K Reg Astra, Overheated, now what? - Flish
I have a K Reg 1.4 Astra LS that has been a dream car, up till tonight.

Had been stuck in traffic (moved about 100m) for 20 mins, and as is the norm the temperature gauge crept up to half way care of not moving. I didn't notice it go any higher, and assumed that the rad fan had kicked in to keep the car cool.

5 mins after got moving properly I thought I could smell burning in the air, wasn't sure it it was outside, or another car, but within 20m smoke appeared from under bonnet so I pulled over.

Turns out the oil was v.low, so kicked myself as normally good at checking, but at same time confused as had been topped up in the last month, and definately wasy beyond it's normal consumption. Also have no reason to suspect a leak. However, left the car for 20 mins anf topped up with Oil. Turned over and all was fine, no more smoke, temp fine, quite happy.

Except, now the brake fluid indicator (!) and battery lights are stuck on? Brake Fluid is fine, and more importantly brakes are working fine. Battery should also be ok cos lights etc were all off when I was under the bonnet, so very little excess drain. Any ideas?

I since, carefully, have driven the car home and got someone to follow me. It was a 20min drive and all seeems fine, except these lights still on. All happened as above, so somewhat confused as to the relation, and what the problem is, and how urgent (Can't get to garage before Saturday)

All help greatfully received (unless I've knacked it, in which case I'll cry)

TIA
K Reg Astra, Overheated, now what? - John Davis
Those warning lights, staying on, might indicate a fault with the alternator, ie, not charging. Is the drive belt still intact ? If the problem was during the day, with no headlights, it might not have been noticed. The overheating is a mystery but, others more knowledgeable might be able to throw some light on the problem
K Reg Astra, Overheated, now what? - Bromptonaut
Is the oil and overall temperature a red herring; was the smoke associated with an alternator fault eg seized bearings and or belt slipping?
K Reg Astra, Overheated, now what? - Flish
Is the oil and overall temperature a red herring; was the
smoke associated with an alternator fault eg seized bearings and or
belt slipping?

>>

Hmm, prods thought. Over the last week or so there has been a lot of 'squealing' from under the bonnet, mainly in v.wet / cold weather, and when pulling away. Although has been silent today. Something you here quite a lot, especially in older cars.

Have to admit to being lax on this, I knew it was 'a belt' problem, and intend(ed) to get it looked at, but last weekend wasn't an option.

I'm showing my ignorance, but would this not stop the car from going? And either way I assume this is a drive no more bar going to the garage sort of fault?

TIA
K Reg Astra, Overheated, now what? - HF
When my Astra's brake fluid and battery lights stayed on it turned out to be a broken drivebelt. Wouldn't dream of beginning to offer technical advice (!) but maybe you could check if it's the same problem as mine.
HF
K Reg Astra, Overheated, now what? - Dave_TD
Wahey! See, HF, you're learning fast! ;o)

Definitely sounds like a completely loose / snapped alternator drive belt. You can drive it, but by doing so you'll drain the battery as it will be supplying the ignition system, so I recommend fitting a new drivebelt first.
K Reg Astra, Overheated, now what? - rg
Any mechanical noise, loss of coolant, loss of power, "pinking" noise when driving prior to smoke?

rg