Mondeo mk3 estate or Landcruiser Colorado? - Chad.R
I've been running a '03 mk3 Mondeo TDCI (130) Estate in Ghia X spec for the last 20 months - I brought it at 107k, the car has now done almost 128k and just before Christmas the DMF/Clutch went and the DMF, clutch and slave cylinder were all replaced. The 3rd gear syncro also seems worn and it crunches every now and then when selecting 3rd gear. Also the starter may need to be replaced as it still "clicks" occasionally rather than turn over - this is usually to do with swarf from the DMF clogging the starter and it needs to be cleaned or replaced to resolve. This is not a huge issue as it always starts 2nd or 3rd time.

Overall the car has been OK but there always seem to be something going wrong, usually minor niggles but tiresome nonetheless. I'm now just waiting for the injectors to play up as that is probably the next big thing to fail. The car still drives well (albeit with the 3rd gear issue) and I get around 45mpg brim-to-brim in mainly urban/extra urban driving and M'way around 50mpg. I'm about to MoT it, so lets assume it has 12 months MoT.

A week or so back, I've also bought back (on a bit of a whim) my "old" '98 Landcruiser Colorado 3.4l Auto in "VX" spec. I owned this car for almost 5 years/50k, then sold it to a work colleague about 12 months ago - so know it's history well. In the time it's been away, it has had a LPG conversion by a reputable convertor and done 20k with no issues. The total mileage is now 126k. The car is in good overall condition but will require a major service to include the cambelt (2nd change) and all fluids etc very soon. The car consistently does around 22-23mpg on petrol and about 19-20mpg on LPG. It currently has around 9 months MoT.

Given that the Mondeo has a couple of faults - the starter can be replaced for £150, though the 3rd gear syncro will need more, selling it "as is" may become an issue. I've grown used to the 3rd gear issue now but I would imagine it would bother a new owner and may even put them off. The Landcruiser on the other hand will also require around £400-500 in servicing just to get it back in tip-top nick.

The dilemma I have is which to keep and which to sell ? Nominally they are both very similar in value (£3-3.5k). Both cars fit my requirements as a daily driver and family (of 5) car but I can really only justify keeping 1 - my heart says Landcruiser, my head says Mondeo. My annual mileage is only around 12k, so fuel consumption does not impact too much.

What would you do?

P.S. I have thought about selling both and getting a "decent" car! ;-0

Mondeo mk3 estate or Landcruiser Colorado? - CraigP
Landcruiser. Every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The Mondeo will be scrap in another 5 years, mk3 starting to look dated already. The LC will still be bringing a smile to your face (if potentially not your wallet...) in 5 years and these machines never really "age", they're not common enough to have that boredom effect.
Mondeo mk3 estate or Landcruiser Colorado? - smilleynially
Sell them both and, with the money and your humble mileage, buy a newer petrol Mondeo Ghia X estate. Treat yourself and get the 3.0 v6 model to win your heart over too ;-)

Okay, Okay I'm just trying to live out my humble car fantasy through you!

Nial
Mondeo mk3 estate or Landcruiser Colorado? - Chad.R
Thanks for the repsonses - now that I've had time to "sleep on it" and thinking rationally, I'm sort of on CraigP's side; the Mondeo has already cost me a bundle and it was supposed to be the cheap/budget option. Given the age and mileage more expensive repairs may crop up. The Landcruiser on the other hand has only ever needed "service" items and nothing else. Even if something did go wrong - the car is relatively low tech and therefore repairs are cheaper.

SN - If I was going to go for a 3.0 6 cyl - it would have to be a E39 530i Sport :-)
- I'm still toying with the idea. The real stumbling block is that I'd love the saloon but it isn't as flexible as either current cars. And I'm not so keen on the Touring version, though I wouldn't say no, if the right car turned up.

Cheers,