New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - janliv18
We have an 04 reg Vectra DTI thats getting on a bit now and has clocked up 180k miles.
Looking to replace with a similar sized car and have narrowed it down to two that I like.

Mondeo 2.2 Titanium X TDCI 09 Reg £15700 with approx 10k miles
New Octavia VRS TDI - Brand New £16278 inc met paint.

I?ve driven the Octavia and its a great car, seems well screwed together, the ride is quite firm. I have yet to drive a 2.2 Mondeo, I drove a 1.8tdci not long ago and found it rather flat, so I'm hoping the 2.2 will be a lot stronger.

Depreciation according to What car will mean the Skoda is worth £8226 and the Mondeo will be worth £7668 in three years, even though the list on the Mondeo is around £8000 more!

Fuel consumption is around the same, the Skoda does a little better at 49mpg as apposed to the Mondeo's 45mpg, although the Mondeo does have more torque at 295lbs as to the Skoda's 258lbs.

They both do the 0-60 in 8.4 seconds. And both have similar levels of kit, with the Mondeo having a few extra toys but Im not too fussed about that.

I'd appreciate peoples views on these two cars.

Thanks.

New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - M.M
Octavia will probably have better real life fuel consumption, it may well last longer and never show any signs of rust even to a decade old, it has a more traditional quality feel and may well sell better in a few years.

Mondeo is noticeably larger for carrying people if that matters and the ride should seem better overall.

Two good cars... your choice really.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - janliv18
I have heard a few reports on this forum of people not getting the correct published Ford MPG figures but hear only good reports on the VAG MPG figures so something to think about.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - cheddar

The Mondeo looks much better, will have a much better ride/handling combo and the engine will feel a lot stronger (day to day rather than 0-60) despite offering MPG in the same realm.

New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - ijws15
To counter the above . .

The Octavia looks much better.

Mondeo is far bigger outside for litle gain inside and from some angles looks awful, I think one person designed the front three quarters of the car and another designed the rear quarter - each with no knowledge of what the other was doing.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - Armstrong Sid
The Octavia looks much better.
Mondeo is far bigger outside for litle gain inside and from some angles looks awful
I think one person designed the front three quarters of the car and another designed
the rear quarter - each with no knowledge of what the other was doing.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks that. I think the current Mondeo looks very ugly and rear-heavy from all angles. And to prove it's the rear end which causes the problem, I think the estate version looks particularly good.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - tyro
>>The Mondeo looks much better

>>The Octavia looks much better.

Good grief. Why are people telling the OP which car looks better? Surely he can see for himself which he prefers?

And anyways, if he was seriously concerned about the car's appearance, he'd be getting a Berlingo.

;-)
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - ijws15
Good grief. Why are people telling the OP which car looks better? Surely he can
see for himself which he prefers?

My point exactly - however the issue of interior versus exterior size IS relevant.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - Armstrong Sid
The OP said

>>I'd appreciate peoples views on these two cars.
>>

And people have expressed their views on them, which surely can include views on the physical appearance of said vehicle. The OP didn't say I'd appreciate peoples views but don't comment on what they look like.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - oldtoffee
janliv18 - both good cars, I'd only add that my 2000MY Mondeo was far quieter than my 2006 Octavia at motorway speeds. The Octavia suffered from a fair amount of tyre noise intrusion - a popular thread on Skoda forums with lots of discussion on swapping tyres to try to cure it. Might be a problem for a high mileage driver as you look to be.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - Bagpuss
The Mondeo is a much nicer car to drive. It has a more sophisticated feel than the Octavia, a better ride/ handling compromise and is quieter.

However it is also enormous and has the turning circle of a super tanker. Getting a hired Mondeo into my parking space in the underground car park where I live necessitated what felt like a 27 point turn, where my own car gets in in one go. Not sure I could live with that day to day to be honest.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - mattbod
The Mondeo new is also much more expensive. It's a fine car but big ( as big as the old Granada hatch). I think the Octavia 1.4 TSI is a terrific buy for under £ 15 k for the manual and would urge you to try that. Best thing about Skodas to me is they may be the cheap VAG option in VAG but are still beautifully made. Since owning mine I've come to expect the same solid thunk when you shut the door from other cars and been disappointed.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - maz64
I think the Octavia 1.4 TSI is a
terrific buy for under £ 15 k for the manual

£10.9k (S) up to £12.5k (Elegance) from drivethedeal
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - idle_chatterer
Both good cars, my only comment is that the Skoda lacks some safety equipment as standard on many models, possibly no ESP or curtain airbags unless you pay extra. I don't think these are pricey options but they'll probably mean a factory order if you feel you need them.

A real pity IMHO, cost savings which I guess many buyers don't notice (or consider important). Every Golf and every Mondeo has these features as standard.
the Skoda lacks some safety equipment as
standard on many models possibly no ESP or curtain airbags unless you pay extra

FWIW £375 £290
tinyurl.com/yj6uyyv
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - 659FBE
Ford are really good at showroom appeal and short term glitter.

