaults are lovely cars with comfort and NVH levels that many premium brands can't get close to. I would have another, but not out of warranty.