02 1.6 boot wont catch when shut - poormansfoor
Hi - I have a 2002 Clio and last night the door open light was on when I was driving home. Checked all the doors and it was the boot ~ the boot catch won't engage when its shut ~ the door stays down but just bounces and the closing mechanism won't engage.

A couple of years ago I had a small rear end shunt that was repaired and I notice that the U shaped catch attached to the body work moves up and down and wondered if it was that? But I had read some where that is meant to move?

Any advice as to what the problem might be would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/02/2010 at 10:15

02 1.6 Clio boot wont catch when shut - I'm a Pane
Think this is the same as my Megane, and every now and again mine does this as well. Yes the catch is meant to move. I usually find that moving it back and forth a couple of times, then a good slam of the hatch does the trick! Not scientific I know but then it is a Renault and the whole design is somewhat 'basic' to say the least. Also worth checking that the rubber seal around the hatch has not come away - this has also happened to me and given the same result.
02 1.6 Clio boot wont catch when shut - poormansfoor
Thanks Everest Pete. Tried that but no Joy. Closer inspection makes me think its a broken catch on the tailgate - its loose and not engaging.

Anyone know if this is an easy part to replace or would I be better goping to a garage?

Thanks
02 1.6 boot wont catch when shut - alwaysclio

I have just had the same problem and have just dismantled the boot catch mechanism. I think this is faulty and has nothing to do with the solenoid or the central locking system. I think the fixed hook moving is normal.