Compare a 10 year old Ford with a 10 year VAG vehicle and there's no comparison in the way it drives, rusts or looks.

Skodas have lost none of the VAG virtues (good engines, galvanised bodies etc.) and have shown themselves to be well assembled and reliable.

Fords are beautifully marketed products of cost cutting Americans - and look like it when they get old.

New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - ablandy
buts he not buying a 10 year old car. Compare a 10 year old skoda with a new one. Quite different cars!

The new mondeo is about 3 years old (i think) so your point isnt relevant to the OP. What the OP should be doing on your theory is look at 3 year old mondeos and octavias and compare.

New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - cheddar
Compare a 10 year old Ford with a 10 year VAG vehicle and there's no
comparison >>

True, a 10 year old Ford will, with almost no exception, drive infinitely better (Focus v Golf/Octavia, Mondeo v Passat/A4 etc). and will also be more reliable and cheaper to repair not to mention more refined (PD v TDCi).

Yes old Kas rust though so do old Polos.

Note HJ's comments in his latest S-Max road test "you have to look at it against Audis, BMWs and Mercedes. Fords have long been equal or better than these cars under she skin, but now the evidence is tangibly there in the ambience of the cabin and the quality of the trim".

Edited by cheddar on 13/02/2010 at 16:24

New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - borasport20
I have a new Octavia 1.6 TDI CR, and after 3000 miles, the average consumption is 43 mpg.....

I hope that is very much down to the weather over Christmas and January, its looking more like 50ish over the last three tankfuls, but if that is what I get from a 1.6 that spends most of its time in 50mph roadworks on the motorway, I'd be surprised if you get anything like that out of a VRS, if it is driven to get the performance :-)
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - audiA6tdi
My partner has a TT TDI and on a long run gets around 50mpg. If you race it though then you will be lucky to see 40mpg. Great engine though.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - WorkshopTech
You are comparing apples and oranges. New Octavia vRS vs year old Mondeo with 10k on the clock.
My partner (business partner, not wife) has a 6 month old Mondeo 2.2 which I drive from time to time. I also had a vRS diesel up till late last year and still have a vRS TFSI petrol.
The Mondeo is a lot bigger on the outside than the octy and feels a bigger car when you drive it. There is more rear legroom in the modeo, and they both have a big boot.
The vRS is set up as a sporty car and the steering is quicker ratio and sharper than the Mondeo, and also quite a bit heavier.
The Mondeo is quieter and quite a bit softer ride than the vRS - the vRS is pretty firm.
Mondeo turning circle is large and visibility not very good and so quite awkward to park (and I am use to driving a Ford Ranger pick up a lot of the time).
Mondeo handles welll on open wide roads but feels a bit big and ponderous on narrower country roads and in town. The Octy is much better on winding and twisty stuff because it feels nimbler, but you do suffer a bit if the road is rough.
Unless you do more than about 15k a year then go for the TFSI petrol Octy. I have driven thousands of miles in different examples of both TDI and TFSI cars and the only advantage of the diesel is economy. The TFSI is a much better drive and the car even handles a bit better because the engine is lighter.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
No experience of a Mondeo, own a 2009 Octavia Elegance hatch, but I concur that the road noise in an Octavia is fairly high.
Also, the rear seats are not really suitable for 3 adults for any distance.But a test drive will pick that up. The large luggage boot is a real bonus in a small car (What Car's classification).
I'm getting 44mpg at present from my 2l PD TDi but got almost 50mpg in the warm weather.
Still well below the claimed figures.
The large luggage boot is a real bonus in
a small car (What Car's classification).

Presumably the classification is because it uses the Golf V chassis (according to CBCB).
Presumably the classification is because it uses the Golf V chassis (according to CBCB).

Yes, it is just a Golf V under the skin. All the important bits are just the same and it is very similar to drive.
The Golf has more soundproofing and so is quieter.
I prefer the front seats in the Octy because I am tall and I find they give more support and better suited to me than the ones in the Golf V.
Most noise in the Octy comes through the rear roadwheels. There is virtually no soundproofing in the boot in the vRS and under the back seat. Some owners cut a big piece of soundproffing felt and put it under the boot carpet and it makes a big difference. Same under the back seats.
Earlier models also suffered excess rear tyre noise due to too much neg camber and so rear neg camber was dropped half a degree (its easily adjustable).
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - Alanovich
Workshop Tech, what would you think to a 2006 (06) 1.9TDi, Classic spec Octavia, estate, 75k miles. Good buy for around £6k?

I ask as you seem to know a lot about the model.
Workshop Tech what would you think to a 2006 (06) 1.9TDi Classic spec Octavia estate
75k miles. Good buy for around £6k?

I am not too good on pricing, we have a guy who does the used car part of our business and he prices them up. Its doesn't sound particularly cheap for the year and miles but that depends whether its a retail or private buy and the condition of course. I suppose estates are a bit more in demand too.

