01 1.9 31mpg from a tdi 130 wots wrong with it - saxopower
i used to get around mid 40's to the gallon now im lucky to get over 32mpg.
iv had it on diagnostics today and the mass afm is slightly down but not by much.
what could it be, i gave it a full service when i bought it 5k miles ago.
also driving steady or driving fast it dosent seem to make a difference to how much fuel it uses.
im getting at tops if im lucky 150miles to £20.
there is no eml light when i put the ignition on but there were no fault codes either.
any help would be great
cheers
01 1.9 31mpg from a tdi 130 wots wrong with it - Dynamic Dave
Some of it will be down to winter fuel.
im getting at tops if im lucky 150miles to £20.

As fuel prices keep going up, you can't accurately measure your mpg by comparing how far £20 takes you.

btw, £20 of diesel @ £1.12 a litre works out to be approx 38 mpg if you've managed to travel 150 miles.

To accurately measure mpg you will need to brim the tank, reset the trip odometer, then whip out the calculator next time you fill up. Car fuel computers aren't always accurate so don't rely on that either.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/02/2010 at 19:24

01 1.9 31mpg from a tdi 130 wots wrong with it - craig-pd130

Have you changed the airfilter and cleaned out the airbox? After 15,000 miles from new in my 2003 Passat, I was horrified by how much crap there was in the airbox -- sand, grit, feathers, paper shreds ... literally handfuls of rubbish. The forward-facing intake snorkel really sucks the crap.

Is the handbrake binding?
01 1.9 31mpg from a tdi 130 wots wrong with it - Peter.N.
It will depend a lot on how and where you drive it. I would think that to only get 40 mpg you will have been driving it in traffic or hard, you should be able to get 50+ on a long gentle journey, I get that from my Citroen XM whch wieghs about a ton and a half and has an IDI engine.