06 1.9 Blower not working on 4 - tommo1888
Hello, Could someone please help me with this. I bought a used Renault Scenic 2 weeks ago from a reputable, although not Renault, dealer. However, yesterday I got into my car and noticed that the blower does not work on setting number 4. It is fine on 1, 2 and 3 though. I drove to work, about 20 miles, with it still set at 4 and all of a sudden it started working again. Then on the way home it stopped and has not started again since. I have read the other posts on this site about it possibly be the resistor. My question though, is whether this problem will get worse? If it will remain working on 1, 2 and 3 then I can live with it. However, if it is going to gradually get worse I am going to have to go back to the garage and argue with them on the conditions of their warranty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Simon
06 1.9 Blower not working on 4 - piston power
Don't argue with them but do give them a chance to fix it for you.

It's not a new car some 4 yrs old so things do go wrong as it's intermitent it may be a loose wire something simple.
Thanks, I have emailed them about it - so hopefully they will sort it. My only concern is whether the fault would get worse (if it's a problem with the resistor). I'm more than happy to continue with 3 settings, but if there is a chance that it will steadily get worse, I would like it sorted whilst it is under warranty, instead of waiting for a cold frosty morning to find I have no heating in the car!! :)
Without knowing the full problem how can i say if it will get worse but you need it fixing rather than getting up on a frosty morning at -2 to find NO blowers working now that would be worse.!
Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. I have read a lot of posts about a known fault with the resistor, which shows the blower not working at setting 4. My question is......if it is this well known problem that is the issue with my car will the problem get worse, or is it just a case that setting 4 will not work. I obviously want to have the car fixed, however, if as stated in my original post, the Garage state the heating system is not part of their warranty, then I don't really have the funds, after spending £6000 last week to repair it unless it is absolutely necessary.
I am not really asking for an in depth diagnosis, but rather am putting forth a hypothesis - If the problem is the resistor will it get worse?
The resistor controls the heater blower settings so at the moment a component has failed in the circuit so no4 blower is not working, but you say it's intermitent so it may not be the resistor pack it may be a loose connection on the switch.

Without the aid of a crystal ball i just can't see your problem sorry.

It may get worse then again it may not the wire may come loose and short out and set the car on fire or it may not, it's got a fault simple it's under warranty take it back.!

It's like saying there is a roof slate blown off my house will the wind get under it and blow all the rest off?

Edited by bigtee on 13/02/2010 at 14:37

06 1.9 Blower not working on 4 - Firefly88

This is a common problem that will get worse, and you should get it looked at asap or you could end up with a fire in the car.

Almost certainly it is the resistor pack and its loom connector that need replaced.

Its an easy diy job, parts less than £50