Worth a shot? - mattbod
My sister is looking for an suv like this for her growing family. It seems great value in auto guise and the engine spec looks fantastic with 194bhp and 322 lb ft from only a 2.2. Only thing that stops me pointing her in its direction would be crazy depreciation as John and Autocar (only journos I take heed of) really rate it.

Will this thing nosedive in value?
Worth a shot? - WorkshopTech
We service some of these, older model. They are OK cars, not really my cup of tea because I prefer something that handles well, and very few SUV;s do. But if you want a small SUV they seem fine, the only problem we have seen on Kia/Hyundai is occassional fuel pump troubles on the diesels seem to be around 50-70k miles, which cost a bob or two to fix. Timing belts on the V6 diesels are a pain.
Otherwise they are good motors.

Cant comment on depreciation but I dont thing any SUV will hold its value tremendously well.

If you want something biggish and economical then try the diesel Kia Magentis or Hyundai Sonata saloon cars, they are basically the same car underneath. Can get a nearly new one very cheap and they seem to keep going and going and going. They are not the worlds best handling car, but certainly no worse than the Santa Fe.
Worth a shot? - gordonbennet
I like these a lot and would consider one or it's sister the new Sorento.

A friend has one (Limited, very plush) and loves it but he's a Hyundai devotee who part ex'd his Trajet for it and neither has gone wrong, he says the Santa Fe has a surprising turn of speed and good handling to support it especially over rough roads which it thrives on.

I think i'd hang fire till later in the year, 4x4's seem to be unusually in favour at the moment possibly due to the weather and the farm tracks that pass as A roads these days.

Once the summers arrived and normal anti 4x4 rhetoric is resumed then prices should be stabilising.
Maybe worth hanging fire till next year anyway, as these are a new model prices will be at a premium.

I've looked at used examples of the earliest new shape Santa Fe's, they don't seem to be plummeting in price, maybe that 100K warranty is helping.
Worth a shot? - carl_a
>>Only thing that stops me pointing her in its direction would be crazy depreciation as John >>and Autocar (only journos I take heed of) really rate it.

Yes but only when you look at percentage, which is not a good way unless all cars are sold at RRP and cost the same. As they don't you should look in cash terms and when you do you'll find Hyundai have some of the lowest depreciating cars while cars that are supposed to be great at holding value are actually terrible.

My car, a Mitsubishi Colt has kept 46% of its RRP value after 3 1/2 years but an actually loses of £2500

A VW Polo will retain about 52% of its RRP value but the actual loss is almost twice as much at around £4700

The key to depreciation is not to spend the money in the first place

Edited by carl_a on 11/02/2010 at 21:52

Worth a shot? - Bill Payer
If you're looking at buying new then get a PCP quote. The Guaranteed Final Value will be pitched as high as they dare to make the PCP as cheap as possible, so that will give you an idea of how much the car will be worth.

The salesperson will tell you the car will be worth more than the GFV. Ask him/her to put that in writing.
Worth a shot? - Lygonos
But then don't actually buy with a PCP... as you'll be paying interest on that full GFV for the whole term of the finance.

It is also worth seeing what lease companies offer such vehicles as their business model relies upon a good idea of the future value of the product.
Worth a shot? - primeradriver
The key to depreciation is not to spend the money in the first place

Never a truer word said.
Worth a shot? - gordonbennet
Saw a new (black) Sorento in the flesh today...looks good imo and the engine was remarkably quiet at cold tickover.
Worth a shot? - corax
Saw a new shape Hyundai Sonata diesel taxi yesterday at some traffic lights. Sounded very quiet and refined moving off.