We service loads of these and to be honest there is not much to say. Rust is not an issue on any MkII Octavia unless its had repairs. The engines are good for high miles if the oil has been changed and the right spec has been used.
They are solid cars and its not for nothing they are a popular taxi.

Do the usual checks, clutch, turbo and all electrics.

The classic spec is a bit basic.
A lot will depend if its been a working car or not - if its been run by a photocopy engineer or someting then it could be a bit rough. Some of these guys can be really hard on a car, up and down kerbs, you know the sort of thing.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - Alanovich
Some of these guys can be really hard on a car up and down kerbs
you know the sort of thing.

Thanks, WT. This car's got the DSG gearbox too.

It has a phone cradle installed, so it must have been used by some kind of travelling technician or other. I think I'll give it a swerve.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - Felix
Most noise in the Octy comes through the rear roadwheels. There is virtually no soundproofing
in the boot in the vRS and under the back seat. Some owners cut a
big piece of soundproffing felt and put it under the boot carpet and it makes
a big difference. Same under the back seats.

You've just mentioned the vRS, but do you think the same would apply to a post F/L Elegance? If there were any easy measures I could take to reduce the road noise I might try it. Fine on smooth tarmac but quite annoying at times, e.g. the concrete on the M25. It's a shame because other noise seems very low, the 1.4TSI is very quiet at all speeds and not much wind noise.
I think I've also heard that tyre choice can have an effect?
Well I have only driven one of the newest shape Octys, a FL vRS petrol and I actually thought it was MORE noisy than the pre-FL model. I THINK they may have actually taken some sound deadening out. You could certainly try a bit of sound deadening felt, looking your yellow pages for car trimmers & upholsteres, a local place should see you with a big piece for £20.
You could also try some sound deadening pads from a local bodyshop factor, the self-adhesive black square.s Dont pay through the nose for this expensive silver stuff.

Tyres have a very big effect becase most of the noise is coming from the tyres and propageted through the bushes and into the chassis. The Octys have hard rubber bushes which tends to allow sound though. I have faund continental to be a quiet tyre. Bridgestones can be very noisy. All tyres seem to get noiser when they get a bit worn.
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - tyro
Some owners cut a big piece of soundproffing felt and put it under the boot carpet and it makes a big difference. Same under the back seats.

To what extent would that work in other cars as a means of making them quieter?
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - Nickdm
Some might say that the VRS is more sought-after by thieves, whereas the Mondeo is more ubiquitous and blends in more?

Also appraise the respective Skoda and Ford dealers - location and helpfulness. Who would you rather be dealing with for services, unscheduled visits, etc?

I'd fancy the Octy, but would probably capitulate and save 500 quid and be happy with the Mondeo as a "safer choice".
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - Felix
I'm interested in your suggestions but I'm afraid it's time for dumb questions... as a complete non-DIYer, is the felt or pads easy to fit? No idea how thick the felt it is, will it lie discreetly under the boot floor? Are you suggesting the pads as well as the felt, if so, how? My octy's only a few weeks old so don't want to do anything too destructive.
I have faund continental to be a quiet
tyre.

That's what I've got already :-(
New Car Advice Mondeo or Octavia - v0n
In terms of price, new vRS diesel and 2.2 Titanium X are about 3 grand and and one full class apart - Mondeo is more expensive and a contender to Superb, whereas Octavia is in Focus class.

When speccing new car, despite price difference, latest Mondeo represents pretty solid value. It is also several years ahead of Octavia design - not just better handling and dynamics, but when you compare it spec for spec - whatever Octavia has, Mondeo has more of it and whatever you can add to Octavia as option Mondeo has better option for it - the whole Human Machine Interface and Ford Convers+ wins hands down against Maxidot, bi-xenons on Mondeo vs xenons dipped beam on Octy, bluetooth with voice control against regular bluetooth with limited compatibility, hot + cold climate controlled seats vs heated seats, adaptive cruise control with forward alert vs cruise control, three stage active suspension vs sport suspension, seven airbags vs four airbags, heated windscreen, DAB radio, keyless entry etc etc etc - there is no doubt new Mondeo is ahead of Octavia.

Before anyone thinks I'm biased towards Ford, it's actually the other way round - I own Octavia at the moment and I'm expecting another one - I chose Octavia because of much better engine and gearbox range. But new Mondeo is a great car which can be superbly taylored for very reasonable money and in terms of equipment is a big step ahead. That said, all the advantages of Mondeo I listed above are almost completely irrelevant on second hand market, because in 99% of cases you'll be dealing with fleet manager specced models with no extras, no options, no upgrades and mix and match interiors (silver surrounds on grey plastics with glossy black radios and cloth seats). So new Mondeo Diesel vs new Octavia Diesel - Mondeo, after customizing is better choice overall. Used Mondeo Diesel vs new Octavia Diesel - I'd probably go for Octavia.